FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Group Travel -- What to expect? Discounts/perks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1562445-group-travel-what-expect-discounts-perks.html)

BookerT Mar 22, 2014 8:59 am

Group Travel -- What to expect? Discounts/perks?

I am looking into buying 10-14 tickets to fly my family ORD/EWR>FCO for our wedding next spring. What should I expect when I contact the UA travel desk?

Specifically, is there a significant discount for buying a block of tickets, or would this not be a big enough group? There would probably be another 5-10 people flying out that I am not paying for. Do we all have to travel on the same flight for a discount? For group tickets, do prices fluctuate as much as regular fares--should I be trying to buy now, wait, or would it not matter?

Besides the miles that I will get on my CC and own flights, are there any perks for one person buying tickets for a group? I would love it if choosing UA would count it some way towards my status if such a thing is possible. :D

UAPremExecflyer Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am

Did you look at the UA website?
All pretty clearly laid out there
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

JNelson113 Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BookerT (Post 22568430)
I am looking into buying 10-14 tickets to fly my family ORD/EWR>FCO for our wedding next spring. What should I expect when I contact the UA travel desk?

Specifically, is there a significant discount for buying a block of tickets, or would this not be a big enough group? There would probably be another 5-10 people flying out that I am not paying for. Do we all have to travel on the same flight for a discount? For group tickets, do prices fluctuate as much as regular fares--should I be trying to buy now, wait, or would it not matter?

Besides the miles that I will get on my CC and own flights, are there any perks for one person buying tickets for a group? I would love it if choosing UA would count it some way towards my status if such a thing is possible. :D

Other than a small group discount, I don't envision that you'll get any other perks. Everyone will have to travel together to get a discount. They certainly will not count it toward your status. Congratulations on your wedding! I also had a destination wedding and they're the best! ^

BookerT Mar 22, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 22568454)
Did you look at the UA website?
All pretty clearly laid out there
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

Yes, I saw the website and noted the existence of discounts. I was hoping that FT members could help fill in the details like how much of a discount, and other details that are not on the website before I call them on Monday.

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 22568459)
Other than a small group discount, I don't envision that you'll get any other perks. Everyone will have to travel together to get a discount. They certainly will not count it toward your status. Congratulations on your wedding! I also had a destination wedding and they're the best! ^

Thanks! That's about what I figured. Looking forward to it!! :D

mahasamatman Mar 22, 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BookerT (Post 22568504)
Yes, I saw the website and noted the existence of discounts. I was hoping that FT members could help fill in the details like how much of a discount,

I believe it's typically 5%, or maybe a little more off of full fare.

Often1 Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am

A strong suggestion that should you choose to accept the bid which UA offers, that you confine your group to those for whom you are paying.

Nothing breaks up friends and family better than group travel situations where you are advancing the cash for the ticket, someone sends in their payment late, cancels and wants you to issue a cash discount, needs a seat you can't obtain and so on.

As to the people in your group, make sure that they get a clear and concise email explaining exactly what they are and are not getting. Those who should be thanking you for your generosity can turn into your worst nightmare when it turns out that UA does not cater their left-handed Asian-vegetarian appetizer.

OTOH, 5% of 14 tickets to FCO is a nice chunk of change.

BigDog Mar 22, 2014 2:44 pm

I tried to use the United groups department in February for a group of 13 from MSN-MID. The fare per passenger was $202 more than simply booking myself. Also, my desired flights were unavailable through the groups department. I did have to split the party up into two separate reservations, but gladly did so to save $2600 and get the flights we wanted.

1kBill Mar 22, 2014 4:26 pm

OP might want to consider talking to a TA and/or looking into other airlines, if for no other reason than to see what options might exist, unless totally wedded (no pun intended) to UA. A family member had a group of 11 last year that flew to Scotland and I suggested that the organizer check into BA and VS premium Y "just for grins"; the end price she got was only slightly more than regular Y.

BearX220 Mar 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BigDog (Post 22569753)
I tried to use the United groups department in February for a group of 13 from MSN-MID. The fare per passenger was $202 more than simply booking myself.

Yeah, if the discount they offer is off full fare, chances are it's no deal at all. This is one of those few situations where a good old-school TA can be of help.

kettle1 Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I know of a family of about 16 that travel to the same destination on one or two trips a year and they book 8 on AA or DL and 8 on UA in the event the plane went down with all 16 on board on plane. The entire family would be wiped out. Grand parents, Parents, Son/daughter and Grand Kids.

Who would get the estates? Perhaps their cats and dogs.

Often1 Mar 23, 2014 6:26 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 22570768)
Yeah, if the discount they offer is off full fare, chances are it's no deal at all. This is one of those few situations where a good old-school TA can be of help.

All depends what you need. If you need flexibility, 5% of a flexible fare is a great deal. If you do not need flexibility, booking it at all is a waste.

The key to the "bid" from UA is to look at every aspect of the deal and determine whether it meets your needs. For 10 people, a single change on an international itinerary would generally yield a penalty of $3,000, even before changes in fare are considered.

Bear in mind that everything is a negotiation. If you get a bid you don't like, call back. See what else can be done. UA agents are pretty limited in their authority, but maybe there is something you need that they can do.