Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what does "customers eligible for upgrade" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have a flight today and when I check in on the mobile ap I can pick a seat in business and it takes me to the buy up page. It says currently 8 seats avail for upgrade and 25 customers eligible for an upgrade. What does eligible mean?

I assume not wait listed. Because it's r8 and nobody listed on wait list. And since it's not CPU eligible cuz international. I'm trying to figure out what eligible means...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
I have a flight today and when I check in on the mobile ap I can pick a seat in business and it takes me to the buy up page. It says currently 8 seats avail for upgrade and 25 customers eligible for an upgrade. What does eligible mean?

I assume not wait listed. Because it's r8 and nobody listed on wait list. And since it's not CPU eligible cuz international. I'm trying to figure out what eligible means...
By selecting a seat in F, you are basically asking UA to upgrade you, for which they will charge you. The 25 you see may be a combination of employees and paying customers requesting upgrades with miles/$ or upgrade instruments.

Your post is a little confusing. Where are you getting the 25 from? Can you provide snapshots of the various pages you're pulling info from?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:29 pm

If you keep going further, and you want to give em your cc#, you can get an upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

This is not enough information to provide meaningful input. If you'd like meaningful input, you need to identify the flight(s). (And presumably they have told you the price for the buy-up?)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

what does eligible for upgrade mean?

Yes they have the price. It's 1200. I'm not gonna take it. Was just curious who is "eligible". The reason I didn't think it was wait listed folks is because it's r8 so any wait lists should have cleared.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes they have the price. It's 1200. I'm not gonna take it. Was just curious who is "eligible". The reason I didn't think it was wait listed folks is because it's r8 so any wait lists should have cleared.
I would assume everyone on a revenue ticket is "eligible."

The waitlist does not automatically clear just because R is open. It's a well known IT flaw. upgrade-still-waitlisted-even-though-r-class-available.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would assume everyone on a revenue ticket is "eligible."
Yes UA is trying to create a sense of urgency -- if you don't take this, there are plenty of other customers UA will be offering this to. This is more than just those on the waitlist.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still interested in where the OP saw the number "25" or a list of 25 people if no one is showing on a waitlist at somewhere <T-24.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Quote:

Quote:

Yes they have the price. It's 1200. I'm not gonna take it. Was just curious who is &quot;eligible&quot;. The reason I didn't think it was wait listed folks is because it's r8 so any wait lists should have cleared.

I would assume everyone on a revenue ticket is &quot;eligible.&quot;

Yes UA is trying to create a sense of urgency -- if you don't take this, there are plenty of other customers UA will be offering this to. This is more than just those on the waitlist.
But then it doesn't make sense it's only 25 people. Should be well over a hundred eligible if it's all revenue tickets.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm still interested in where the OP saw the number &quot;25&quot; or a list of 25 people if no one is showing on a waitlist at somewhere &lt;T-24.
Mobile check in
Select seat
Click on a bf seat
Screen offers buy up
Select more details about upgrade
Says 8 seats avail and 25 eligible customers

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 24, 2014 at 1:03 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mobile check in
Select seat
Click on a bf seat
Screen offers buy up
Select more details about upgrade
Says 8 seats avail and 25 eligible customers
I didn't know about that. Thanks & have a good flight! Now I want to know who those 25 eligible customers are
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:45 am

I'm still interested in where the OP saw the number "25" or a list of 25 people if no one is showing on a waitlist at somewhere <T-24.
I have never seen that before and I've clicked through on the buy-up before.

I wonder if it's the waitlist.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Quote:

I'm still interested in where the OP saw the number &quot;25&quot; or a list of 25 people if no one is showing on a waitlist at somewhere &lt;T-24.

I have never seen that before and I've clicked through on the buy-up before.

I wonder if it's the waitlist.
You have to click on the see more details about upgrade button
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Plat and MM
I am pretty sure the 25 count is what you eventually see on the CPU list - every premier member eligible for upgrade... but that is new messaging. Never seen that before.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I got that last week. $119 buy up to first - 38 people currently eligible. This was IAH-DEN. I sat in row 7. The number corresponded to the CPU list.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
too funny

In the old UA, it meant you had a decent chance of getting upgraded. In the new UA as a 1K, it means, be prepared to sit where you originally picked a seat.
Free complimentary upgrades don't happen anymore. UA wants the traveler to use any and all upgrade instruments to move up in class; from miles to RPU's to GPU's. While I can understand this, I certainly do miss the old UA where status meant something.
For the new UA, the only thing that matters to them is $$$$$$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.