FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565063-2014-ua-issued-awards-air-china-ca-mysteriously-being-canceled-hacked.html)

WineCountryUA Apr 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695689)
Complain to DOT?

What DOT regulation has been violated? and by whom?

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22695705)
What DOT regulation has been violated? and by whom?

You tell me :)

"Breach of contract"? "Fraudulently canceling itinerary without consent"?

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695683)
Then you do a suggestion.

I don't indulge in impossibilities.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695722)
You tell me

"Breach of contract"? "Fraudulently canceling itinerary without consent"?

How about "none"? It's not a DOT issue. It's not an FBI issue. United may have some culpability in making it so trivial, but I doubt there's anything that can be done besides not booking on United.

1353513636 Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm

What motivation would these people have in cancelling the tickets? Cancelled award tickets do not automatically return to award inventory.

lewende Apr 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 22695743)
Cancelled award tickets do not automatically return to award inventory.

Do you know for sure that's case for CA?

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Could this possibly be related to "HeartBleed"?

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695764)
Could this possibly be related to "HeartBleed"?

I would guess no, because this would be small potatoes for someone who could get that much information.

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by lewende (Post 22695752)
Do you know for sure that's case for CA?

Which could explain why we haven't heard any reports of it happening for other partners.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 12, 2014 9:34 pm

I'd believe it an UA IT glitch before I'd believe it's some nefarious hacking scheme.

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 22695799)
I'd believe it an UA IT glitch before I'd believe it's some nefarious hacking scheme.

It sounds way too specific in this situation.

Kacee Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22695742)
It's not an FBI issue. United may have some culpability in making it so trivial, but I doubt there's anything that can be done besides not booking on United.

Actually, if the allegations are true, this would likely be a federal offense.

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22695808)
Actually, if the allegations are true, this would likely be a federal offense.

And if committed by people outside the U.S., which is part of the allegation, the FBI would still have no jurisdiction. And China certainly wouldn't do anything about it because it only damages an American company and that usually gets rewarded (if not condoned or supported) rather than punished.

Kacee Apr 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22695813)
And if committed by people outside the U.S., which is part of the allegation, the FBI would still have no jurisdiction. And China certainly wouldn't do anything about it because it only damages an American company and that usually gets rewarded (if not condoned or supported) rather than punished.

They are accessing UA systems. The FBI would absolutely have jurisdiction. Whether it could effectively take action is a different question.

nihaoa Apr 12, 2014 9:50 pm

I am victim 1. This is what I got from UA--"I can confirm, our system indicates someone logged in as a guest, canceled XXXXXX at 10:42pm and then canceled XXXXXX at 10:50pm".

Originally Posted by pjf66 (Post 22695265)
Do you have any proof regarding this issue? It sounds like a doable theory but you cannot just point finger at someone and hoping UA to do something(actually I do think they will do anything) regarding your issue.

Loren Pechtel Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 22695286)
If UA cares about this, they could contact the 3 alleged victims directly, and verify with each of them that they did not cancel the tickets. They can also look through their server logs to see if there is any commonality between where the cancellation requests are coming from (e.g. all from China, or all from the same VPN service to mask the actual location). If the alleged happenings actually happened, UA could be fairly certain of it by doing the above, without relying on just the word of the OP.

Except in one case they were told the IP said it was his home address.