Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by physioprof
As an example, it is nearly impossible to use any kind of remote desktop app from in the air.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Would you mind talking to our IT Director, who insists my issues using Citrix while traveling are figments of my imagination?
I do a decent amount of RDP work. It certainly isn't like being on the ground but it generally is sufficient for my needs. But my work is mostly console stuff which is just text once I'm connected.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
They need to settle for one sign-in paradigm and that paradigm had better include rapid sign-in capabilities.
That's the ultimate goal. Getting all the portals updated and operating the same is not an overnight task.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
WiFi & Samsung Galaxy S5?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. It won't stay connected to United's WiFi. It connects, I start watching a streaming TV show or movie in the app, and then two minutes later the connection drops. I reconnect, then three minutes later it drops again. Happened on three different aircraft this week.

By contrast, my five-year-old iPod connects on the plane and happily stays connected, streaming away for hours.

Anyone else know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:55 am

Might want to try clearing the cache partition and see if that helps....

Google it or follow this link.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Assuming that you're running Android 5.0 or later, check your Wifi settings and see if "Smart Network Switch" is set. I leave that feature off and my connections seem stable.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by DrewGzy

Google it or follow this link.
Thanks. Just cleared the cache. I have my next flight on Monday - I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Considering it is 'public' wifi, I'm pretty happy with it. Except for it blocking some "Firearms/Bomb" websites, when you can get a Guns&Ammo magazine (not a clip) in the newstand on the concourse...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Why is United one of the few airlines globally that does not accept iPass as a method of payment except for the Gogo PS ones? Honestly I would buy it every time if I knew the bill was going directly to my employer's account rather than my expense report. It's not like iPass does not pay the airlines for the roaming login. Come on United!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:25 pm

I have logged into a ridiculously secure VPN for my work over China, the Atlantic, Midwestern states, etc. Probably in the last 40 flights 5 times I've had Wifi completely bunk out and not work at all. I find the wifi to be quite good all things considered. Always reminds of the Louis CK bit. We are flying at 500 miles per hour in a silver tube. The fact that wifi is a complaint is pretty remarkable.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. It won't stay connected to United's WiFi. It connects, I start watching a streaming TV show or movie in the app, and then two minutes later the connection drops. I reconnect, then three minutes later it drops again. Happened on three different aircraft this week.

By contrast, my five-year-old iPod connects on the plane and happily stays connected, streaming away for hours.

Anyone else know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
On your S5, go into the Wi-Fi settings, and select the advanced settings portion. Here, you'll find an option to let your phone manage the connection. What is happening here is that Samsung is trying to be too clever, and when you have Wi-Fi, but no connection to the Internet, it just kills the connection,
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I tried using it on a new EMB-175 last week and it wasn't working. My phone couldn't even find the Wifi network. Two UA flights in a row for me I haven't been able to use Wifi on
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by CMK10
I tried using it on a new EMB-175 last week and it wasn't working. My phone couldn't even find the Wifi network. Two UA flights in a row for me I haven't been able to use Wifi on
Similar experience on my last two flights, but in my case the network was available but no devices could log in, even once we got to cruising altitude. The FAs just shrugged and said as far as they could see it was working.

I don't expect them to be IT pros, but I do wish they'd take complaints seriously.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by gglave

Originally Posted by DrewGzy
Did this last weekend. Had two flights yesterday. WiFi connection repeatedly dropped again - Couldn't stream anything.

Originally Posted by StingWest
Assuming that you're running Android 5.0 or later, check your Wifi settings and see if "Smart Network Switch" is set.
It's always off.

Originally Posted by ScottC
On your S5, go into the Wi-Fi settings, and select the advanced settings portion. Here, you'll find an option to let your phone manage the connection.
I don't see this setting? I'm running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.

Any other solutions? I'd prefer to use my S5 over my ol' iPod - The screen on the S5 is so much better.

Last edited by gglave; Jan 13, 2016 at 4:54 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Bad wifi yesterday

from AUS to SFO 737. Could view the flight map but moved never connected. The guy across the isle seemed to be watching a movie but not sure from where.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
wifi not working?

anybody get wifi in the last week or so?

four days, one trans-atl, three domestic, one transpac. on all five "we're sorry but due to <excuse>, there is no wifi on this flight." it appears to be systemic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2015 at 4:45 pm Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Have had WiFi on a transcon flight last Friday and also today.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2015 at 4:44 pm Reason: deleted response to deleted comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.