Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I know it says you can access united.com for free, but the system seems to relegate the free access requests to the back of the queue. I've had the same issue, then paid, and voila - speed increased from worthlessly slow to only frustratringly slow.
This is an interesting observation. I've been wondering about this but never paid to test it. I've had 6-7 Airbus flights with wifi this year and each time experimented with united.com to see what the speed and reliability would be, and every time I've been disappointed.

As a result, I had decided that I would never waste money on such a terrible product, and I assume others have come to the same conclusion. If your observation is indeed a fact, United needs to state this somewhere. I would have purchased wifi on probably half of these flights had I trusted that it would be better after purchase. Just a simple asterisk on the wifi home page that discloses the free wifi speed is not "full speed".
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jasondc
well, on BOS-SFO you choose UA over AA as AA requires a connection.

So, if you want a nonstop, you fly UA.
Or JetBlue which is also rolling out WiFi faster than the Panasonic kit UA is running and they're deploying it very quickly as well.

Most (all??) of the old 752s aren't going to get WiFi. They're also not going to be around much longer.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
BKK-NRT-SFO Same for me. I was surprised how well it worked after hearing all the complaints.
+1
3/31 NRT-ORD, worked well over the Pacific and all the way until before landing at ORD.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:57 am

Oh that's right

I forgot JetBlue was on the route. They have up to 3 flights a day and united has up to 7. So I guess if they fly when I need it I could choose it over united. Don't think wifi would be the deciding factor. Just me though

Originally Posted by sbm12
Or JetBlue which is also rolling out WiFi faster than the Panasonic kit UA is running and they're deploying it very quickly as well.

Most (all??) of the old 752s aren't going to get WiFi. They're also not going to be around much longer.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
My last trip I sat next to a regular AA flyer who was simply incredulous. Couldn't conceive why I'd choose UA over AA on this route.
Are you still talking about BOS-SFO? Like everyone has said, AA doesn't even fly that route. Seems like a rather obvious reason.

I fly that route maybe 10x/year, virtually always on UA, and I don't have a strong preference between the "old" 757 and the "new" 737. Seems about a wash as far as the actual user experience.

I wouldn't choose B6 in Y over UA in F, just because they have wifi.

Last edited by DaviddesJ; Apr 3, 2014 at 9:09 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Charge for wifi

Sorry if this has been discussed/is a dumb question, but is there a charge for wifi throughout the plane or only in Y?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Sorry if this has been discussed/is a dumb question, but is there a charge for wifi throughout the plane or only in Y?
All passengers are charged as of now; no comp for premium cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My experience matches most here - Transocean flights have been surpirsingly good - CONUS intolerable. Maybe no one on OTW flights thinks its avaialable so it's all mine but who knows .
This is what I think. On my NRT-SFO flight I asked the FA if there was wifi onboard and he said "I have no idea". I only happpened to notice on the BKK-NRT flight by accident when I was putting my ipad into airplane mode. No announcements on either flight.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chavala
This is what I think. On my NRT-SFO flight I asked the FA if there was wifi onboard and he said "I have no idea". I only happpened to notice on the BKK-NRT flight by accident when I was putting my ipad into airplane mode. No announcements on either flight.
UA flight status will always tell you before the flight, because the computer system obviously knows which plane is flying.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Are you still talking about BOS-SFO? Like everyone has said, AA doesn't even fly that route. Seems like a rather obvious reason.
Geez, lighten up. My seatmate's manner clearly implied that AA still flew a nonstop on the route. They used to when I was in college, so I was under the impression they still did. Apparently VX and B6 scared them off.

It's so easy to see why new users are turned off by the hostility on this board.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:28 pm
Suspended

It seems that AA flew SFO-BOS until 2010.

American Airlines nixes SFO-Boston nonstops

I don't have any hostility toward you. I'm a bit bemused by your seatmate who apparently flies AA all the time and was on a UA flight SFO-BOS and gave you a hard time for not flying the superior AA. What was his excuse?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
It seems that AA flew SFO-BOS until 2010.

American Airlines nixes SFO-Boston nonstops

I don't have any hostility toward you. I'm a bit bemused by your seatmate who apparently flies AA all the time and was on a UA flight SFO-BOS and gave you a hard time for not flying the superior AA. What was his excuse?
Ha. I dunno. Maybe he was exaggerating his AA status. No hard feelings. I'm not nearly as hardcore a road warrior as some here!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:01 pm

One of my flights on United coming from sac offered 1 he Wi-Fi for 2$. Significantly cheaper. I took it up and did the obligatory speed test.

Last edited by purduephotog; Oct 12, 2014 at 8:03 pm Reason: fix pic link
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Have flown on A320s and 737-900s lately and the WiFi speed on the A320s is really good whereas I've had problems with the 737 aircraft. Always have problems with the 737 portal too!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
730 ms ping time? Yipes!

If it's a satellite, that means it's about 65,000 miles up. Yowza!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.