FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565063-2014-ua-issued-awards-air-china-ca-mysteriously-being-canceled-hacked.html)

IAHMCI Aug 21, 2014 10:28 am

Here are the details

http://airlineroute.net/2014/08/21/c...fk-w14update1/

kirkwoodj Aug 21, 2014 11:43 am

:mad: Yup, screwed up my trip, since I was leaving on a Thursday... $%*&!

Welp, at least now I don't hafta worry about my CA flights mysteriously disappearing! Rebooked on UA, losing an afternoon...

jglenn16 Aug 29, 2014 7:47 am

Does anyone know if this is still an issue or if it's still possible for CA reservations made with UA to be "hacked"?

I just tried to access my reservation without logging in and while it doesn't provide a "cancel" option anymore, it does provide a "change" flight option. If it still provides the option to "change" a flight, you would think malicious person that has access to my last name and UA record locator still change my reservation to some random flight/route that would essentially "cancel" my current reservation.

crnk Aug 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Data point: "Just" got off of IAH-PEK in J about 24 hours ago. Reservation was a-ok and the only real issues I had were that I was showing as being unpaid for my 3rd bag because they didn't have my *G FF on the ticket and the transfer desk took about a year to open to get my second boarding pass (ok. I think it was only 100-120 minutes of wait, plus the impact of going through the transfer customs that much later in the morning.)

747FC Nov 15, 2014 3:27 pm

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Data Point: no problem completing my HKG-PEK J flight a week ago.

channa Nov 15, 2014 11:12 pm

Data point: My CA tickets for Dec/Jan appeared fine on the UA side, but when I called CA to get seats a couple weeks ago, they said one of us was fine, the other was cancelled by UA. No email was received, and the UA side looked fine on both.

I've asked UA Insider for help, and he's been working with CA. Hoping they can get us fixed up.

UA-NYC Nov 16, 2014 4:48 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23848528)
Data point: My CA tickets for Dec/Jan appeared fine on the UA side, but when I called CA to get seats a couple weeks ago, they said one of us was fine, the other was cancelled by UA. No email was received, and the UA side looked fine on both.

I've asked UA Insider for help, and he's been working with CA. Hoping they can get us fixed up.

Good luck, keep us updated w/any resolution

Loren Pechtel Nov 16, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23848528)

I got to thinking about this--perhaps what's going on is some hacker figured out how to trick CA into thinking they got a cancel request.

No notice is sent because CA thinks UA would have sent the notice.

I still don't see what their game is, though, unless it's simply to get a seat when the class is full.

changey2 Nov 19, 2014 11:20 am

Heard from a friend who has connection in Air China saying they'll get seats for higher officials in China even if it's booked by someone else. Be careful when redeeming flights on Air China metal

kokonutz Dec 15, 2014 10:24 am

Do not trust Air China

What a mess.

Last week i booked and TICKETED an award IAD-PEK (UA global F) -RGN (Air China business) using MP miles for 2 ppl.

Called UA to get Air China record locator to get seats today and was told that Air China 'rejected' the award booking. Despite the fact that I had a ticketed reservation! :confused::confused::confused:

Got supervisor, she called Air China and they confirmed that they have plenty of seats for sale, but they decided to not release any award seats on that flight.

The supervisor was flummoxed. This is for travel next week, so the super set to work finding us a way there, and ended up forcing F space IAD-NRT-SIN-RGN with an overnight in SIN.

As the supervisor told me: thank GOD I called to check for seats. Otherwise we would have been denied boarding in PEK. :mad::mad:

Lesson learned: DO NOT TRUST AIR CHINA.

nethead25 Jan 1, 2015 8:26 pm

Tried to book an UA-CA-TG-OZ award with an Air China leg on PEK-CNX in economy in November. The flight leg still shows availability in both Business and Economy.

Thought something was fishy when the itinerary ticketed almost instantly, but no partner PNR came back on united.com, so I called the partner airlines to confirm the reservations... Thai and Asiana legs looked fine, but the Air China rep could see the UA ticket but no corresponding reservation in the CA system.

So I called the 1K desk today, the agent tried for about an hour to reissue the ticket and get a CA reservation to go through, but after working with a supervisor finally concluded that UA and CA's systems were not properly communicating, and that they'd escalated and I should call back Monday after the holiday week.

The timing of the CA direct flight is really ideal, but I'm kind of terrified to commit to this CA leg, especially with the phantom cancellation issue potentially impacting my TG-OZ return leg in business, which no longer has availability. I'm tempted to route PEK-BKK-CNX to avoid AC all together, even though the timing basically causes us to lose a half day in Beijing.

Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations? I'd hate to lose the PEK-CNX leg and be SOL if the TG availability dries up -- and even worse, if there are still phantom CA cancellations being reported.