Disappearing upgrades

Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It is a shame we have to babysit our reservations, but one of the reasons I do it for UA now is to monitor the upgrades for TODs or HODs, which I will usually take if offered, and I usually sign up to waitlist for upgrades with miles at booking (it seems like I almost always have about 40k miles just cycling out of my account and back in again since I either don't get it or I upgrade for cash). Upgrading is not as critical to me for domestic, unless coast to coast, but the uncertainty of upgrades in international has me more frequently paying for transatlantic business, and when I do that, UA is usually not at the top of the list.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
UA is free to sell upgrades at whatever cost they want to whomever they want. However, this current approach is certainly part of why the only time I fly UA these days is when I can buy a very cheap ticket and upgrade at purchase with a cert or when they are the only choice for the trip for schedule reasons. And it is therefore part of why folks like AS and DL have gotten the vast majority of my purchased first class tickets over the past year or more. At least in my case it has cost UA substantial revenue to opt to always screw 1Ks for small revenue bumps. But, hey, in the global scheme of things they are probably actually optimizing their profits - after all, look how well they are doing financially versus their competition. Oh wait . . .
Very well stated! ^
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Maybe I'll turn the tables...

I have an upcoming trip EWR-SFO-HKG booked on K as part of a deep discount sale. There was a schedule change so UA agreed to waive change fee if I were to buy up to a W fare. This sounded great, until agent informed me that buy up was well over $1,000 and no R space was available.

Anyway I'm monitoring inventory, and hoping to get a buy up offer at OLCI. in past I've seen these for around $700...if they offer, I'll bite and will have saved a GPU, and UA gets less $$ from me. :-)

Either way, AA has gotten most of my business, and I have found great value in their EXP challenge offered last August. Can't beat unrestricted SWUs. ^
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
GAs do not clear supported upgrades. The "system" processes those. Once the GA takes control, GPUs and RPUs are no longer processed.
Ok, so you're saying that GPU/RPU get you no priority over CPUs at the gate?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GBadger
This is an interesting question. The published rule, while somewhat vague, supports mahasamatman's position:

At 24 hours from departure, waitlists will expire and automatic processing of upgrades, per the priority listed above, will continue. As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is an interesting question. The published rule, while somewhat vague, supports mahasamatman's position:

At 24 hours from departure, waitlists will expire and automatic processing of upgrades, per the priority listed above, will continue. As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class.
Right, so that begs the question that someone else brought up -- let's say I was wait listed for an upgrade using an instrument (on a CPU-eligible route), and that upgrade does not clear until after check in is closed. At that point, based on this description, this should be a CPU and not an instrument supported upgrade. Can I then ask for my RPU/GPU back?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right, so that begs the question that someone else brought up -- let's say I was wait listed for an upgrade using an instrument (on a CPU-eligible route), and that upgrade does not clear until after check in is closed. At that point, based on this description, this should be a CPU and not an instrument supported upgrade. Can I then ask for my RPU/GPU back?
Well that is an entirely different question.

The answer should be yes, but I'm sure it doesn't work that way. Heads UA wins, tails you lose.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think anyone really knows if or how much the RPU gives you priority. You always have the option to cancel your RPU request at T-24 (or any other time) if you would rather take your chances on a CPU.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We have conflicting anecdotal experiences. We have have two different upgrade systems.
So so this just adds to the lack of transparency that UA could easily clear up but has chosen not to.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We have conflicting anecdotal experiences. We have have two different upgrade systems.
So so this just adds to the lack of transparency that UA could easily clear up but has chosen not to.
I had (at least once before) a RPU returned, even after clearing the wait-listed upgrade. I had no idea until I saw the returned RPU. This could be due to the fact that the upgrade cleared as CPU at the gate and not as RPU supported upgrade.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by hans
probably because my Hawaii-native family has flown UAL since the days of Pat Patterson and I've been a 1K for many years now.
For a second there, I thought you were talking about the pro wrestler Pat Patterson

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.