Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to get a mostly-TK itinerary booked on 016 stock

Old Mar 21, 14, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL

Hi folks, I have tried several times to get a mostly-TK itinerary booked on 016 stock with no success. Most agents wouldn't try, and the one who did said that the system wouldn't allow her to ticket it because too much of it was on TK.

5/22-5/23
UA4053, SHD-IAD
TK8, IAD-IST
TK1941, IST-BRU
6/5
TK1942, BRU-IST
TK7, IST-IAD

I thought I'd read that various folks have had success getting flights booked on UA metal even without any UA legs. Do I need to keep trying to find someone who will help, or am I doing something wrong? I've been explicitly asking for this itinerary to be booked onto 016 stock. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 14, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Have you tried an independent travel agent? Unless the TK fare basis has a carrier plating restriction, they might be able to swing something for you.
Old Mar 21, 14, 1:40 am

In the early pre merger days I used to mix and match UA and CO flights, but have the ticket ticketed to 016, BECAUSE appolo won't let you apply a systemwide if its not a 016 ticket. CO will let you do that even if its not its own ticket stock ( one of the only SHARES features I liked)

Mind you this was before the merger closed.

But i did this via my corp travel agent. That may be the only route.
Old Mar 21, 14, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Thanks for the advice. I looked up the fare rules, which read under "sales restrictions":
"TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON TK AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN SUDAN
TICKETS MAY BE ISSUED BY PTA."

I compared these fare rules to the fare rules of other flights I am considering and this is the only one with that first line's language. I think that's the kind of plating restriction mentioned above, so I'll be out of luck even if I contact a travel agent. Confirmation from someone better-versed than I am in interpreting fare rules would be appreciated. The PQD restrictions are killing me!
Old Mar 21, 14, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
I just booked the following itinerary with no UA segments using the award travel search and then paying for it at the end:

NRT - HKG on ANA
HKG - PEK in Air China
PEK - NRT on ANA

Had no issues getting it ticketed on 016 - keep trying... I even called to make a change and there was no issue (wanted to fly the ANA 787 so switched flights after booking).

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 21, 14 at 3:57 am
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
I just booked the following itinerary with no UA segments using the award travel search and then paying for it at the end:

NRT - HKG on ANA
HKG - PEK in Air China
PEK - NRT on ANA

Had no issues getting it ticketed on 016 - keep trying... I even called to make a change and there was no issue (wanted to fly the ANA 787 so switched flights after booking).
It's a nice trick when there's award availability.

Won't work for the TK flights though because there's currently pretty much zero TK long-haul award availability through UA.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade View Post
Thanks for the advice. I looked up the fare rules, which read under "sales restrictions":
"TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON TK AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN SUDAN
TICKETS MAY BE ISSUED BY PTA."

I compared these fare rules to the fare rules of other flights I am considering and this is the only one with that first line's language. I think that's the kind of plating restriction mentioned above, so I'll be out of luck even if I contact a travel agent. Confirmation from someone better-versed than I am in interpreting fare rules would be appreciated. The PQD restrictions are killing me!
Yes, out of luck - but - not every fare rule has this restriction. If you subscribe to expertflyer or have a patient TA, they can go through the fares around your target price to find one that doesn't have the restriction.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Very interesting...I have been in a similar situation, which is odd because you would think much of the feed for the flight comes from UA pax at IAD (in the OP's case).

On a separate note, if they did ticket on TK ticket stock...would UA know if you earned US miles on the ticket if it were not a -016 ticket? Not that I am advocating doing this, but just wondering since this is a transition period for US...could someone traveling during this time period potentially double dip? or does UA have a way to find out if it is issued on TK's ticket stock?
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
On a separate note, if they did ticket on TK ticket stock...would UA know if you earned US miles on the ticket if it were not a -016 ticket? Not that I am advocating doing this, but just wondering since this is a transition period for US...could someone traveling during this time period potentially double dip? or does UA have a way to find out if it is issued on TK's ticket stock?
The entire reason to ticket on 016 stock is for PQD, and you can only get PQD if you credit to UA.

But regardless of how it's ticketed, I don't see any double-dip possibilities.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
.... On a separate note, if they did ticket on TK ticket stock...would UA know if you earned US miles on the ticket if it were not a -016 ticket? ...
If you try to claim MP credit, UA will go to TK and ask TK to authorize / purchase the mile credit. If already credited to another program TK will decline.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since 2010ish it has become much more difficult to have this done. Read up on IATA resolution 852 and you'll understand the hesitation from travel agents.
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:13 pm

Programs: China Southern Elite Gold

NRT - HKG on ANA
HKG - PEK in Air China
PEK - NRT on ANA

Was the fare any higher compared to booking directly with ANA or Air China? Because when I tried to book a Y fare Air China domestic CAN-PEK flight with the same trick, the website prompted me a 1900USD(11590CNY) fare. Later I went back to Air China's website and it gave me a 3200CNY fare in Y class on 999 ticket stock.
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by ben237829624 View Post
Was the fare any higher compared to booking directly with ANA or Air China? Because when I tried to book a Y fare Air China domestic CAN-PEK flight with the same trick, the website prompted me a 1900USD(11590CNY) fare. Later I went back to Air China's website and it gave me a 3200CNY fare in Y class on 999 ticket stock.
I booked mine in business class and it was the same price from Kayak / Expedia as from UA...
Old Mar 21, 14, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Won't work for the TK flights though because there's currently pretty much zero TK long-haul award availability through UA.
I noticed that too. Is this new policy or a temporary issue?
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I booked mine in business class and it was the same price from Kayak / Expedia as from UA...
I've been pricing AV tickets this way. UA charges about $6 more than AV on a $231 Y ticket BOG-CTG. Though a part of me rebels at the idea of paying even a nickel extra just to get PQD.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
I noticed that too. Is this new policy or a temporary issue?
Good question. It's slightly better if you start looking in early 2015, which makes me think maybe we just scraped it clean after deval was announced.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: