FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565063-2014-ua-issued-awards-air-china-ca-mysteriously-being-canceled-hacked.html)

lewende Apr 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by pjf66 (Post 22695265)
Do you have any proof regarding this issue? It sounds like a doable theory but you cannot just point finger at someone and hoping UA to do something(actually I do think they will do anything) regarding your issue.

Unfortunately, this is my hypothesis based on what I know from China and no physical evidence can be obtained on that regard with obvious reasons. However, as a recurring event, and given that no other explainable motives for somebody in China to perform such a cancellation alone explains something here.

Again, this is not my issue but IMHO, enhancing web security features of .bomb will do no harms to us all.

Originally Posted by thinthin (Post 22695285)
That's horrible...

Such behavior is a criminal...

@UAinsider, please forward this message and improve necessary security verification when changing/cancelling tix...

For other ft folks, please pay attention to this.. If no such verification is improved, you may suffer pains when your tickets suddenly cancelled w/o your acknowledge and nothing can be returned...

Agree on all counts.

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 22695286)
If UA cares about this, they could contact the 3 alleged victims directly, and verify with each of them that they did not cancel the tickets. They can also look through their server logs to see if there is any commonality between where the cancellation requests are coming from (e.g. all from China, or all from the same VPN service to mask the actual location). If the alleged happenings actually happened, UA could be fairly certain of it by doing the above, without relying on just the word of the OP.

That's exactly I am trying to do. United front line supervisors were not very forthcoming in this matter for Victim 1, and here is his post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...knowledge.html

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by pjf66 (Post 22695265)
Do you have any proof regarding this issue?

The fact that it's so trivial to cancel someone else's booking (award or revenue) is well-established. No other airline makes it so easy to mess with someone's booking. United (and Continental before that) has known about this for a long time, but has never cared about it because it only hurts the customer, and the customer is merely an inconvenience to the new United. (Note that the old United used to allow you to lock any PNR with a password to prevent changes.)

blug Apr 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22695318)
The fact that it's so trivial to cancel someone else's booking (award or revenue) is well-established. No other airline makes it so easy to mess with someone's booking. United (and Continental before that) has known about this for a long time, but has never cared about it because it only hurts the customer, and the customer is merely an inconvenience to the new United. (Note that the old United used to allow you to lock any PNR with a password to prevent changes.)

In fairness, UA (and formerly CO) does have a wonderful award booking engine. Why it allows cancelling an award ticket without logging in, however, is totally beyond me.

Do AA, DL, US require logging in to cancel award tickets? What about revenue tickets where the passenger does not have an FF account?

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by blug (Post 22695348)
In fairness, UA (and formerly CO) does have a wonderful award booking engine.

It works - not really better or worse than any other.

Originally Posted by blug (Post 22695348)
Why it allows cancelling an award ticket without logging in, however, is totally beyond me.

This really has nothing to do with awards. You can cancel a revenue booking with the same information.

lewende Apr 12, 2014 8:02 pm

After reading my post, an FTer sent me a PM informing me that her 016 stock ticket in July for CA984 (LAX-PEK) first class award just got cancelled today by someone in China (MP email sent in Chinese).

This is insane.

RS250Racer Apr 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by lewende (Post 22695542)

This is insane.

Absolutely, I feel really bad for anyone who got an itin cancelled, total BS!!
:mad:

Juventini Apr 12, 2014 8:40 pm

According to this news:
http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...00008&cid=1103

There are also reports of pax data leaks potentially thru either airlines or Travelsky and both sides deny any responsibility for the leakage.
Can hardly rely on Air China and TravelSky to realize and solve the issue, hopefully United can take some appropriate actions.
--It's not rocket science, just an easy fix.

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 8:45 pm

I suggest that the afflicted Flyertalkers consider filing a complaint with the DOT and report the incidents as "criminal activity" to the FBI.

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695640)
report the incidents as "criminal activity" to the FBI.

China is just a bit out of their jurisdiction.

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22695646)
China is just a bit out of their jurisdiction.

Perhaps so, but impounding a few Air China planes until compensation has been provided will get the Chinese attention.

mahasamatman Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695670)
Perhaps so, but impounding a few Air China planes until compensation has been provided will get the Chinese attention.

Yeah. Right. And Czar Vladimir will just give back Crimea if someone asks him nicely.

Alex, I'll take Things That Will Never Happen for $800.

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22695680)
Yeah. Right.

Then you do a suggestion.

kale73 Apr 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22695670)

If OP's theory is accurate, the cancellations are neither Air China's fault nor responsibility. It seems that only tickets booked on United's 016 stock are at risk of being canceled in this way. Hence, OP's appeal to UA to fix the problem.

Dieuwer Apr 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Complain to DOT?

zebranz Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

[QUOTE=blug;22695348]In fairness, UA (and formerly CO) does have a wonderful award booking engine. Why it allows cancelling an award ticket without logging in, however, is totally beyond me.

Yes, and a real crap one in booking seats! How many *A carriers with available seating do not show up now? Seems like one a month gets "eliminated."