Community
Wiki Posts
Search

non-rev trumps 1k?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
yes, i was looking at the flight history and list, and no revenue passengers were standing by for F. (on the particular day this was posted and the day prior)
Nice to access to the info but there is no reason to believe either of those are the day the OP was referring to.
Not unusual for folks to post multiple days after an event.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by ElNegro
If it's not for business related matters for the company, I don't think employees should get a free pass to travel around.

Should fork up the money like the rest of us.
Are you kidding? Most employees at airlines apply for these jobs to receive benefits - and one of the biggest is Non-Rev travel, certainly not the pay and abuse they receive from "some" passengers.

I know many airline employees at many carriers and they say air travel is not like it was in the 1970's and 80's (I agree). Many say they would rather serve a kettle than an over entitled elite.

Most of these "elite" passengers do not buy their own tickets, their employer does. In my case - I am the employer, so I buy my own tickets.

If there is an empty seat, give it to the airline employee, they earned it.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's not for business related matters for the company, I don't think employees should get a free pass to travel around.

We do, every time we get paid.

My compensation package includes both pay and benefits. One of those benefits, which I purchase through lower wages, is the ability to fly in seats that would otherwise go empty. I don't begrudge you your compensation package, don't begrudge me mine.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Printed on the sides of their planes are the words, "UNITED AIRLINES".

Printed at the top of the employees pay checks are the words, "UNITED AIRLINES"!

NOWHERE, is it written that any FTer, passenger, or jealous wanna-bee has the power to determine who rides for less than anyone else does. United has the right to determine who they want to put in any seat on THEIR airplanes, and how much they want to charge them for that particular seat.

Fortunately, UA subscribes to the "Golden Rule", and that would be, he who has the Gold (planes) makes the rules!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by planemechanic
We do, every time we get paid.

My compensation package includes both pay and benefits. One of those benefits, which I purchase through lower wages, is the ability to fly in seats that would otherwise go empty. I don't begrudge you your compensation package, don't begrudge me mine.
I don't think anyone begrudges you your benefits - I just don't think everyone agrees it should be in first class or business class when others who spend thousands of dollars a year with your company (so you can have a job) can't upgrade.....

You do remember that these are your customers, right?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K

They get paid less because they have this benefit.

There are those who claim they don't. Those people are wrong, because the world could not possible work the way that they fantasize it to work.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I don't think anyone begrudges you your benefits - I just don't think everyone agrees it should be in first class or business class when others who spend thousands of dollars a year with your company (so you can have a job) can't upgrade.....

This argument is unbelievably silly. If you'd rather UA pay more rather than provide this benefit, take it up with the boys at the top. Don't blame the employees for taking advantage of the benefits that they bargained for.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This argument is unbelievably silly. If you'd rather UA pay more rather than provide this benefit, take it up with the boys at the top. Don't blame the employees for taking advantage of the benefits that they bargained for.
Never said it meant anything like that at all - I just think there are many people who don't think that an employee should bump a paying customer - if that makes my opinion "unbelievably silly" fine.

If there are empty seats then fine let them have them I support that 100% - but to disadvantage one of your customers to do it is wrong to me.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:10 pm

Never said it meant anything like that at all - I just think there are many people who don't think that an employee should bump a paying customer - if that makes my opinion "unbelievably silly" fine.

If there are empty seats then fine let them have them I support that 100% - but to disadvantage one of your customers to do it is wrong to me.
What disadvantage?
You are totally mistaken.

ALL upgrades for paying passengers clear before a non-rev gets that seat. There may be an exception for international, but again that is up to each individual airline and if a pax doesn't like the rules, the simple answer is to buy a F/C ticket, and bounce the over entitled employee back to where he belongs.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by LilAbner
What disadvantage?

ALL upgrades for paying passengers clear before a non-rev gets that seat. There may be an exception for international, but again that is up to each individual airline and if a pax doesn't like the rules, the simple answer is to buy a F/C ticket, and bounce the over entitled employee back to where he belongs.
Well 90 percent of my travel is international and I do see this happen quite a bit - not sure if my destinations are unusually employee popular but I know for a fact that not all upgrades clear before employees. Period.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
What's unbelievably silly is that you write that no one is begrudging employees well deserved benefits...and then proceed to write about how you understand people begrudging their benefits.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you actually read my post? I specifically Bolded and Underlined the section that addresses your last comment. Did you miss it?

The GA's should follow every rule and upgrade every passenger that is willing to support that upgrade in some form, miles, money, etc... Then, and only then, for seats that would otherwise go empty do employees get a chance to sit in them.

How much clear do you need this comment to be?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:31 pm

Well 90 percent of my travel is international and I do see this happen quite a bit - not sure if my destinations are unusually employee popular but I know for a fact that not all upgrades clear before employees. Period.
Well then you really ought to be writing to UA c/s and making a complaint in between periods!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LilAbner
What disadvantage?

There is not. The same rules apply system wide.

As someone who has spent DAYS trying to get home, hoping for any seat on an airplane I can tell you that the concept of employees riding before revenue passengers is silly.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:42 pm

There is not. The same rules apply system wide.

As someone who has spent DAYS trying to get home, hoping for any seat on an airplane I can tell you that the concept of employees riding before revenue passengers is silly.
You're wastin' your time splainin' on here "Mech"!
Don't confuse em with facts!
It's ALL Me, Me, Me!!!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:12 pm

Did you actually read my post? I specifically Bolded and Underlined the section that addresses your last comment. Did you miss it?

The GA's should follow every rule and upgrade every passenger that is willing to support that upgrade in some form, miles, money, etc... Then, and only then, for seats that would otherwise go empty do employees get a chance to sit in them.

How much clear do you need this comment to be?
All I can say to you is that your assumption that rules are being followed is either naive or misinformed. Don't disagree with you in theory at all - but I think we both know that the real world operates differently...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.