Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 2:36 pm

First time posting here on the boards but a long time lurker. I dont mean to beat a dead horse but after going through this thread and searching a few forums I really didnt see a direct answer and was hoping you guys/gals can help me out.

I booked a UA award itinerary last night for IAH -> PEK -> KIX (X Fare on CA) with a return of NRT -> IAH (X Fare on UA) all in economy. Travel is end of November 2014.

Itinerary has been ticketed and confirmed by UA. I checked travelsky.com using the CA reservation # given by UA along with my lastname/firstnamemr and was able to pull up my CA reservation. It lists the 016 e-tix number assigned by UA but underneath it shows "Status: Confirmed, Please Ticket (HK)". So, given that it shows a 016 e-ticket number, what does the status below it mean? Am I ticketed or not?

Also, this thread mostly relates to F and C class fares on CA. Has anyone had issues with X fare economy saver awards being canceled on CA out of the blue?

Thanks for the help!
Old May 19, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nlcougar
I booked a UA award itinerary last night for IAH -> PEK -> KIX (X Fare on CA) with a return of NRT -> IAH (X Fare on UA) all in economy. Travel is end of November 2014.

Itinerary has been ticketed and confirmed by UA. I checked travelsky.com using the CA reservation # given by UA along with my lastname/firstnamemr and was able to pull up my CA reservation. It lists the 016 e-tix number assigned by UA but underneath it shows "Status: Confirmed, Please Ticket (HK)". So, given that it shows a 016 e-ticket number, what does the status below it mean? Am I ticketed or not?
Call CA to be sure.

I booked a few UA award tix with CA metal and saw the same thing online — "HK" status for the CA segments. This language means that your reservation has the space confirmed — "HK" means "hold confirmed" and is an ok state for a segment to be in on a reservation..

Also, this thread mostly relates to F and C class fares on CA. Has anyone had issues with X fare economy saver awards being canceled on CA out of the blue?
There have been no reports of cancellation happening to coach award seats in the "someone did it on purpose" way described in this thread.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
F
This is very very very common. If you still have doubts over the status of this ticket, the best way I would recommend is to call CA at +8610-95583 and confirm if everything looks okay at their end; additionally, this is also a great opportunity to select seats.

There is no single report of malicious cancellation on CA economy class ticket on 016 stock, which implies the broker theory makes the most sense so far.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:11 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like a call to CA is in order.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like a call to CA is in order.
...and welcome to FT!
Old May 20, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
With the level of mistrust that exists for the current management, it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA was canceling them themselves in order to not pay China Airlines for the ticket
Old May 20, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
With the level of mistrust that exists for the current management, it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA was canceling them themselves in order to not pay China Airlines for the ticket
That is a scurrilous charge to make, there is no, NO evidence of that happening.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Do we have any idea if this situation is resolved? I am considering booking an award itinerary that includes CA segments...
Old May 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Do we have any idea if this situation is resolved? I am considering booking an award itinerary that includes CA segments...
No new cancellation reports in a month.

Do you feel lucky
Old May 20, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
No new cancellation reports in a month.

Do you feel lucky
LOL
Booked, taking chances, booking return leg on UA metal separately, have backup plan for CA segs. Guh.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpc83
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
That is a scurrilous charge to make, there is no, NO evidence of that happening.
But is there evidence of anything happening?

All explanations we have seen in this thread are just speculations. This is not a criminal court.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
Thumbs up CA Leg Booked, but "No Reservation, Sir".

Booked a leg on CA PEK - SIN (HNL - SIN Itin) in Apr 2015 in Business (I) using UA Miles.

Asked 1K voice to provide CA PNR. Told that when they called CA, no reservation booked and I should just redeposit and rebook.

Called CA and told I have no reservation. BTW, their call center is worse than UA, even more unfriendly and unhelpful, which is hard to do.

Called UA back and they were absolutely no help.

Rebooked online (had to add more miles) to book NRT - SIN in FN on UA metal.

All other legs on ANA, TG and OZ all booked properly.

Just the CA leg, no go, even though UA shows "Ticketed and Confirmed". What would happen if I went to the airport or went from HNL to PEK and told "you don't have a reservation"?

Will be avoiding CA for a while and sticking to UA, ANA , OZ , TG, LH, NZ.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 808oman
Booked a leg on CA PEK - SIN (HNL - SIN Itin) in Apr 2015 in Business (I) using UA Miles.

Asked 1K voice to provide CA PNR. Told that when they called CA, no reservation booked and I should just redeposit and rebook.

Called CA and told I have no reservation. BTW, their call center is worse than UA, even more unfriendly and unhelpful, which is hard to do.

Called UA back and they were absolutely no help.

Rebooked online (had to add more miles) to book NRT - SIN in FN on UA metal.

All other legs on ANA, TG and OZ all booked properly.

Just the CA leg, no go, even though UA shows "Ticketed and Confirmed". What would happen if I went to the airport or went from HNL to PEK and told "you don't have a reservation"?

Will be avoiding CA for a while and sticking to UA, ANA , OZ , TG, LH, NZ.
Aloha, 808oman: When did you book your Itin? When did you discover the reservation was not booked? Was it ever booked? Did you have any confirmed seats at any time? When you booked the Itin, did you get a record locator for the CA segments? Did you get one of the dreaded Chinese-language emails? Did you ask UAInsider or 1kVoice for help in rebooking? Mahalo from a worried holder of a CA J award ticket.

Last edited by 747FC; May 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Old May 23, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 808oman
AV has a worse call centre IME.
The HK call center is typically helpful IME (and can speak English and Cantonese as well as Mandarin.)
Old May 30, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
No new posts in 7 days. Really hope the issue is resolved for good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.