Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on Current UA Menus (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
Feedback on Current UA Menus (2014)

Just heard from the Managing Director of Global Catering that UA is redesigning the menus, and that now is the time to provide feedback on the current menus.

In that vein, please post your feedback on the menus. But please be pragmatic; recognize that there are significant costs at play here, so lobster is never going to be a realistic option. But, for example, one piece of feedback that was received and is being implemented, is the removal of the turkey "hockey puck" sausage on breakfast meals. Also recently implemented is the catering of greek-style yogurt, which has less sugar and more protein than traditional american-style yogurt.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by genemk2
Just heard from the Managing Director of Global Catering that UA is redesigning the menus, and that now is the time to provide feedback on the current menus.

In that vein, please post your feedback on the menus. But please be pragmatic; recognize that there are significant costs at play here, so lobster is never going to be a realistic option. But, for example, one piece of feedback that was received and is being implemented, is the removal of the turkey "hockey puck" sausage on breakfast meals. Also recently implemented is the catering of greek-style yogurt, which has less sugar and more protein than traditional american-style yogurt.
^^ That hockey puck is terrible.

Can we please go back to the roasted red potatoes instead of the current potato glop that goes along with the hockey puck and the eggs?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Bacon.
Glenlivet.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
My suggestion is just to change the entrees more often. I'm so tired of the watery omelet and gloppy potato cheese triangle served on SEA flights for YEARS with no change. Actually a couple weeks ago it was a pleasure to see an egg, ham & cheese croissant sandwich out of EWR...not that it would win any awards, but the variety was welcome.

I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt but it's all the rage now so I get why it's being served...can't please everybody.

And I haven't seen a cheeseburger in a long time and I really do like those...so rotate them in on occasion (maybe I've just been unlucky and they are still around).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I realize that most of the menu options are going to generally "mainstream" in nature - Beef, Chicken/Pork, Fish/Pasta, but I'd really like to see some "spicier" choices - or at least a little more regional variation - like spicy noodles, curries, soups, etc...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
My suggestion is just to change the entrees more often. I'm so tired of the watery omelet and gloppy potato cheese triangle served on SEA flights for YEARS with no change. Actually a couple weeks ago it was a pleasure to see an egg, ham & cheese croissant sandwich out of EWR...not that it would win any awards, but the variety was welcome.

I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt but it's all the rage now so I get why it's being served...can't please everybody.

And I haven't seen a cheeseburger in a long time and I really do like those...so rotate them in on occasion (maybe I've just been unlucky and they are still around).
I agree that the rotation seems less nowadays. I DID have cheeseburger on MIA-IAH dinner flight Sunday!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: United 1K
My major recombination - just rotate things - not just a selection of 2 things from a list of 6 - full menu changes once a quarter or so.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are already 250+ posts and 25K views in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1. Mystery-shop AA and just do what they're doing top to bottom (including online ordering), and UA will be competitive.
2. As a bonus touch, draw inspiration from the DL tray/plates, etc. (love the no-slip bamboo-style tray) for how to nicely modernize the presentation.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are already 250+ posts and 25K views in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html
That thread is a mainly a recitation of menus and pictures of food, with sparse reviews posted throughout. I'm trying to get a quick snapshot of current views in a condensed manner that will be useful to UA's management, as opposed to asking them to sort through 250+ posts.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: United Gold
Please allow passengers up front to buy the Tapas box!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
1) cold, fresh options on regional flights that are outside the realm of box-o-carbs. for instance, offer the noodle salad BOB from mainline Y as a meal in F on express. or a cold cut sandwich and chips. doesn't have to be fancy, but has to be better than the current offerings or lack thereof.

2) greatly increase the frequency of menu refreshes. i've been eating cereal for breakfast way too long.

3) improve portion sizes especially when it comes to entree salads. improve salad freshness. it's terrible relative to the competition (in both regards).

4) drop the "wraps" (beef burrito, chicken calzone -- i'm talking to you) and replace with something healthier/tastier.

5) stop being so damn cheap all the time

6) offer "premium" TCON wines on more routes in F

7) be more consistent. i'm tired of hearing "due to catering errors..."
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by genemk2
But, for example, one piece of feedback that was received and is being implemented, is the removal of the turkey "hockey puck" sausage on breakfast meals.
Looks like another cost-cutting move, as I doubt it will be replaced with anything.

My biggest gripes with the current menus are as follows:

- Empty bowls/cups on trays (makes degree of cost-cutting painfully evident)
- Burrito on an empty plate with no accompaniment/attempt at presentation
- (Virtually) the same hot breakfast served systemwide with few exceptions
- Limited menu choices combined with long/nonexistent refresh cycle
- Lack of alternative choices in menu rotation
- Inadequacy of main meal for flights exceeding 6h+ block time (Hawaii, Alaska, longest transcons)
- Mismatched linens (certain aircraft with giant cafeteria-style tray and tiny linen, just looks sloppy and cheap)
- Noncompetitive RJ first class offering (absolute worst-in-class, see AA/US/DL)
- Nondescript and generic china/place settings... other carriers have a much more distinctive design/branding philosophy (UA screams cheap)
- Constant cost-cutting/cheap trend (less... less... less... when does it stop?)
- Economy class paid offerings on 3h+ flights generally better/higher-quality than FC service
- Lack of quality wines/sparkling wine on p.s. service
- No online ordering
- Inconsistent provision of special meals
- Policy not to comp Y-class BOB items to FC customers unsatisfied with subpar first class meal offerings
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:56 am

If costs are at play, and there is no increase in the catering budget, I can't foresee any improvements. UA already has a razor thin catering budget, and as a result, their domestic offerings are disgusting and uncompetitive.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
That thread is a mainly a recitation of menus and pictures of food, with sparse reviews posted throughout. I'm trying to get a quick snapshot of current views in a condensed manner that will be useful to UA's management, as opposed to asking them to sort through 250+ posts.
really? the consensus is the food sucks. Quality, quantity and variety have been reduced.

Make F food worthy of a "First Class" experience, rather than taco bell/white castle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.