Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Expands Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Service to San Francisco for the Spring

Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Some passenger received that Mercedes transfer yesterday (3/14) on a flight from EWR-IAH. When we landed at IAH approximately 50 minutes late, the Mercedes and service cart was parked near the gate ready to go. It was announced that several passengers had very tight connections, so they asked people to be seated for a minute if they were not connecting in order to let those folks exit. Flight was on a sold out 767-400.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aveRex
Some passenger received that Mercedes transfer yesterday (3/14) on a flight from EWR-IAH. When we landed at IAH approximately 50 minutes late, the Mercedes and service cart was parked near the gate ready to go. It was announced that several passengers had very tight connections, so they asked people to be seated for a minute if they were not connecting in order to let those folks exit. Flight was on a sold out 767-400.
Presumably only some of those with the really tight connections go the car service. Plus, if you are getting the car and they are not holding the plane on the other end for you, UA is doing it wrong.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by IADDCA
I'm surprised that they don't have tarmac service at IAD. A lot of high-maintenance customers, the terminal is way out in the middle of nowhere, and plenty of people making connections from foreign arrivals to domestic flights.
Don't the people "making connections from foreign arrivals to domestic flights" have to go through immigration/customs first, even if using Global Entry?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I wish this service was more consistent. I've had 2 hour layovers where I've had the service... and I've had a late arriving flight with a 20 minute connection with nothing.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by DWFI
Exactly. It could well be that MB is paying for both car and fuel, or even car + fuel + driver. And given UA's relatively anti-elite stance (even including GS) I can't see UA forking out a substantial amount of cash to finance a service like this.
+1 I would not be surprised if MBUSA is footing most of the vehicle/fuel/driver bill for the marketing exposure, and UA is getting some LH type prestige; but I would think UA would at least need some additional coordinators at each station to organize this service. Clearly the partnership is working out for both parties if it is expanding.

I thought this service would have been useful at SFO when UX was using T1, but the international gates can still be quite a hike from most of T3.

SunLover
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Don't the people "making connections from foreign arrivals to domestic flights" have to go through immigration/customs first, even if using Global Entry?
Not exactly the same thing, but last year at NRT with a close connection/late arriving flight (from LAX), a GS agent picked me up inside the gate in a golf cart and drove me to the connecting terminal security line. This was inside the airport, not on the tarmac.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by SunLover

I thought this service would have been useful at SFO when UX was using T1, but the international gates can still be quite a hike from most of T3.

SunLover
I'm coming into SFO tomorrow on AC into T1 and flying out on UA GF from the international terminal. Already a somewhat tight connection so will be interested if I get this service if we are at all delayed. Clearing in Canada will mean not having to worry about customs/immigration.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:21 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I wish this service was more consistent. I've had 2 hour layovers where I've had the service... and I've had a late arriving flight with a 20 minute connection with nothing.
I wonder how they go about dispatching this driver. During your 2 hour layover the driver might not have had anyone else to take care of while you may have been further down the food chain during your 20-minute connection. The whole service seems like a novelty.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Of course you have to accommodate the 9 out of 10 SFO pax who are GS. So here's the Mercedes they'll be using:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wzr8BJjc7J...255B1%255D.jpg
This was great! ^
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I've gotten it once, at ORD--for a not particularly tight connection. Personally, I found it more embarrassing than worthwhile. Maybe I'd have felt differently if it *had* been a tight connection.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K

I'm a 1k, not a GS, but whenever I've flown LH through FRA or MUC in 1st, have always enjoyed their lounge to plane Tarmac service via MB, Porsche....if UA is trying to do something similar ...they need to try harder and explain under what conditions you get this service. At LH, you get this service from FCT to all LH/Swiss Flights, from FCLounge in B to all non B gates.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Pictures?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K

Here's an article regarding the service at ORD

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323423804579025120455867410?mobile =y

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323665504579029302122205982.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.