Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alex_b
Sadly I agree that the state of US law seems to make the airlines immune from consumer protection claims.
Why do you say that? I think there are plenty of potential avenues for legal action here. The main problem is simply that litigation would cost way more than the amount at stake, and would also take much longer than the available time before a trip a few weeks hence. And once you start down the path of suing UA whatever cooperation you might have had is going to disappear. They can probably also refuse to sell you any tickets going forward if you are in litigation against them?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
They can probably also refuse to sell you any tickets going forward if you are in litigation against them?
I doubt it. That's one of the things you give up in exchange for the numerous protections of being a common carrier: the right to refuse service to anyone. AFAIK, a common carrier must provide service to any person that can pay for it, unless they have a really good reason not to.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nihaoa
Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

I have reviewed the records for your parents-in-law and have confirmed the information regarding the cancellation. I can confirm, our system indicates someone logged in as a guest, canceled XXXXXX at 10:42pm and then canceled XXXXXX at 10:50pm. I regret the records were canceled, however, we are unable to solicit Air China to give us additional mileage seats.

I have reviewed Air China's mileage availability for several weeks to the mainland, and at this time, there is no availability in First class or coach. The only option is to retain the routing currently indicated in each record.

Again, I regret the situation. We try to provide this value through a mix of safety, on-time performance, courteous and professional service, and a wide range of destination options. We want to make travel with us a convenient and trouble-free experience for our passengers.

Our goal is to provide exceptional service every time your parents travel with United. Your support is important to United, our regional carriers, and all Star Alliance member carriers. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming your parents on board for the flight to California.

Regards,

XXX XXX
United Airlines
Bolding mine: Well other than a boiler plate response , it seems to me that the experiences that folks have been having are from "trouble free"

Score is Air Jeff 100*/Pax zero

*1 point for acknowledging the issue and 99 points for sweeping it under the rug with BS
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:47 pm
jmw

United, you guys need to do something. With 31 pages and 461 posts, you can't claim you didn't know anymore....

I don't have a cancelled reservation, but I have no confidence in United that I won't eventually end up being a victim of a crime that's really easy to prevent.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jmw
United, you guys need to do something. With 31 pages and 461 posts, you can't claim you didn't know anymore....

I don't have a cancelled reservation, but I have no confidence in United that I won't eventually end up being a victim of a crime that's really easy to prevent.
Where is UAInsider in all of this? I agree, the lack of any statement from United is troubling.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
[Quote deleted by Moderator, and reply thereto, as the original quote since deleted.]

Blessed there was ample time. United stepped up and created saver space in Business and Global first.

What Smisek should do is go after CA for the lost revenue that was replaced with UA. Maybe kick them out of Star Alliance, meh. At least I can now sleep in peace without a possible cancellation - that others on here may still have to worry about.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Here is my take on this issue:

Someone in China had access to Air China reservation system for MP+ awards. Only needed UA PNR+last name to cancel CA F/C awards from UA China site, hence the Chinese email notification.

If those affected could send original e-tickets and approximate time of cancellation to UA+CA, then it's not hard to track down those identical awards booked shortly after. Dates, flights, cabins match the cancelled PNRs.

This requires CA cooperation to nail down possible beneficiaries of this scam.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kb1992
[If those affected could send original e-tickets and approximate time of cancellation to UA+CA, then it's not hard to track down those identical awards booked shortly after. Dates, flights, cabins match the cancelled PNRs.
They don't need to send it. UA already can easily pull up all of the cancellations of UA award itineraries that include CA travel. Plus most of the affected people have presumably complained to UA (except for those who haven't discovered the problem yet) so UA knows who they are.

This wouldn't likely happen in the US, because law enforcement could track down the perpetrator pretty easily, looking for patterns in the purchase of the replacement tickets, just as you say. But there's not really the same rule of law in China. Unless this turns into an embarrassment for the Chinese government---in that case the person or persons responsible will be really screwed.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Though I normally consider it a joke, has anybody tried taking this to the highly visible bloggers and social media?

If 12 FT members have been hit, the actual number to date is likely near 1000 and if UA does the head-in-sand dance it will climb rapidly.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Though I normally consider it a joke, has anybody tried taking this to the highly visible bloggers and social media?

If 12 FT members have been hit, the actual number to date is likely near 1000 and if UA does the head-in-sand dance it will climb rapidly.
Have none if the bloggers handled it yet? It's like there's some kind of bizarre veil of silence.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Maybe 100? I doubt there are even 1000 UA members a month who book F travel on CA using their miles. And some of the reports aren't from long-established FT members, they are from people who found this thread on Google.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm sure if there was cooperation among carriers, this could be solved.

But come on- it's united and a chinese carrier...let's just blame the 1k members for accidentally cancelling separate records magically at the same time......like they don't fly enough anyway for them to be skilled at handling a website. Pshhh babies with their own phone line. Grow up already!

Last edited by critten; Apr 21, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Welcome to FlyerTalk When did you discover your itinerary was tampered with (or get the e-mail)?
The email came Friday night, April 11. I actually read the email the next morning.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:34 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Greetings Everyone -

The topic of this thread is related to UA issued awards on CA being canceled without proper authorization, not each other.

Discussion and flame-bating are grounds for a vacation from FT so please bear that in mind when posting.

(...and if there is an issue with a post, you can always report it to a mod for review.)

Safe Travels,

J. Edward
UA Forum Moderator
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You shouldn't have paid the $200 and rather asked them to re-instate the ticket. Don't accept anything like this; make sure if they do this involuntarily that they note in the record. Small claims court might be your best avenue if corporate customer care doesn't take care of the situation.
I was pretty devastated by what had happened so I didn't think to fight the $200, but I have contacted customer care and asked for it back.

Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
How many are there? any info on when the last hacked cancellation occurred? Did any one get a cancellation Email in last 10 days or SO?
Mine was on the 11th, 10 days ago.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.