Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier
So how often does wifi work internationally?
I am 1/6 on my last six international flights, including a 15-hour BOM-EWR segment. This is my second biggest annoyance with UA this year. (Number 1 is operational unreliability - but that is for a different thread.)

Bottom line: assume it will not work, and be pleasantly surprised if it does!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've found that when the domestic 737 system works it's pretty good. But if you want to see how much time is left and you've navigated away from the page where that is displayed you can't get back. Also, if on that page and you select 'pause' to pause your service another page comes up and the meter keeps right on chugging along -- only now you have no meter to tell you how much time is left. Those two items are MST annoying.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I've been on 5-6 TCON, and 5-6 TPAC/TATL, and they've all worked great, with the exception of one TPAC, where they mentioned the service was DOA as we boarded.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've found that when the domestic 737 system works it's pretty good. But if you want to see how much time is left and you've navigated away from the page where that is displayed you can't get back. Also, if on that page and you select 'pause' to pause your service another page comes up and the meter keeps right on chugging along -- only now you have no meter to tell you how much time is left. Those two items are MST annoying.
There is some way of navigating back to the unitedwifi.com page, but I can't remember what it is. I've done it, though. Maybe it was from my browser history? Or maybe I just typed in unitedwifi.com?

I wonder if one can just use this link?
https://www.unitedwifi.com/portal/site/connected

Anyway, I've successfully used the pause button. It's actually one of the best features of United's wifi system.

I have to say I've become a fan of United's wifi system. I'll buy it every time. The only exception is the GoGo wifi which I find to be overpriced. But let me put on my nomex suit because I know a lot of folks in this thread feel the opposite.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by lensman
Anyway, I've successfully used the pause button. It's actually one of the best features of United's wifi system.

I have to say I've become a fan of United's wifi system. I'll buy it every time. The only exception is the GoGo wifi which I find to be overpriced. But let me put on my nomex suit because I know a lot of folks in this thread feel the opposite.
Agree on both parts - if you just go back to unitedwifi.com it will show the meter and the pause button again. You can also try opening up a new browser window/tab and you will get the option again. These options have given me success 100% of the time. ^

I also agree that GoGo is overpriced...and much slower from my experience. So thats at least two of us, and I am not ashamed to admit that. But lately I feel like this is the website to come tell people about how unhappy you are and how you are going to move to AA/DL.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JC5280
Agree on both parts - if you just go back to unitedwifi.com it will show the meter and the pause button again. You can also try opening up a new browser window/tab and you will get the option again. These options have given me success 100% of the time. ^
That's never happened for me -- particularly the part about creating a new browser tab. It'll be blank until I type in an address. But I'll try going back to unitedwifi.com next time as I'm not completely sure I've dne that.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That's never happened for me -- particularly the part about creating a new browser tab. It'll be blank until I type in an address. But I'll try going back to unitedwifi.com next time as I'm not completely sure I've dne that.
It's not clear to me how just creating a new browser tab will bring up the unitedwifi status page.

Another option if you get desperate and nothing seems to work is to transfer your wifi to another device. I do that quite a bit as I often finish up work on my work laptop then transfer my wifi connection to my MacBook for most of the remainder of the flight - also to use iMessage to send annoying "i'm messaging you from 35,000 feet" messages to my family and friends.

Note if you do this and then want to switch back, you *will* automatically get sent to the unitedwifi page to authorize the transfer of your wifi back to your original device.

Really I just love the flexibility of the unitedwifi options.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA858 PVG-SFO 744 now over TYO. It's working pretty well -- I'm surprised! My track record is about 20% on getting reasonable service on the international Wifi- equipped birds.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Getting fine service right now on A320 EWR-SNA.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
Getting fine service right now on A320 EWR-SNA.
On UA 933 from FRA to IAD right now getting about two bytes per minute - FA have rebooted a dozen times and telling me that's just how satellite wifi is lol....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:56 pm

One thing I've noticed is that my wifi performance varies a lot between devices even on the same flight. Performance using my company's VPN is usable but terrible in many cases. What's odd is that it's not uniformly terrible, but depends on the use case. I wonder if this is due to chatty protocols or the way certain websites are built.

Speedtest.net shows decent performance when I can get the flash app to work. But over VPN it's hard to even get the speedtest flash app to work at all.

I will have remember to firebug the problem sites next time.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
UA 767-300 into EZE. No wifi. ?

The plane had a wifi sticker on it. Told by Purser service has not been working recently. Anyone know why? Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by lensman
One thing I've noticed is that my wifi performance varies a lot between devices even on the same flight. Performance using my company's VPN is usable but terrible in many cases. What's odd is that it's not uniformly terrible, but depends on the use case. I wonder if this is due to chatty protocols or the way certain websites are built.

Speedtest.net shows decent performance when I can get the flash app to work. But over VPN it's hard to even get the speedtest flash app to work at all.

I will have remember to firebug the problem sites next time.
The thing about satellite connections to the Internet is that latency is really slow, even though throughput can be reasonably high. So any kind of protocol that relies on repeated exchanges of packets back and forth will be super slow, even though you can download large files quickly. As an example, it is nearly impossible to use any kind of remote desktop app from in the air.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
As an example, it is nearly impossible to use any kind of remote desktop app from in the air.
Would you mind talking to our IT Director, who insists my issues using Citrix while traveling are figments of my imagination?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The worst part is how big of a pain it is to even sign up. On some flights, it takes my United account and will automatically charge my CC on file. Other flights, I need to enter in my name, address, CC details etc. On shorter flights, they are losing out on revenue because I simply can't be bothered to wait till we are over 10,000 feet... fill all those fields on my tiny phone keyboard, then have a 50% chance the wifi will actually work for the remaining 40 min we are over 10,000 feet.

They need to settle for one sign-in paradigm and that paradigm had better include rapid sign-in capabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.