Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Old May 28, 2018, 4:13 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Can you SDC to a plane with direct tv? Also, since you posted just past midnight, I want to make sure you realize the game in today (Monday).
Old May 28, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Streaming??? Where are you guys flying that youre getting the WiFi speed for that?

when I have bought in flight WiFi it has been barely usable for emails and websites.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
If you test the wifi speed using an app most the time it between 30-50 mbps But in real use it seems slow alot of times.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Is that even legal? Advertising one price and charging another?
I've seen that too. They offer one price and when you sign in to buy it shows higher price. What made it wrse for me was that they were quick to sell me a monthly pass but when I went to use that pass there was warning language all over that stated I might need to wait up to 24 hours to use it. I went back and found that the warning language was present before purchase -- but only in the fine print.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Got a $150 ETC for letting 1K voice know my Wi-Fi wasn't working on a trip from LAS-EWR. Didn't ask for anything, just gave them a heads up.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by david_oz
Streaming??? Where are you guys flying that youre getting the WiFi speed for that?

when I have bought in flight WiFi it has been barely usable for emails and websites.
Some places around the globe wifi is really good. Stream is possible at the lowest resolution with occasional disconnects.
To answer your question around the globe on 772 or 789 has been fine.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Nope, not legal. I'd send a screenshot to UA refunds and ask for the difference--they'll probably refund the whole thing.
I'd already done that before posting here, notifying them of the issue and requesting the $3 price difference be refunded.

As expected, they refunded the entire amount, and commented that they would notify the relevant teams of the change-in-price issue...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Had not noticed this disclaimer on previous e-mails about the Inflight WiFi and entertainment for my upcoming flight. However, connectivity for me recently has only worked between LAX-SAN (which is along the cost of the USA according to my geography). Is this disclaimer new or have I just never noticed it before. I am guessing this may limit future payouts for lack of free WiFi for the inflight entertainment. "‡ Wi-Fi Internet on this flight is limited to within the continental United States. Depending on the route plan,connectivity may not be available along the coast of the U.S. or in Canada."
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:45 am

I recently used United-Wi-Fi between MCO-EWR and it worked well enough for me which is a first and it was fast, fast enough to stream YouTube TV over my VPN without any issue.

I know that on DELTA birds with GoGo 2Ku streaming is allowed and encouraged. On those 2Ku flights it seems that GoGo is actually less expensive and way faster than the older GoGo ATG-4 or whatever the EV-DO GoGo is called.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Out on both flights yesterday. To their credit, crew offered compensation to all pax.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by david_oz

Delta 2KU equipped with Gogo
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Had not noticed this disclaimer on previous e-mails about the Inflight WiFi and entertainment for my upcoming flight. However, connectivity for me recently has only worked between LAX-SAN (which is along the cost of the USA according to my geography). Is this disclaimer new or have I just never noticed it before. I am guessing this may limit future payouts for lack of free WiFi for the inflight entertainment. " Wi-Fi Internet on this flight is limited to within the continental United States. Depending on the route plan,connectivity may not be available along the coast of the U.S. or in Canada."
Interesting. I just got off a flight from YVR-SFO. Wi fi didn't work until the last 30 minutes of the flight, which gave about 10 minutes on my laptop until they started securing the cabin for landing. I don't recall this disclaimer about flying along the coast before. I don't expect it to work to Hawaii, or in Canada, but how far out to sea could we have been when flying alongside Washington, Oregon, and California?
Not sure whether it's worth an email to 1K Voice?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
Interesting. I just got off a flight from YVR-SFO. Wi fi didn't work until the last 30 minutes of the flight, which gave about 10 minutes on my laptop until they started securing the cabin for landing. I don't recall this disclaimer about flying along the coast before. I don't expect it to work to Hawaii, or in Canada, but how far out to sea could we have been when flying alongside Washington, Oregon, and California?
If you paid for the WiFi, I would contact them. I stopped paying for the WiFi - never made a claim when I did pay for it, but the paid WiFi not working for me was often enough for me to decide it was not worth the hassle. Think it was twice - first time: shame on United, second time: shame on me for not learning the first time it happened.

These days it is the lack of the WiFi for the inflight entertainment which is supposedly free but only available if the WiFi is working which it has not on most of my recent flights. I am now taking a book with me on my domestic legs but I do not know why United keeps saying there is inflight entertainment - it does not work on my domestic legs( except LAX-SAN which is only time for one quick 20 minute TV show).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by transportprof
I've found it pretty bad along the gulf coast too. I don't really know why this is given the satellite basis and coverage thereof. I think United needs to hear about this. Wifi isn't cheap, and the unreliability is probably worse than having a chance at it at all.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Oddly I had issues on an out and back Saturday both flights. Morning PHL-IAH (mainline) had to be reset twice then worked great. Evening flight IAH-PHL was reset once but never worked though no one complained again as everyone slept or watched seatback TV (mainline, I was up front in both). I have been lucky lately as these were my first two problems in months (I have the subscription).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.