Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by critten
Seems that a little publicity might make some noise, but I wonder how many local channels will actually want to pick up this story if only a few people have documented it on here.
It's going to take something more than a flight cancelled weeks ahead. Start getting flyers showing up at the gate and being told they cancelled their own bookings, or flyers connecting between flights outside their home country being told the same, and it will get some attention. I haven't noticed anyone posting their flights have been cancelled within 24 hours of scheduled departure (yet). Those are the folks that could have ground arrangements at risk if they can't get out same-day. Just a matter of time until we start seeing those kinds of posts.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by critten
Ive gotten emails from Maria saying that they are investigating it.

Seems that a little publicity might make some noise, but I wonder how many local channels will actually want to pick up this story if only a few people have documented it on here.

"Oh no these people have to now take a connection instead of a nonstop first class seat" would not be too popular :P
If you talk about how you paid for a product that is rare and tell them that it is called Forbidden Pavilion and they may bite if just for the wordplay, especially in smaller cities with little news.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by woofly
It took two emails to 1K voice but I finally received an acknowledgment of receipt and internal escalation. Not exactly an answer but at least a paper trail should my booked CA legs fall victim... Should I get the promised follow up I will post as well.
here is what I got for asking about placing Hold on existing reservation!!
Hello XXXXXXXXX,
We’re always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.
Since your question is related to an existing reservation, please contact United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 (1-800-864-8331). From outside the U.S., visit www.united.com/worldwidecontacts for a list of country-specific contact numbers.

blah.. blah...

Last edited by IAHUArunner; Apr 26, 2014 at 12:56 am Reason: removing hyperlink
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skyvanman
I truly believe they only care about this due to their legal consequences of not honoring issued tickets..they don't care about us at all.
This has nothing to do with UA "not honoring" issued tickets. It's about people with reservations on CA being victimized by hackers.

I doubt UA has any legal liability at all to those whose reservations have been cancelled.

While there is obviously a broader data security issue here, resolving individual passenger issues is a matter of customer service and public relations, not fear of legal consequences. It's good to see UA stepping up to the plate, albeit a bit slowly. I hope they're also working on some sort of security enhancements that will put an end to the cancellations.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I doubt UA has any legal liability at all to those whose reservations have been cancelled.
They certainly have liability. You had a contractual agreement with them to deliver travel in exchange for your miles, and they breached the contract. Why they breached the contract (e.g., because they accepted invalid identification from someone else and let that person cancel your flight and then were unable to reinstate it) is a detail. The question is whether their liability is limited to a refund of the miles that you paid, or whether they might owe you more than that. Generally these contracts do give them pretty broad freedom to just give you a refund if they fail to perform. But not always.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
[Quote edited by Moderator since the quoted post has been deleted as off-topic.]

In other words, there's fairness, and then there's the law. Two different things. This is clear to every lawyer, but not so clear to many non-lawyers.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
(OFF the legal recourse line)...Any one booked and traveled in March/April on an award ticket with CA F or J Segment in it? I am trying to figure out if all F/J are getting kicked out of CA or just few!! Calling UA didn't yield anything positive. Answer from 1K.voice is standard form letter!. Any one?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Honestly, I would avoid award flights on Air China until UA/*Alliance gets this sorted out.

As for lawyers, I want "Harvey" from SUITS.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
As for lawyers, I want "Harvey" from SUITS.
I want the guy who didn't go to law school.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Awards booked using US Air affected?

Data point: I booked one F award on CA using UA miles. I've completed the trip and outbound flight was sold out in F.

I booked 2 CA J awards on US Air. Are these affected?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:21 pm
fartmaster

I have a CA segment from PEK-SIN(I) in late December. Should I be worried? I just read through 47 pages of this thread. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prevent this from happening?

I have also found twitter to be pretty helpful with questions and problems with united. Maybe worth a try if anyone is stuck

Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by eethan

I booked 2 CA J awards on US Air. Are these affected?
No
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:28 pm
Suspended

We haven't had reports here of CA awards through US being cancelled, but is there any reason to think that they couldn't be cancelled in exactly the same way?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
We haven't had reports here of CA awards through US being cancelled, but is there any reason to think that they couldn't be cancelled in exactly the same way?
Does US allow you to password-protect reservations? That might be a worthwhile thing to do.

Last edited by snic; Apr 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:13 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
(OFF the legal recourse line)...Any one booked and traveled in March/April on an award ticket with CA F or J Segment in it? I am trying to figure out if all F/J are getting kicked out of CA or just few!! Calling UA didn't yield anything positive. Answer from 1K.voice is standard form letter!. Any one?
Just flew CA J ICN-PEK and PEK-LAX last week on a UA award ticket (booked in February). No issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.