FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Save 25% on MileagePlus Saver Awards for flights to Japan in April (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565510-save-25-mileageplus-saver-awards-flights-japan-april.html)

FlytheTail Apr 1, 2014 5:20 pm

Save 25% on MileagePlus Saver Awards for flights to Japan in April

Just received an E-mail, does not appear to be targeted: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=A13964. To qualify, book between March 31 and April 17, 2014, then complete your travel between April 1 and April 30, 2014. Only valid for coach travel.

1. Saver Award discount is valid for air travel only. Promotion period ends 11:59 p.m. (CT) on April 17, 2014.
2. Offer is valid for travel between April 1, 2014, and April 30, 2014. Travel must be completed by April 30, 2014.
3. Discount is only valid for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights and is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
4. Saver Award discount is valid only for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Guam) or Canada and Japan.
5. Discount is valid only for roundtrip travel in United Economy.
6. Roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin region to a destination region with return travel beginning in the destination region back to the origin region with all segments on flights operated by United or United Express. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
7. A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
8. Open jaw itineraries within the same region qualify for the discount (e.g., fly into Chicago O'Hare and out of New York/Newark).
9. This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
10. United Economy roundtrip Saver Awards are redeemable at 70,000 miles for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Guam) or Canada and Japan. During the promotion period, these Saver Awards are redeemable at 52,500 miles. Award pricing is subject to change without notice. Passenger is responsible for all taxes, fees, baggage service charges and surcharges applicable to award travel, including, with respect to government-imposed taxes and fees, passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18.00 per roundtrip; September 11 Security Fee of up to $10.00 per roundtrip (one-way travel may incur fees in excess of $5.00); U.S. segment tax of $4.00 for each domestic segment (takeoff and landing); U.S. excise tax of $17.20 for each international arrival and departure in the U.S.; U.S. inspection fees of up to $17.20 for each arrival in the U.S.; and non-U.S. government ticket taxes, fees and airport charges may add up to $265 per ticket as of January 1, 2014. Such taxes, fees and surcharges must be paid at the time of ticketing and are subject to change. Any valid unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center, for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. Award seats are subject to availability and capacity-control restrictions apply. For more information on MileagePlus award travel, visit united.com/awards. Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
11. This offer is not combinable with other offers.
12. This offer can be combined with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Awards one way and Saver Awards one way) but only the flight segment purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for the discount.
13. Only MileagePlus Global ServicesSM members and primary cardholders of select MileagePlus credit cards issued by Chase are eligible for upgrades on award tickets.
14. Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling the United Customer Contact Center. Changes may be subject to additional service fees of up to $200 per ticket (based on account status at time that miles were redeemed):
After an award ticket is issued, service charges may be imposed for each requested change that necessitates the re-issuance of the ticket.
If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the promotion period, the mileage will be credited back into the member's account, subject to an applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the mileage-redemption rate commensurate with the new award.
15. If the value of a partially used ticket is applied to travel outside of the promotion period, a new one-way ticket must be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage-redemption rate must be redeemed. The unused return portion of the ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member's account.
16. Redemption of additional award miles may be required if any portion of the itinerary is outside of the promotion period.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 1, 2014 5:26 pm

I don't understand why Hawaii is excluded. The HNL-NRT flight I'm on in a week and a half is only half-full in coach.

FlyingNut724 Apr 1, 2014 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 22631725)
Just received an E-mail, does not appear to be targeted: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=A13964. To qualify, book between March 31 and April 17, 2014, then complete your travel between April 1 and April 30, 2014. Only valid for coach travel.

I received that offer too. I guess people are flying other carriers to Japan.

WineCountryUA Apr 1, 2014 5:29 pm

Pretty short time horizon and too early for Golden Week. Travel bookings in April to Japan must be pretty light.

bmwe92fan Apr 1, 2014 5:37 pm

I am in Japan now - the drop off in travel and sales has been startling due to the new consumption tax beginning. Part of my business has a retail component and last week we set records for sales - this week you can hear the crickets... Not sure if that is what is going on but traditionally April was a pretty good month for sales and tourism in Japan - due to things like Cherry trees and all the festivals...

Many retailers here have special sales programs only for April designed to "bridge the gap" - maybe United wants to fill planes and use up miles and reduce their future liability???

cesco.g Apr 1, 2014 6:38 pm

With NRT being de-hubbed, I am wondering if this a sign of more folks not putting up with the ANA replacement (e.g. BKK) and are abandoning UA flights in favor of other carriers.

mahasamatman Apr 1, 2014 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 22632097)
With NRT being de-hubbed

NRT was never really a hub for United.

JapanFlyerT Apr 1, 2014 8:04 pm

Just missed out I guess. Flew SEA-YVR-HND-KIX (NH) on 3.31 arrived 4.1

Business class had 4 customers, but econ was 70% full.

duffman1278 Apr 1, 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724 (Post 22631766)
I received that offer too. I guess people are flying other carriers to Japan.

Why fly united when you can take ANA. Far better service and FA's. I'm a MP member but I try to avoid united for the most part when I fly to Japan.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 1, 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22632229)
NRT was never really a hub for United.

?

I guess that statement is a function of your definition of "hub". It certainly once was - it's now becoming an endpoint.

spin88 Apr 1, 2014 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22631769)
Pretty short time horizon and too early for Golden Week. Travel bookings in April to Japan must be pretty light.

Going in two weeks, and its ANA.... And note that when I bought the tickets UAL was at least $150 less RT on every day I checked.

With the pull down in connecting service and UAL's poor service quality and product why would anyone take UAL to Japan?

username Apr 1, 2014 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 22632825)
With the pull down in connecting service and UAL's poor service quality and product why would anyone take UAL to Japan?

E+, lifetime miles and GPU?

TennisNoob Apr 1, 2014 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by duffman1278 (Post 22632630)
Why fly united when you can take ANA. Far better service and FA's. I'm a MP member but I try to avoid united for the most part when I fly to Japan.

If you fly Business than you should take United instead if a dreamliner is on your route.

diamond0924 Apr 2, 2014 4:08 am

If I am already in Japan, can I cancel the return portion, rebook a new RT flight (within the promotional period) leaving from NRT, and the cancel the return of that flight later? I'm not worried about fees as a 1K, but I've heard that you can't cancel partially used tickets.

Thanks!

5khours Apr 2, 2014 4:52 am

Let's see.

1. They're selling RDM at 2.3 cpm.

2. So 52,000 RDM would cost $1196.

3. You can buy an economy fare from many US cities for less than this.

It never made sense to redeem miles for international economy travel. Even with a 25% discount on the redemption cost, it still doesn't make sense.

The only thing this will do is to incent people who were otherwise going to pay cash to redeem their miles which have been rapidly diminishing in value.

You can tell UA is in trouble when they start resorting to these kinds of moronic marketing campaigns.