Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what does "customers eligible for upgrade" mean?

what does "customers eligible for upgrade" mean?

Old Mar 24, 14, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
I have a flight today and when I check in on the mobile ap I can pick a seat in business and it takes me to the buy up page. It says currently 8 seats avail for upgrade and 25 customers eligible for an upgrade. What does eligible mean?

I assume not wait listed. Because it's r8 and nobody listed on wait list. And since it's not CPU eligible cuz international. I'm trying to figure out what eligible means...
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer View Post
I got that last week. $119 buy up to first - 38 people currently eligible. This was IAH-DEN. I sat in row 7. The number corresponded to the CPU list.
this screen shows up during check in. in the case of an international flight it basically means that 25 people are on the waitlist with instruments or as non-revs and there are 8 seats available in the cabin. you could confirm the upgrade immediately with a call to UA using a GPU or miles and money, or you can UFC with the $1200 number they're telling you on the app.

domestically it means what ASEFlyer indicates above -- the number of customers eligible for upgrade will correspond loosely to the number of people on the gate waitlist, regardless of how they end up there (instrument, CPU, non-rev, etc). i say loosely b/c this number can change as CPU continues to run, or as people SDC on and off the flight, or cancel their reservations.
Old Mar 24, 14, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ButenUnBinnen View Post
I am pretty sure the 25 count is what you eventually see on the CPU list - every premier member eligible for upgrade... but that is new messaging. Never seen that before.
OP said flight was a CPU-ineligible int'l flight. I think the answer (as suggested) is a waitlist with instruments, money/miles, NSRAs. If the check-in upgrade is offered and paid, one would go right into BF and not on to a waitlist, I imagine...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 24, 14 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 24, 14, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tomj888 View Post
Free complimentary upgrades don't happen anymore. UA wants the traveler to use any and all upgrade instruments to move up in class; from miles to RPU's to GPU's. While I can understand this, I certainly do miss the old UA where status meant something.
Really? My experience (transparent in my signature) on mainly N/G/L fares says otherwise. "diditclear" also reflects a different experience. Let's not rehash this hyperbole again.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
OP said flight was a CPU-ineligible int'l flight. I think the answer (as suggested) is a waitlist with instruments, money/miles, and NSRAs.
He actually noted "not CPU eligible as it's international". Which is not quite true. Depends where international is.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 24, 14 at 1:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 24, 14, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
If the OP won't disclose the flight information, there's really no way to answer the question.

Originally Posted by tomj888 View Post
For the new UA, the only thing that matters to them is $$$$$$$.
I'm sure they'd like $$$$$$$, but they usually settle for $$ or $.
Old Mar 25, 14, 3:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by ButenUnBinnen

I am pretty sure the 25 count is what you eventually see on the CPU list - every premier member eligible for upgrade... but that is new messaging. Never seen that before.

OP said flight was a CPU-ineligible int'l flight. I think the answer (as suggested) is a waitlist with instruments, money/miles, NSRAs. If the check-in upgrade is offered and paid, one would go right into BF and not on to a waitlist, I imagine...
Only 7 on upgrade wait list and all cleared and all non rev. It is a mystery to me what the 25 represents.
Old Dec 18, 15, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
XX customers eligible for upgrade

I was considering a buyup offer on a flight recently and noticed something I had never seen before in the iOS App. After tapping on the upgrade offer, I tapped "Upgrade eligible flight details" and saw "50 customers eligible for an upgrade":

I've never noticed this before and have never known another way to get this information. Though 50 didn't seem accurate to me. For BusinessFirst, there were about 7 people who cleared and another 13 people on the list at boarding. Anyone have any experience divining their upgrade chances with this datapoint?

In case anyone's curious: $1,369 was more than I was willing to spend for a middle BusinessFirst seat on a 777, so I didn't take the offer. My GPU cleared at the gate.
Old Dec 18, 15, 3:47 pm

It's been around for some time. 50 would make sense when thinking about CPUs for all levels of elites as when I have seen this on domestic flights, but since this is international that seems a bit high unless there was some sort of cancellation on another flight. Maybe it is a glitch based upon it assuming it was CPU eligible or maybe they just mean 50 could technically buy up to it?!
Old Dec 18, 15, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dank0014 View Post
IMaybe it is a glitch based upon it assuming it was CPU eligible
That would be my guess.

Originally Posted by MattR23 View Post
My GPU cleared at the gate.
Sweet!
Old Dec 18, 15, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
50 seems too low for a CPU glitch. Between the holidays and the end of year instrument burn, I could see that being the actual number of people waitlisting an upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 15, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley View Post
50 seems too low for a CPU glitch.
Normally, yes. But it's a low business travel period.

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley View Post
I could see that being the actual number of people waitlisting an upgrade.
Not on an instrument-only route. Never seen an upgrade list that long (not counting nonrevs).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: