Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by lewende
People in this hemisphere may not be aware of how booming a business is at China right now for award seat scalping. Due to the language and food preference, CA (Air China) F and C cabin award seats are in high demand from Chinese travelers. As such, award seat scalpers in China are constantly looking for TPAC award inventory for their clients and if they find no inventories available, they will create availability by themselves.

If this hypothesis is correct, then soon after the award seats were
cancelled, someone booked one or other of the two legs with an
award seat. Seems it ought to be fairly easy for an IT person to track
down, if United and Air China cooperate. And if there is a pattern,
the "scalpers" could be identified.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nihaoa
I am victim 1. This is what I got from UA--"I can confirm, our system indicates someone logged in as a guest, canceled XXXXXX at 10:42pm and then canceled XXXXXX at 10:50pm".
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by sosafan
If this hypothesis is correct, then soon after the award seats were
cancelled, someone booked one or other of the two legs with an
award seat. Seems it ought to be fairly easy for an IT person to track
down, if United and Air China cooperate. And if there is a pattern,
the "scalpers" could be identified.
Agree, but this needs cooperation between UA and CA, which I will not hold my breath onto it.

At the end of the day, it would be best for everybody if UA may enhance the security features of online award ticket cancellation to prevent such incidents from happening again.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It works - not really better or worse than any other.
Really? Have you tried a DL or even AA award booking recently???

I don't have much nice to say about UA these days, but online award booking and the mobile app are among the few things it does best compared to DL/AA
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I am victim 1. This is what I got from UA--"I can confirm, our system indicates someone logged in as a guest, canceled XXXXXX at 10:42pm and then canceled XXXXXX at 10:50pm".
Basically United needs to responsible for tickets cancelled in this manner and re-instate on the original itin booked in original class or find suitable alternatives until they fix the their website security issues.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
In other words, they cancelled it with name + PNR rather than from the account that booked the tickets.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
In other words, they cancelled it with name + PNR rather than from the account that booked the tickets.
yep, since there is straight to cancel without any other verification....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
Don't worry about the IP address comment. The history in SHARES is so convoluted, they probably didn't read it right anyway.
Does UA keep track of IP address when people log on MP account?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
They should, but I found it very hard to believe upthread that UA phone agents have access to see the IP address and confirm it was same as the one that booked the ticket in the first place. Perhaps the agent was confused and thought they were referring to MP #... Or the agent was making something up.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
Don't worry about the IP address comment. The history in SHARES is so convoluted, they probably didn't read it right anyway.
Not really. The IP address of every single action is logged pretty clearly in the PNR notes. I've got a printout of a recent trip and it reads something like this:
Code:
1. WEB CO*COM RESERVATIONS - ua
2. AVAILABILITY SOURCE - ITA
3. WEB CLIENT 24.215.NNN.YYY - PERFORMREWARDUPGRADE
The IP info is very, very clear.
Originally Posted by kb1992
Does UA keep track of IP address when people log on MP account?
Yes. Every action on a record is quite closely tracked.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Could this possibly be related to "HeartBleed"?
Unlikely for a variety of reasons. Among them UA uses Microsoft IIS and ASP.NET on their back-end systems, not OpenSSL, as I understand it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not really. The IP address of every single action is logged pretty clearly in the PNR notes.

Yes. Every action on a record is quite closely tracked.

Why does UA spend such resource on keeping track of IP address of every single action on a PNR?

Don't they have other better things to do, such as improving their website?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
Why does UA spend such resource on keeping track of IP address of every single action on a PNR?

Don't they have other better things to do, such as improving their website?
You do realise the IP addresses are not inputted manually into the PNR, right?

Also, I'm surprised you can't see the benefit of knowing the IP of the computer which actioned changes on the PNR.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by stargold

Also, I'm surprised you can't see the benefit of knowing the IP of the computer which actioned changes on the PNR.
So, assuming that the IP is part of the record sent to AC - would be really quite trivial to spoof that IP when cancelling - thus covering their tracks easily and making UA think the original person did it....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold

Limited benefit. My devices have different IP addresses when I'm at home or on the road. So do yours.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
So, assuming that the IP is part of the record sent to AC - would be really quite trivial to spoof that IP when cancelling - thus covering their tracks easily and making UA think the original person did it....
The IP address logged in this manner is not the type of information that will be conveyed to CA, since the information can only be "shared with" other carriers if they are contained in the SSR/OSI sections, which are separate from the internal comments section of the PNR which is where the IP address is most likely listed. So having access to the PNR through CA's side of the system will be unlikely to reveal the IP address.
Originally Posted by kale73
Limited benefit. My devices have different IP addresses when I'm at home or on the road. So do yours.
Even if you are using different locations for access, there is likely to be enough information that can be gleaned from the IP addresses and their pattern such as the geographical location and pattern of use.

Of course, the IP address is not foolproof so it won't help against an intelligent and determined attacker, but then again we still have locks on various doors even though they can be picked or otherwise defeated, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.