Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
What is the available WiFi bandwidth on a United 737? I’ve always been interested in how they build the in-plane network infrastructure to handle several dozen simultaneous connections, many of which may be continuously consuming bandwidth due to video streaming.
No different from wifi anywhere else. 802.11b has a max throughput of 11Mbit/s, 802.11g is 54Mbit/s, per connection.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
No different from wifi anywhere else. 802.11b has a max throughput of 11Mbit/s, 802.11g is 54Mbit/s, per connection.
I’d hope they are at least using 802.11n, which is significantly faster. The challenge is that the bandwidth is not per device, it’s per access point. (Or per antenna for some access points) 100 tablets and laptops all sharing even 300Mbps on a single access point is going to be barely serviceable. My guess is they use multiple access points through the plane to distribute the load.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
United’s WiFi underinvestment is a real problem

I just flew UA653 — LAX-IAD, operated by an international 752 — after flying a 738 IAD-LAX last week. Both times, I tried to use my $69 United global WiFi subscription. Both times, the WiFi was spotty when not inoperative.

On the outbound, it actually worked well for the first two hours, only to die over Kansas without warning. And, like Franco, it stayed dead. Even this partial use was impressive, since the FA had gotten on the intercom during boarding to announce that the WiFi, including Private Screening, would be wholly inoperative.

On the return, the WiFi was actually more frustrating, permitting the occasional text message or short email to escape the cabin before crapping out. Yes, I know there are some connectivity dead zones en route, but all the way between Arizona and Ohio?

(The outbound inoperation did provide its own preflight entertainment, as a disgruntled Global Services passenger complained loudly enough that a harried gate supervisor rushed onboard ten minutes before pushback to give him compensation as the rest of the F cabin watched, unrewarded.)

United needs to appreciate this problem for what it is. WiFi is not just an additional, ancillary product, like a buy-on-board snack or an E+ upgrade. It’s a communications option the airline advertises and that business travelers — say, between IAD and LAX — rely on. In my limited experience with AA, DL sand B6, the WiFi works reliably; when will UA make the investments necessary to achieve the same? Especially on the 752, an aircraft they run on their most premium transcons and many business-heavy TATL routes?
I’m taking as much of a stand as I can by canceling my monthly subscription. If the WiFi is going to be so unreliable that it only works effectively on half of my flights, I estimate that I’d save money buying it on a one-off basis, and I will write United explaining that decision in the hopes that I’m counted as one more customer complaint about their unreliable product.
(Also ask me how it took four hours to get through on sitting of Black Panther. But that’s a gripe about antiquated entertainment systems on 752s.)

Last edited by ezefllying; May 21, 2018 at 2:52 am
Old May 21, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They seem to know it's so bad, since they've implemented automatic refunds when it has certain issues.

The reliable stuff on AA/DL is Gogo ATG, which is quite slow. UA has it on their subfleets for business-heavy markets, 757 P.S. and ExPlus. DL's satellite based Gogo 2KU has been a reliability disaster this last winter.

Originally Posted by ezefllying
I know there are some connectivity dead zones en route, but all the way between Arizona and Ohio?
New Mexico is one of the general wifi dead spots due to WSMR.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Totally agree.

I’ve had very bad luck with the UA WiFi, and it’s VERY frustrating to not know if it will be there even if the plane is ‘WiFi equipped’

Prob fully worked on only about 50% of my recent flights.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
The reliable stuff on AA/DL is Gogo ATG, which is quite slow. UA has it on their subfleets for business-heavy markets, 757 P.S. and ExPlus. DL's satellite based Gogo 2KU has been a reliability disaster this last winter.
I've heard of deicing procedures blowing out wifi on Delta A319s, but not general reliability problems with the satellite 2Ku wifi on 400+ narrowbodies in the DL fleet. The widebodies and lie-flat 757s have the older gen satellite Ku service.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mduell
They seem to know it's so bad, since they've implemented automatic refunds when it has certain issues.

New Mexico is one of the general wifi dead spots due to WSMR.
What is WSMR?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
What is WSMR?
White Sands Missile Range -- it is reportedly a dead zone for satellite wifi coverage, required by USA Gov

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: link
Old May 21, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
1262 EWR-DEN not working at all today and the FA made an announcement prior to take off that it wouldn't be working. Asked her about compensation and 2 minutes later the pilot comes on saying, 'The wi-fi will not be working, ask the CSR at DEN about compensation, the FA's don't handle this' (somewhat paraphrased).
Old May 22, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
White Sands Missile Range -- it is reportedly a dead zone for satellite wifi coverage, required by USA Gov
THANKS!
Old May 23, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Wifi was inoperable on my LAX-IAD DTV flight on May 19. My GPU filed on that route (and the transatlantic), and no compensation was offered. (I didn't complain.)

The wifi situation is ridiculous.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:00 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Announced this morning it's down on IAD-SFO. FA said it's inop on 75% of the flights in her experience.

It hasn't worked for me yet this year, FWIW. Out on every single longhaul I've been on, and on the few domestic flights, too.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:31 am

SFO-IAH, last week
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Announced this morning it's down on IAD-SFO. FA said it's inop on 75% of the flights in her experience.

It hasn't worked for me yet this year, FWIW. Out on every single longhaul I've been on, and on the few domestic flights, too.
This seems true to me, or even conservative. I did have fully, all-the-way functional wifi once recently, but I have to go back many more than four flights to think of another.

Originally Posted by malgudi
img

SFO-IAH, last week

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United ?

(Rather, I imagine some passenger is just having a laugh.)
Old May 23, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My recent experience has been that WIFI on flights has improved especially on UX . Currently on UA934, EWR-LHR, and WIFI is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.