Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by litesleeper
Wanted to share the latest on my status. Thanks to you guys on FT, I was contacted by UA, and have since been offered a replacement trip on UA metal. I had been looking forward to checking our Air China's "forbidden Pavillion", but I guess I know now why it's called Forbidden Pavillion. You can't go there, it gets cancelled on you!

Anyway, they are also refunding the $200 I spent to redeposit the miles to my MP account.

I will be using pre-deval point levels on this as well, as I had on the original booking.

Fortunately, I didn't have any other exposure to loss of deposits such as ground transportation or hotel bookings, etc.

My trip is in mid-June.

Although it's been a rough couple weeks, at least it looks like the ending is a lot better than it could have been.

Thanks again, everyone!
Glad to hear that UA is at least helping some of you out, even if not on CA metal but now on UA. ^

U gotta wonder how many others out there not on FT have been affected by this glitch/hack/whatever it was. I was considering a CA leg myself for a trip but now I will stick with NH/TG/OZ.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
Glad to hear that UA is at least helping some of you out, even if not on CA metal but now on UA. ^

U gotta wonder how many others out there not on FT have been affected by this glitch/hack/whatever it was. I was considering a CA leg myself for a trip but now I will stick with NH/TG/OZ.
Absolutely. I was absolutely devastated when this happened to me, and I was thinking I was alone. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish this on anyone else, but I was comforted a bit by the fact I wasn't alone, and I figured that would increase my chances of some kind of resolution. Turns out that's exactly what happened.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I will be using pre-deval point levels on this as well, as I had on the original booking.
If this happens to me I expect United to allow me to re-book at a later date at the same number of miles on a partner. I book mine off UA metal for a reason. I already have backup plans just in case
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:51 pm

Wanted to share the latest on my status. Thanks to you guys on FT, I was contacted by UA, and have since been offered a replacement trip on UA metal. I had been looking forward to checking our Air China's "forbidden Pavillion", but I guess I know now why it's called Forbidden Pavillion. You can't go there, it gets cancelled on you!

Anyway, they are also refunding the $200 I spent to redeposit the miles to my MP account.

Fortunately, I didn't have any other exposure to loss of deposits such as ground transportation or hotel bookings, etc.

My trip is in mid-June.

Although it's been a rough couple weeks, at least it looks like the ending is a lot better than it could have been.

Thanks again, everyone!
Thanks litesleeper for the update!

Did UA give any indication on their measures to prevent this from happening going forward? Or did it sound like they are just being reactive to these issues when they occur rather than proactive?

I have a first-class CA award reservation from PEK-SFO in early Jan 2015, so I'm still quite concerned that another round of "cancellations" can still happen.

Last edited by jglenn16; Apr 23, 2014 at 4:52 pm Reason: more context
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16

Did UA give any indication on their measures to prevent this from happening going forward? Or did it sound like they are just being reactive to these issues when they occur rather than proactive?

I have a first-class CA award reservation from PEK-SFO in early Jan 2015, so I'm still quite concerned that another round of "cancellations" can still happen.
I haven't asked yet about future prevention, but once things get finalized tomorrow I plan to ask.

Definitely keep tabs on your reservation.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by jglenn16

Are you checking your RES on a daily basis? Did you contact UA to see if they can do something to PREVENT FROM getting HACKED/ CANCELLED?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
Are you checking your RES on a daily basis? Did you contact UA to see if they can do something to PREVENT FROM getting HACKED/ CANCELLED?
I have not yet contacted UA. not sure i want to advise anyone of my res in case its UA that is the cause. Its only a few more weeks before my trip
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
I called UA, and basically there is nothing UA can do to prevent such things from happening again.

The agent did offer to put a note on my rez to remind her fellow colleagues if impostors called in to cancel my award booking, but for the online cancellation, she commented after checking with her supervisor and web support: "there is nothing we can do - if people get your PNR and last name, basically they can do anything they want..."
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lewende
"there is nothing we can do - if people get your PNR and last name, basically they can do anything they want..."
Haha, someone at risk management needs to have a little chat with that agent.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:07 pm

I called UA, and basically there is nothing UA can do to prevent such things from happening again.

The agent did offer to put a note on my rez to remind her fellow colleagues if impostors called in to cancel my award booking, but for the online cancellation, she commented after checking with her supervisor and web support: "there is nothing we can do - if people get your PNR and last name, basically they can do anything they want..."
I could have sworn that in the thread about the person whose ex-spouse changed their children's flights to leave them earlier during the holiday season, we established that UA had some kind of "PNR lock" that people could use in these kinds of situations to avoid problems. No?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I could have sworn that in the thread about the person whose ex-spouse changed their children's flights to leave them earlier during the holiday season, we established that UA had some kind of "PNR lock" that people could use in these kinds of situations to avoid problems. No?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eone-else.html
and
Someone decided to cancel my tickets — remember to protect your travel plans! (Lucky's One Mile at a Time blog)

Don't believe UA has this feature.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:28 pm

Just had this happen to me. Flight was HKG-PEK in I / PEK-LHR in O, all on 4/26. Got cancellation email in chinese on 4/23. Phone agents were able to restore ticket and book the flights that I looked up, via BKK and BRU, since nothing else available, and 12h earlier. Award stayed at pre-1/31 rates.

My suspicion was that the PEK-LHR flight was full/oversold, since it was not available for purchase anymore on that day, I was considering switching to a paid ticket. The broker/waitlist theory makes more sense though.

I've asked United to provide me with more details about the cancellation, like logged in or not, IP address.

Hopefully seats will open up on BA/CX direct flights, or at least some 1 stop options, but seems like a very busy HKG-LHR weekend...

christian
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by chris1234
Just had this happen to me. Flight was HKG-PEK in I / PEK-LHR in O, all on 4/26. Got cancellation email in chinese on 4/23. Phone agents were able to restore ticket and book the flights that I looked up, via BKK and BRU, since nothing else available, and 12h earlier. Award stayed at pre-1/31 rates.

My suspicion was that the PEK-LHR flight was full/oversold, since it was not available for purchase anymore on that day, I was considering switching to a paid ticket. The broker/waitlist theory makes more sense though.

I've asked United to provide me with more details about the cancellation, like logged in or not, IP address.

Hopefully seats will open up on BA/CX direct flights, or at least some 1 stop options, but seems like a very busy HKG-LHR weekend...
This is extremely unfortunate and absolutely nerve racking for everybody who booked a UA award with CA segment(s) - the once-thought smart choice now looks pretty lame. I still had a hard time to figure out why UA has formed a task force to handle the fallout but meanwhile still fails to address the origination of the entire problem.

However, when something impacts UA's interests, it took a totally different approach; during the last promotion (the system-wide $5 airfare) UA took immediate action to kill the fare first, and then handle the aftermath later. Wonder why UA can't close the loophole this time first.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chris1234

christian
Check your PM in a minute. I have a united phone number you can talk to. They are hopefully investigating all of our cases.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Wonder why UA can't close the loophole this time first.
Because all of the solutions that have been suggested would take significant time to implement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.