Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Pretzel Service and Full Can Drink on International Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Pretzel Service and Full Can Drink on International Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
I was on a flight recently and only given 7 ice cubes, previously I have come to EXPECT 8 ice cubes, and one time I got 10 without even asking.

THANKS, UNITED.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ben237829624
Havn't been flying internationally for a while and just noticed that FA stopped giving out full can of drink and pretzel in Y in a recent ORD-HKG-SFO ultra-long haul trip. Another way to save 2 million?
Nothing new, it had been 4 months already, you just didn't do a search on the topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post21831089

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Well the current policy is pour, give can on request only. This was the pmCO policy. There have been reports though lately that even when asking for a can people have been denied.
As you said it, it was pmCO policy, NOT the current policy. And if you have flown UA especially sUA long enough, you know better sUA is known for inconsistent.

Where are the reports ? The only occasion that asking for a can and got denied happens on UX flights, as those flights are stocked with less beverages, which I understand. No such reports lately from anyone or myself ever got denied when ask for a full can.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 23, 2014 at 9:17 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Quote:

Well the current policy is pour, give can on request only. This was the pmCO policy. There have been reports though lately that even when asking for a can people have been denied.

As you said it, it was pmCO policy, NOT the current policy.

Where are the reports ? The only occasion that asking for a can and got denied happens on UX flights, as those flights are stocked with less beverages, which I understand. No such reports lately from anyone or myself ever got denied when ask for a full can.
It IS current policy, which is rooted in the PMCO policy. I have seen the official FA memo that stated the "pour, can on request only" which you can either take my word for it or someone else can verify as such. As we all know policies such as meal order prioritization, whether or not comping BoB, etc seem to fall by the wayside when essentially you have a metal tube at 37,000 feet where discretion seems to be an individual interpretation. Sure it seems gracious when FAs hand out entire cans or comp liquor of anything else they choose. But if causes inconsistency and these threads where people complain that one flight they got this and another flight they didn't. The policies as we now are not customer friendly no matter how UA tries to spin it...they are save $2b by racing to the bottom friendly.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have seen the official FA memo that stated the "pour, can on request only"
Right. So the current policy is give a full can on request. Just as it's been for quite some time. Absolutely nothing new here.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Interesting - flying to and from Dubai this week I was given a full can of soda, without asking. I even specifically said "cup of coke" once and still ended up with a can.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
The conspiracy theorist mind is getting the best of me in thinking that UA is using its social media minions to invade FT to stoke this full can meme till the MP FT board is marginalized as a joke where people complain about whether they were offered the can without asking.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
It IS current policy, which is rooted in the PMCO policy. I have seen the official FA memo that stated the "pour, can on request only" which you can either take my word for it or someone else can verify as such. As we all know policies such as meal order prioritization, whether or not comping BoB, etc seem to fall by the wayside when essentially you have a metal tube at 37,000 feet where discretion seems to be an individual interpretation. Sure it seems gracious when FAs hand out entire cans or comp liquor of anything else they choose. But if causes inconsistency and these threads where people complain that one flight they got this and another flight they didn't. The policies as we now are not customer friendly no matter how UA tries to spin it...they are save $2b by racing to the bottom friendly.
What IS the official policy for BoB for F passengers?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
They took a cue from Bloomberg's soda crusade here in NY.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hadrian35
... till the MP FT board is marginalized as a joke ...
Pretty sure that shark was jumped a while ago.

And, FWIW, I got a can every time I ordered a drink on my TATL r/t last week. Probably because I used the words "a can of" in my drink order.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Kacee
Case closed.
Why?
I would argue there's a distinct difference being offered a can and having to ask for one. I surmise many would like the full can, but might not want to be perceived as gluttonous by asking for a full can of cancer cola.

I was next to a guy the other day who told me he secretly hopes the FA gives him one--is disappointed when he doesn't get it.

Yes-- he could have just asked-- but the OPs question, I believe gets at whether there has been a policy change wrt being offered one

CASE CLOSED (pretty arrogant isn't it.)

Last edited by scottsam66; Mar 23, 2014 at 5:26 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Flying IAD-LHR day flight, there were no pretzels. A can was offered on the first service but not on the other two (but I didn't specifically request one, and saw none being handed out so don't know whether cans would have been given).
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Why?
I surmise many would like the full can, but might not want to be perceived as gluttonous by asking for a full can of cancer cola.

I was next to a guy the other day who told me he secretly hopes the FA gives him one--is disappointed when he doesn't get it.
Sounds like the FA knew better than the pax what's good for him
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1353513636
What IS the official policy for BoB for F passengers?
The official policy is from what I understand it is to really to try to accommodate the passengers meal request and if not direct then to UA.com for compensation. I believe that if it escalates then it's the FAs discretion to minimize the situation. So back to the original question it's a vague don't do it if you don't have to. There is no official policy that says if an F customer doesn't like a meal option then to offer BoB.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
The official policy is from what I understand it is to really to try to accommodate the passengers meal request and if not direct then to UA.com for compensation. I believe that if it escalates then it's the FAs discretion to minimize the situation. So back to the original question it's a vague don't do it if you don't have to. There is no official policy that says if an F customer doesn't like a meal option then to offer BoB.
Oh, they're not supposed to give it free. On some longer flights, I ask for a pack of nuts or chips to go with an alcoholic beverage (since you're not supposed to drink on an empty stomach) and I always got it free until a flight recently where I was told it wasn't free for even F passengers.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by dbaker
I was on a flight recently and only given 7 ice cubes, previously I have come to EXPECT 8 ice cubes, and one time I got 10 without even asking.

THANKS, UNITED.
Funny thing is most times when I order a soft drink on UA, I ask for another glass of just ice cubes. Sometimes I've gotten some weird looks but when I ask, I always get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.