Community
Wiki Posts
Search

non-rev trumps 1k?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:54 am

I do not know how much an employee pays for a flight to London. I don't have access to United's internal network. I recalled having read somewhere that 'free' flights in UA GF or BF are not free for employees. A post on another website is $531. Thought it was $600. I was wrong.

My point has/had nothing to do with finding an exact cost. My point to those who complain about employees being allowed to fly in GF or BF at all is that employees have to fork over a lot of money. Sure $300, $400 and $500 isn't a lot of money, but given their salaries (which have been slashed time and again), it is. Plus when you look at the nature of standby travel (particularly when you have other folks who can pick up a ticket for not that much more and get a secure seat, earn miles and status and even be upgraded), I think they're frankly over-charged.

The United policy is that employees traveling for leisure get first or business class seats only after revenue passengers claim them.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:05 am

This thread has turned into who can find the correct amount that an employee is supposed to pay, which in nobody's business. In fact, it's nobody's business what ANYONE pays to fly on a UAL airplane, in any of the three cabins!

Like the oodles of threads that have preceded this one, it's just a matter of time before posters will determine that an employe shouldn't be allowed in any seat except 99F, and they, the loyal fan, are ALWAYS entitled to ride in 1A or 1B.

Last edited by LilAbner; Mar 17, 2014 at 4:35 am Reason: Other posters quote remove as a courtesy!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Is it really necessary to share with the world what an employee pays to fly somewhere? The subject of this thread is whether a non-rev trumped a paying pax for an upgrade, NOT what each person paid for their ticket.

This thread has turned into who can find the correct amount that an employee is supposed to pay, which in nobody's business. In fact, it's nobody's business what ANYONE pays to fly on a UAL airplane, in any of the three cabins!

Like the oodles of threads that have preceded this one, it's just a matter of time before posters will determine that an employe shouldn't be allowed in any seat except 99F, and they, the loyal fan, are ALWAYS entitled to ride in 1A or 1B.
-----------

My apologies, you are right, it's not pertinent or necessary to pinpoint exact dollar amounts on this subject of employees possibly out-trumping revenue pax (so I have deleted it). Please remove it out of your post if you can, thanks. When people ask me (and they do all the time) what I pay to travel, I just smile and say it varies but is a nicely reduced perk from my employer. Actually, I was wanting to indicate the correct amounts to CALMSP but I should just send him/her a message. Nevertheless, I think it's common knowledge that we don't pay in the high hundreds of dollars to travel non-rev.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Mar 16, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K
non-rev trumps 1k?

On todays BAH-KWI-IAD flight there were 18 UA employees, a family of 6+1 all in GF, 9 in BF and 2 who ended up in coach.

Was so shocked to see that this family of 6 (husband, wife and 4 kids) traveling in GF...and $mi$ek says us elites are over entitled....!

Try making the $$ for GF competitive and better service, then maybe someone with buy the fares. #%*#
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
On todays BAH-KWI-IAD flight there were 18 UA employees, a family of 6+1 all in GF, 9 in BF and 2 who ended up in coach.

Was so shocked to see that this family of 6 (husband, wife and 4 kids) traveling in GF...and $mi$ek says us elites are over entitled....!

Try making the $$ for GF competitive and better service, then maybe someone with buy the fares. #%*#
Outrageous. Since when do UA employees get to travel at all, especially in my coveted seat 99F?

I think they all had Tumi spinners, to boot...as well as "I (heart) Continental Airlines DYKWIWF***** luggage tags.....reverse side says IMOETY ****

"Do you know who I work for?

I'm more over entitled than you?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:56 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
...and $mi$ek says us elites are over entitled....!
I must've missed that sound byte. Link to primary source?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

you state today, is that Sunday March 16 from BAH?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:31 pm

non-rev trumps 1k?

Let's throw in something to mitigate all the non-revs and their special treatment: my last 3 deadheads were booked, by the "IT Company with Wings", in seats that are specifically prohibited per contract. That's NRPS, the PS part being Positive Space, as in, at the pleasure (and on the nickel of) of the aforementioned IT Company with Wings.

No favoritism in the ignorant mishandling of passengers here.

FAB
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
you state today, is that Sunday March 16 from BAH?
BAH-KWI was on Sat/KWI-IAD was on 3/16 at 12:05 am
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
Had a similar experience two days ago. I was on a GPU - I had cleared NRT-SFO but not on BKK_NRT.

There were 5 open seats in GF and 1 in BF. There were a number of open seats in Y. Ten minutes before boarding I checked the list and the same names appear on the standbye list as well as the upgrade lists.

I politely asked the GA if there would be people sitting in BF that would be moved to GF. She said no.

After we had boarded I checked the list and GF was now full. The woman one of the GAs was chatting with socially while ignoring passengers in line was in one of the seats. I saw here name on the her boarding pass.

The OLD United in the past would have worked some of the passengers from BF (C) into GF (F) in order to accommodate more of the paying passengers.
Old United or New United wouldnt move any BF to GF without an instrument being used... Employees can fill any vacant seat in GF or BF... paying customers can't upgrade 2 classes... so if in Y the best you can get is BF. No shenanigans...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
interesting what this fairly simple question turned into...

it didn't really matter what date it was

my post was a question or actually a complaint that UA prefers to give premium seats to employees rather than allowing status-pax to use their upgrade instruments (wasn't asking for a free upgrade, never expect it)

I understand that every once in a while a non-rev needs the space on the plane for a last-minute business trip. But this happens often and I don't think it's business travel most of the time.

Overall, I was not a happy camper in Y on that TATL redeye and that's what should be important to UA. Well, tomorrow I will fly AA instead and see what happens there.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mapu
interesting what this fairly simple question turned into...

it didn't really matter what date it was

my post was a question or actually a complaint that UA prefers to give premium seats to employees rather than allowing status-pax to use their upgrade instruments (wasn't asking for a free upgrade, never expect it)

I understand that every once in a while a non-rev needs the space on the plane for a last-minute business trip. But this happens often and I don't think it's business travel most of the time.

Overall, I was not a happy camper in Y on that TATL redeye and that's what should be important to UA. Well, tomorrow I will fly AA instead and see what happens there.
just for clarification, you were trying to go from Y to GF?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALMSP
just for clarification, you were trying to go from Y to GF?
No!

There were two gentlemen with 1k status.

I was trying to get from Y into BF using a GPU.

A second gentlemen tried to get from BF to GF using a GPU.

Neither one of us was successful however since the non-rev went from standby to GF.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mapu
No!

There were two gentlemen with 1k status.

I was trying to get from Y into BF using a GPU.

A second gentlemen tried to get from BF to GF using a GPU.

Neither one of us was successful however since the non-rev went from standby to GF.
The only possible problem is that perhaps the second gentleman did not fully disclose everything to you. Perhaps he was hoping for something that he could not support --- i.e. Not having the proper fare class for an upgrade or maybe he didn't even have a GPU as he stated. Taking the word of other people standing in line, then running to FT with a conspiracy theory, claiming that a non-rev and a g/a were playing games can become a problem and/or embarrassment for the person making this claim, especially without ALL the facts and proof in hand.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

What possible reason to lie could a middle-aged business traveler have?

This is neither OMNI nor high school...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.