Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So you really want to stream movies while in the air??

Is that even fair to the other pax who are paying for the service?
Based on the Panasonic DRM comment I believe the OP was referring to the PDE nonsense -- not streaming from the ground.

But regardless fairness/apportionment of a finite (air-to-ground bandwidth) resource should be enforced by the platform (throttling/packet shaping) and not individual users.
af fp likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Viasat on the premium EWR/SFO flights blocks the port that Words With Friends uses so that app won’t work This was a very old 757 with 7 rows and toilets with the blue liquid.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Viasat on the premium EWR/SFO flights blocks the port that Words With Friends uses so that app won’t work
Yes, I did notice that the ViaSat system blocked one of the internal functions related to flight plans that works on the Thales system.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Wifi was fine. If issues occurred, they lasted no more than an hour. I was surprised how well it worked. There were times when WiFi was broken, so that was a pain, especially if I flew over and back on the same aircraft. I downloaded a lot of programming on Netflix, which worked well.
What do you mean by it was broken? For the entire flight? You mean downloading Netflix over UA's wifi?

The only time I tried in-flight Wifi was with DL in a domestic flight. The speed was ok and I didn't think it would be fast enough for streaming. It was more for like browsing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2020 at 4:03 pm Reason: splitting post
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
.... What do you mean by it was broken? For the entire flight? ..
Internet access on an airplane is still an immature technology, it is getting better, but can drop out for many reasons.

....You mean downloading Netflix over UA's wifi? ...
You can download some content pre-flight to your computer and not need to depend on Internet access. Streaming directly from the internet on a plane is likely to have problems
....The speed was ok ....
Speed can be very variable depending an system used, system preformance, number on users, quality of the link from the airplane to satellite / ground stations, ...
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I had no idea. Why?

What do you mean by it was broken? For the entire flight? You mean downloading Netflix over UA's wifi?

The only time I tried in-flight Wifi was with DL in a domestic flight. The speed was ok and I didn't think it would be fast enough for streaming. It was more for like browsing.
Sometimes WiFi was broken. I had four legs once on the same aircraft without WiFi.

it doesn’t work for streaming. I downloaded programs on Netflix and watched them on the flight. I slept a lot!
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Sometimes WiFi was broken. I had four legs once on the same aircraft without WiFi.

it doesn’t work for streaming. I downloaded programs on Netflix and watched them on the flight. I slept a lot!
I'm guessing you signed up for the monthly wifi plan? I wonder if UA will reimburse customers for non-functioning wifi? Definitely fast enough for browsing? Do you know who is the wifi provider on that flight?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Do you know who is the wifi provider on that flight?
Internet access on UA long haul aircraft is satellite based, operated by Panasonic (TPAC) and not traditional ISPs. There a couple of versions commonly call Ka, Ku due to the frequency of operation (more detials in the referenced threads
UA Internet access systems
There are multiple exisiting threads on the performance of in flight wifi
Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi
United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ... and others
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I'm guessing you signed up for the monthly wifi plan? I wonder if UA will reimburse customers for non-functioning wifi? Definitely fast enough for browsing? Do you know who is the wifi provider on that flight?
I’ve been on a few flights where the FAs are proactive and explain how to request compensation. I suppose you could contact UA and get something.

I had an annual plan for WiFi.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I wonder if UA will reimburse customers for non-functioning wifi?
You may want to check here to see if there are any recent reports.

United Consolidated Compensation Thread
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: DL, UA
Wifi issues 737-7

Anyone else having consistent wifi issues on the 737-7? Very frustrating. Barely worked in either direction SNA-ORD-SNA this week.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Replace 737-7 with XXX-X and I’ll say yes.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by nw6338
Anyone else having consistent wifi issues on the 737-7? ....
A little more background would help?
What device type are you using?
What service is not working?
Any more details ?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, UA
The first flight was a plane-wide issue announced by the FA multiple times. Everyone seemed to be having issues with the service going in and out (mostly out). Using an iphone and macbook for the most part.

They reset the wifi 3 times on one flight- it'd work briefly then go out.

Last edited by nw6338; Oct 29, 2021 at 11:25 am
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by nw6338
The first flight was a plane-wide issue announced by the FA multiple times. Everyone seemed to be having issues with the service going in and out (mostly out). .
These whole plane issues do occur and obviously point to an UA equipment issue, my experiences on recent transcon 737 was fine.

Go to https://united.com/refund to get a refund of the fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.