Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus While Crediting Another FF Program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

I tried searching, but failed miserably...

I am United Silver, but am crediting a flight to another Star Alliance partner. Clearly the OLCI or kiosks won't let me move to E+ at T24, but could I get a phone agent or gate agent to move me without changing the partner FF number out? I suppose this is YMMV? Has anyone had any success with this?

Or per mzrn's advice - swap my United FF in at T24 change seats and swap the partner number back in? Is the UA system pretty good about remembering what the last FF number was entered?

Thanks!

Last edited by CApreppie; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
The gate agents can definitely do it, but it's a bit of an explanation.

Frankly, it's just easier to go on united.com, swap in your MP#, pick your seat, then swap back to your partner FF.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by mzrn
The gate agents can definitely do it, but it's a bit of an explanation.

Frankly, it's just easier to go on united.com, swap in your MP#, pick your seat, then swap back to your partner FF.
Thanks - I added your advice to my original post. I haven't done a lot of FF number changing with UA - is the system good about remembering correctly what the last number put in was?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CApreppie
is the system good about remembering correctly what the last number put in was?
What does it need to remember? It knows the most recent number only. It has no memory beyond that.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Once you have your E+ assignment, you should be OK UNLESS there is an aircraft change or other event that causes a seating sweep. Unlikely in the last 24 hours.

The system does not remember prior entries -- you are presently in the system as not a MP member.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE, UA G, Marriott P Prem, BW D, Club Carlson G, Accor G, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once you have your E+ assignment, you should be OK UNLESS there is an aircraft change or other event that causes a seating sweep. Unlikely in the last 24 hours.

The system does not remember prior entries -- you are presently in the system as not a MP member.
Does this also apply to CPUs?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tonystella1962
Does this also apply to CPUs?

Thanks!
Once upgraded you should be OK to change your FF program to credit -- however best not to do it with an actual agent in case they decide it should not be allowed.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once upgraded you should be OK to change your FF program to credit -- however best not to do it with an actual agent in case they decide it should not be allowed.
Thank you for your help.

I am thinking my issue isn't as simple as I would like it to be. I had my CPU confirmed today for the second leg of my flights tomorrow. I am concerned that if I change my FF # in my originating city prior to boarding, I may lose the CPU for the longer part of my trip.

Once again thanks for your insight.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
Thank you for your help.

I am thinking my issue isn't as simple as I would like it to be. I had my CPU confirmed today for the second leg of my flights tomorrow. I am concerned that if I change my FF # in my originating city prior to boarding, I may lose the CPU for the longer part of my trip.

Once again thanks for your insight.
Generally, if it is confirmed already, i.e, it shows R, you should be okay sitting in F.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:38 pm

.... I am thinking my issue isn't as simple as I would like it to be. I had my CPU confirmed today for the second leg of my flights tomorrow. I am concerned that if I change my FF # in my originating city prior to boarding, I may lose the CPU for the longer part of my trip. .....
Once upgraded you still should be OK, but chances for waitlisted CPUs will disappear once you have change the crediting program.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:42 pm

Thank you for all the help.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:51 pm

Here's an update.

My CPU was confirmed yesterday morning (R). I switched out my UA FF # last night to my AP #. Was delayed this morning on the outbound due to issues at ORD. Missed the flight I was upgraded on. Was rerouted with connection through EWR on a 319 on way to SJU. Was worried I'd be kicked back were I belong Nope, was rebooked in R all the way to final destination with my AP # on the file.

Thanks once again for sharing.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience in the field. Good to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.