Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A thread for good fares we can use our GPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thread for good fares we can use our GPU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I really think other UA flyers are far more likely to notice and be interested in this stuff than the MR folks. This is relevant only to UA.
I agree. I think it would quickly get closed in the MR Deals forum, or even worse, get moved to the Discussion sub-forum where it would suffer a slow lingering death.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i would rather not see a thread of "R space open on such and such a date" but knowing that AAA-BBB has a W fare that is pricing reasonably could be valuable.
In my opinion, it shouldn't be about R space at all, as that transitory. It should just be about low upgradable fares. And I really don't think any kind of CPM limit is appropriate or necessary.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I agree. I think it would quickly get closed in the MR Deals forum, or even worse, get moved to the Discussion sub-forum where it would suffer a slow lingering death.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be about R space at all, as that transitory. It should just be about low upgradable fares. And I really don't think any kind of CPM limit is appropriate or necessary.
Agree basically on both counts. Having started a couple threads in the MR discussion sub-forum, I am familiar with the lingering death concept.

I think delta above the cheap fares is my most-interested-in metric.

Last edited by mgcsinc; Mar 17, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I like this topic as I love to do mileage runs to burn GPU's that I dont plan on using. I find best luck on the weekends... depart saturday - return sunday from IAH. Also, its often easy to find a W fare and R space at T-7. IAH-AMS, IAH-FRA are usually around $1100.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Yes to creating this thread^
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Disagree. The task of finding a cheap W fares is ill-suited for the MR forum. I think this is a great idea for a thread.
+1; we also need a thread for good deal B fares on UA...suggested many times but no one bites.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boss315
+1; we also need a thread for good deal B fares on UA...suggested many times but no one bites.
There's already a mr thread for good deal premium cabin fares. good-deal-premium-fares-2014
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's already a mr thread for good deal premium cabin fares. good-deal-premium-fares-2014
not really the same, OP is looking for YBM-ups, GD premium fares mostly ends up with UPDI posts for domestic/Americas fares and discounted J for international.

i'm always interested in M-ups, but i'm also always too cheap to actually pull the trigger on them. i balked at several this past week and ended up booking a G fare to a nearby city
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boss315
Honestly I'm afraid that if someone starts collecting good-deal B fares they'll go away. There was a glut of them a bit before the merger and some chatter about them and then they vanished.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
i'm always interested in M-ups, but i'm also always too cheap to actually pull the trigger on them.
With S-UPs, T-UPs, and K-UPs, who needs M-UPs?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With S-UPs, T-UPs, and K-UPs, who needs M-UPs?
people who want a slightly lower possibility of being downgraded when UA sends things sideways as they always do
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
people who want a slightly lower possibility of being downgraded when UA sends things sideways as they always do
I actually think it's the opposite. The reports of problems with the UPs are rare (though memorable). They are usually treated as front cabin fares for purposes of SDC, mileage bonuses, etc. I probably flew four or five of them last year without incident. By contrast, an M-UP is clearly an economy fare and requires PN availability to move into the front cabin.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
+1 Love the idea of a low W fare thread. Aren't there enough of us interested yet? Why procrastinate?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
+1 Love the idea of a low W fare thread. Aren't there enough of us interested yet? Why procrastinate?
Maybe the problem is that no one has yet found any W fares that are good deals?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Maybe the problem is that no one has yet found any W fares that are good deals?
They are out there. i looked and found a MR long wknd to Madrid via FRA in Jan to use up my GPUs and get a jumpstart on 2014. It was something like $7-800. UGs were avl at booking, Hotels were cheap, there were no tourists, and my s/o and I had a blast.
Not quite good enough to post on the MR thread, but for people like me looking specifically for something like this (and I know I'm not the only one), a useful thread would be great.

For those who don't like the idea, don't read it. Like we don't have room for another thread? How many posts are there arguing about the bag sizer?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Fares vary so much it would seem difficult. How about just a thread on which flights tend to have more R availability and which seem to have less (ie. SYD)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.