Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Group Travel -- What to expect? Discounts/perks?

Group Travel -- What to expect? Discounts/perks?

Old Mar 22, 14, 8:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
Group Travel -- What to expect? Discounts/perks?

I am looking into buying 10-14 tickets to fly my family ORD/EWR>FCO for our wedding next spring. What should I expect when I contact the UA travel desk?

Specifically, is there a significant discount for buying a block of tickets, or would this not be a big enough group? There would probably be another 5-10 people flying out that I am not paying for. Do we all have to travel on the same flight for a discount? For group tickets, do prices fluctuate as much as regular fares--should I be trying to buy now, wait, or would it not matter?

Besides the miles that I will get on my CC and own flights, are there any perks for one person buying tickets for a group? I would love it if choosing UA would count it some way towards my status if such a thing is possible.
BookerT is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:05 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,658
Did you look at the UA website?
All pretty clearly laid out there
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:06 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Posts: 2,387
Originally Posted by BookerT View Post
I am looking into buying 10-14 tickets to fly my family ORD/EWR>FCO for our wedding next spring. What should I expect when I contact the UA travel desk?

Specifically, is there a significant discount for buying a block of tickets, or would this not be a big enough group? There would probably be another 5-10 people flying out that I am not paying for. Do we all have to travel on the same flight for a discount? For group tickets, do prices fluctuate as much as regular fares--should I be trying to buy now, wait, or would it not matter?

Besides the miles that I will get on my CC and own flights, are there any perks for one person buying tickets for a group? I would love it if choosing UA would count it some way towards my status if such a thing is possible.
Other than a small group discount, I don't envision that you'll get any other perks. Everyone will have to travel together to get a discount. They certainly will not count it toward your status. Congratulations on your wedding! I also had a destination wedding and they're the best! ^
JNelson113 is online now  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:16 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Did you look at the UA website?
All pretty clearly laid out there
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
Yes, I saw the website and noted the existence of discounts. I was hoping that FT members could help fill in the details like how much of a discount, and other details that are not on the website before I call them on Monday.

Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Other than a small group discount, I don't envision that you'll get any other perks. Everyone will have to travel together to get a discount. They certainly will not count it toward your status. Congratulations on your wedding! I also had a destination wedding and they're the best! ^
Thanks! That's about what I figured. Looking forward to it!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 22, 14 at 9:38 am Reason: merge
BookerT is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:46 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,673
Originally Posted by BookerT View Post
Yes, I saw the website and noted the existence of discounts. I was hoping that FT members could help fill in the details like how much of a discount,
I believe it's typically 5%, or maybe a little more off of full fare.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:54 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,953
A strong suggestion that should you choose to accept the bid which UA offers, that you confine your group to those for whom you are paying.

Nothing breaks up friends and family better than group travel situations where you are advancing the cash for the ticket, someone sends in their payment late, cancels and wants you to issue a cash discount, needs a seat you can't obtain and so on.

As to the people in your group, make sure that they get a clear and concise email explaining exactly what they are and are not getting. Those who should be thanking you for your generosity can turn into your worst nightmare when it turns out that UA does not cater their left-handed Asian-vegetarian appetizer.

OTOH, 5% of 14 tickets to FCO is a nice chunk of change.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 22, 14 at 12:58 pm
Often1 is online now  
Old Mar 22, 14, 2:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MSN
Posts: 91
I tried to use the United groups department in February for a group of 13 from MSN-MID. The fare per passenger was $202 more than simply booking myself. Also, my desired flights were unavailable through the groups department. I did have to split the party up into two separate reservations, but gladly did so to save $2600 and get the flights we wanted.
BigDog is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 4:26 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ONT, LAX
Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Posts: 4,521
OP might want to consider talking to a TA and/or looking into other airlines, if for no other reason than to see what options might exist, unless totally wedded (no pun intended) to UA. A family member had a group of 11 last year that flew to Scotland and I suggested that the organizer check into BA and VS premium Y "just for grins"; the end price she got was only slightly more than regular Y.
1kBill is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 7:22 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,929
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
I tried to use the United groups department in February for a group of 13 from MSN-MID. The fare per passenger was $202 more than simply booking myself.
Yeah, if the discount they offer is off full fare, chances are it's no deal at all. This is one of those few situations where a good old-school TA can be of help.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:21 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
I know of a family of about 16 that travel to the same destination on one or two trips a year and they book 8 on AA or DL and 8 on UA in the event the plane went down with all 16 on board on plane. The entire family would be wiped out. Grand parents, Parents, Son/daughter and Grand Kids.

Who would get the estates? Perhaps their cats and dogs.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 14, 6:26 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,953
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Yeah, if the discount they offer is off full fare, chances are it's no deal at all. This is one of those few situations where a good old-school TA can be of help.
All depends what you need. If you need flexibility, 5% of a flexible fare is a great deal. If you do not need flexibility, booking it at all is a waste.

The key to the "bid" from UA is to look at every aspect of the deal and determine whether it meets your needs. For 10 people, a single change on an international itinerary would generally yield a penalty of $3,000, even before changes in fare are considered.

Bear in mind that everything is a negotiation. If you get a bid you don't like, call back. See what else can be done. UA agents are pretty limited in their authority, but maybe there is something you need that they can do.
Often1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: