Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 13, 14, 4:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Pat89339
Wiki Link
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用回复地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: [email protected]

For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 14, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by atiger29 View Post
IAH-PEK-ICN-PEK-IAH in I x 2 for a trip in May. Received something chinese in an email. Not happy. Will have to make some phone calls soon.
Did you get them restored or UA flying you on their metal?
Old Apr 25, 14, 1:11 am

I believe I've read this entire thread but not sure if this has been covered. UA has a known problem communicating award ticketing to it's partners. UA may confirm that they have issued a 016 ticket but the partner may not see that it has been ticketed. I went through this last month on a ticket supposedly issued in November. I called CA for seat assignments and was told that UA had not ticketed the reservation and that it was sort of "in limbo" waiting for UA to send them confirmation. The entire thing had to be redone including a downgrade to economy on one CA domestic China leg. (eventually restored a few days later when an "O" seat opened up.)

Is it possible that CA is "cleaning up" what it sees as unticketed reservations?

Has anyone been cancelled that have previously called CA to confirm they have ticket #s and seat assignments?
Old Apr 25, 14, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo View Post
Is it possible that CA is "cleaning up" what it sees as unticketed reservations?
By cancelling reservations on the UA website using UA's record locator?
Old Apr 25, 14, 1:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Is it possible that CA is "cleaning up" what it sees as unticketed reservations? ....
Reports are consistent that United has records that an individual via the web told UA to cancel the reservation, that UA sent a message to the ticket holder about the cancellation and that UA transmitted that cancellation to CA. CA did not canceled the reservation.
Old Apr 25, 14, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Have I missed a post by UA Insider on this thread detailing that they're aware of the problem, and doing everything they can to fix it? If not, seems like a huge fail.
Old Apr 25, 14, 5:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Although I'm not affected... After some thought about this issue I think an easier and perhaps more effective solution is to send out an email to the account holder OR the passenger (if different) to confirm any changes before actually making the change, similar to how you need to confirm you own an email address before being signed up for a mailing list. That *should* be easier than implementing PIN login for changes AND should be more flexible.
Old Apr 25, 14, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Have I missed a post by UA Insider on this thread detailing that they're aware of the problem, and doing everything they can to fix it? If not, seems like a huge fail.
Nope, nothing public - but it does seem they're addressing it behind the scenes.

Agree that a post would do wonders.
Old Apr 25, 14, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select, CAM Card
I just saw this thread and this happened to us during October 2013 while we were in Bali. I had booked a United reward itinerary that had a return segment using Air China (Singapore-Beijing) in business class. A couple of days before our return, I received an e-mail on my iPhone from United in Chinese. It looked odd and I immediately went to the UA site and found that my return reservation had been wholly cancelled. I called United immediately and I worked with them on multiple calls for several hours. They tried to reinstate the reservation, but I couldn't get a valid PNR for the Air China segment. I called Air China's office in the US and they told me that it was UA's fault. Ultimately, a very nice UA agent booked us on alternate business class flights from Singapore back to Washington).

I always wondered why my reservation had been cancelled and why I received an e-mail in Chinese. I did change my password right afterwards and have ever since been using a personal VPN service whenever I'm on hotel WiFi networks on the assumption that I was somehow hacked.
Old Apr 25, 14, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1k
Has anyone been cancelled that have previously called CA to confirm they have ticket #s and seat assignments?
Yes, After I booked my tickets in January, I spoke to CA to have seats assigned. My flight was canceled 3 months later.
Old Apr 25, 14, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, After I booked my tickets in January, I spoke to CA to have seats assigned. My flight was canceled 3 months later.
Same here - I had confirmed seats with CA for two passengers, both cancelled roughly 24 hours prior to departure, with a mysterious email from United in Chinese, and Rep told me it was done online. United did book me in their own metal.

According to the fraud department, the IP which originated the cancellation was in China...
Old Apr 25, 14, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This is the rsponse i received after writing to 1K voice:

Response came from [email protected]

Dear CDKing:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

We are aware of this problem, and that this could happen to your reservation.

If your MileagePlus award PNRs has being canceled by a guest-ID (not signed in) on united.com., and the space is canceled, our customers will receive an email from United.

Although the space is canceled, the eTicket remains active and the miles are not redeposited into the account.

If your reservation is cancelled by a guest-ID please contact our reservation department at 800-864-8331 for there assistance in reinstating your flights.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next United Airlines flights.

Regards,
I dont really care that the eticket remains active. Its still no different than if the miles were redeposited. Either way you have to be rebooked and space would be gone. If I wanted to fly with a product on par w/ a third world carriers premium cabin, I would have booked UA metal in the first place.

I dont think UA cares becasue their goal is obviously to keep as many people on their own metal as possible. Even if it means turning a blind eye to the issue at hand.

At least since i'm now on other airline metal is not so much an issue now for me.
Old Apr 25, 14, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Nope, nothing public - but it does seem they're addressing it behind the scenes.

Agree that a post would do wonders.
Problem is I don't think they will be able to fix this soon. The lack of statement probably shows the complete loss they are at. Even an eta or remedy for those that have been cancelled is probably too early to tell.

Since some of the people have gotten cancels a few days out, I would think this requires a better, faster fix. But as one UA rep put it bluntly to me- UA does not own CA, so we cannot tell them what to do.
Old Apr 25, 14, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
This is the rsponse i received after writing to 1K voice:

Response came from [email protected]

I dont really care that the eticket remains active. Its still no different than if the miles were redeposited. Either way you have to be rebooked and space would be gone. If I wanted to fly with a product on par w/ a third world carriers premium cabin, I would have booked UA metal in the first place.

I dont think UA cares becasue their goal is obviously to keep as many people on their own metal as possible. Even if it means turning a blind eye to the issue at hand.

At least since i'm now on other airline metal is not so much an issue now for me.
Haha i forgot I sent an email to 1kvoice but never got a response:/
Old Apr 25, 14, 8:15 am

I called UA this morning. I asked to see if it was possible to lock my reservation in Nov. Was on hold for about a half an hr as the rep there said that she had her supervisor looking at this. After that 30 min, she came back on and basically told me that they were investigating and that my "record had been noted that I called". I then asked her, "so basically the answer is that it is NOT currently possible to lock my reservation and to prevent it from being cancelled online?" Answer:"Thats correct...its not possible to prevent this right now. We are working on it..."

Then she told me to check my reservation daily. really? thats helpful and im sure if one day i look and it says cancelled that all the time ive spent checking it over the months leading up to november will be time well spent because they will do exactly what? try to rebook me on super inconvenient flights on UA that require me to leave a day earlier or later?

This is very frustrating and has really eroded my faith that any UA ticket booked into a premium cabin on a partner flight is safe, even in the middle of flying your connecting flight could be mysteriously cancelled. Unreal
Old Apr 25, 14, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Szamboti View Post
I called UA this morning. I asked to see if it was possible to lock my reservation in Nov. Was on hold for about a half an hr as the rep there said that she had her supervisor looking at this. After that 30 min, she came back on and basically told me that they were investigating and that my "record had been noted that I called". I then asked her, "so basically the answer is that it is NOT currently possible to lock my reservation and to prevent it from being cancelled online?" Answer:"Thats correct...its not possible to prevent this right now. We are working on it..."

Then she told me to check my reservation daily. really? thats helpful and im sure if one day i look and it says cancelled that all the time ive spent checking it over the months leading up to november will be time well spent because they will do exactly what? try to rebook me on super inconvenient flights on UA that require me to leave a day earlier or later?

This is very frustrating and has really eroded my faith that any UA ticket booked into a premium cabin on a partner flight is safe, even in the middle of flying your connecting flight could be mysteriously cancelled. Unreal
Yeah, kinda unreal. Noticing that the ticket is cancelled has not been the issue. Shoot, you get an email when it happens.

Sooo glad I decided against booking a CA leg on my upcoming itinerary. Forbidden indeed.

Good luck to everyone holding the CA flights. Fingers crossed for you.

Search this Thread