Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
All mainline UA aircfraft should have PDE available (April 2018)
Supported devices

Courtesy of JOSECONLSCREW28

If anybody can update this wiki with roll out dates, that will be helpful!

Entertainment options in the future:

Continental Airlines aircraft:
B777-200ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-400ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B787-8 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B787-9 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B757-300 851 - 859 DirecTV/SatelliteWiFi
B757-300 860 - 871 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B737-900/900ER 401 - 464 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-900ER 465 - 478 Streaming Content/Satellite Wifi
B737-800 202 - 226, 228 - 231, 233 - 234, 237 - 239, 241 - 245, 247 - 248, 250 - 299, 501 - 531 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-800 201, 227, 232, 235 - 236, 240, 246, 249 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 701 - 719, 721 - 724, 726 - 733, 750 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 720, 734, 735, 736 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi

United Airlines aircraft:
B747-400 AVOD + Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 International AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 Hawaiian Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 2-cabin AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 3-cabin AVOD/Looping IFE/Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 PS AVOD/Streaming Content/GoGo WiFi
B737-900ER Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
A319/A320 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi

This other thread is also invaluable for general fleet updates:

United Airlines Fleet Updates [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
another example of UA's ready, fire, aim philosophy.....
Old May 9, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
I have yet to be on any flight with functioning wifi. I also bought a tablet, because so many flights have had the IFE ripped out already. The first time this happened, I asked the FA about it, and she said that all the planes are having the IFE removed. I had no IFE or functioning wifi on a 3-leg trip to Hawaii last week. Upon my return this week, I asked the FA if there was wifi on board. I told her that since all the IFE is being ripped out, that I had to buy a tablet. She responded by asking, "What do you mean? EVERY United flight has IFE." When I tried to tell her the opposite, she looked at me like I was crazy. Great training from corporate!
Old May 9, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bearwoody
I have yet to be on any flight with functioning wifi. I also bought a tablet, because so many flights have had the IFE ripped out already. The first time this happened, I asked the FA about it, and she said that all the planes are having the IFE removed. I had no IFE or functioning wifi on a 3-leg trip to Hawaii last week. Upon my return this week, I asked the FA if there was wifi on board. I told her that since all the IFE is being ripped out, that I had to buy a tablet. She responded by asking, "What do you mean? EVERY United flight has IFE." When I tried to tell her the opposite, she looked at me like I was crazy. Great training from corporate!
Some more readers for Jose's putative new newsletter!
Old May 9, 2014, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Don't know why UA couldn't have gone with a browser based platform - guess that would have been too simple.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Don't know why UA couldn't have gone with a browser based platform - guess that would have been too simple.
They will! Of course they will.

Native apps are often a good way to begin a phased rollout though, since they're easier to test against. Fewer configurations, better access to device-specific hardware acceleration, etc.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
So I updated my Ipad app yesterday. Where do I find this option to view anything? I don't see it.

I presume that, per Jose, I will still have the films in C on a 777 IAD-FRA (UA 932) on Monday.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by euslaner
So I updated my Ipad app yesterday. Where do I find this option to view anything? I don't see it.

I presume that, per Jose, I will still have the films in C on a 777 IAD-FRA (UA 932) on Monday.
The streaming video is available on a very limited number of aircraft, consisting of (a) the reconfigured Hawaii 772's, and (b) a very small number of 739's (is it even more than 1 yet?).

Your IAD-FRA flight will have the traditional built-in personal-screen AVOD. This is a good thing, it's a much broader selection and much more reliable than the current streaming content.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The streaming video is available on a very limited number of aircraft, consisting of (a) the reconfigured Hawaii 772's, and (b) a very small number of 739's (is it even more than 1 yet?).

Your IAD-FRA flight will have the traditional built-in personal-screen AVOD. This is a good thing, it's a much broader selection and much more reliable than the current streaming content.
Thanks, but the issue is that I can't find anything on the app. The best solution would be for UA to give up on this unbelievably stupid idea. If you are in F or C and you want to lie down, you would need to keep your tray table open. Of course, in Y, you would need to keep your tray table open at all times (but you can't lie down). So how do you, in Y, eat on the tiny tray table and watch? Or, as LBJ said of Gerald Ford, he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. A new motto for UA?
Old May 9, 2014, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you are in F or C and you want to lie down, you would need to keep your tray table open.
No need to worry about that. The aircraft with lie-flats will continue to have built-in personal monitors.

Although I will say I often watch movies on my mac in a lie-flat and it's really not a problem.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Thanks, but the issue is that I can't find anything on the app. The best solution would be for UA to give up on this unbelievably stupid idea.
There's nothing to "find" in the updated app until you're on a flight where the system is running. Until then the code just lurks in the background.

And why must an idea be "unbelievably stupid" just because you disagree with it? Can't you admit that others may benefit, even if you're certain you won't? Tens of thousands of people board UA planes with mini screens in their carry-ons every day, eager to pass the time on their flights. This strategy makes a heck of a lot more sense than continually installing, repairing, and upgrading seat back monitors.

Notice I said "strategy." Sadly, I have close to zero confidence that UA's execution will be up to par, or even competent. They're so far behind the industry even getting wifi working that this seems a stretch. At least the in-flight streaming is self-contained, and won't require satellite bandwidth. That'll make it easier to troubleshoot.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Streaming video now available

I am on A320 #4101 right now with full streaming video, a pretty good size library of movies and TV shows available on my iPad. Laptops have full access as well. No cost, it's an additional tab on the unitedwifi.com menu page called Entertainment. I'll post some screen shots of the video menus shortly. Flight attendant had no idea this was live. So he made an announcement to the plane that this was available. More than I expected as far as selection. Better selection and more recent than services like amazon prime.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JC5280
I am on A320 #4101 right now with full streaming video, a pretty good size library of movies and TV shows available on my iPad. Laptops have full access as well. No cost, it's an additional tab on the unitedwifi.com menu page called Entertainment. I'll post some screen shots of the video menus shortly. Flight attendant had no idea this was live. So he made an announcement to the plane that this was available. More than I expected as far as selection. Better selection and more recent than services like amazon prime.
Hows the quality? Is it fast? Buffering? Thx
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by JC5280
screenshots please!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Here you go....

A couple of things to note. This says its complimentary, for a limited time. I was viewing on my iPad and experienced good quality. Not amazing quality, but definitely SD and very clear. No buffering issues at all. Movies started with little delay. You can watch a preview or play the video after reading the description. This played through the app, but with very little delay. Quicker than my amazon prime and Apple TV at home. The selection was much better than I expected. Nothing really new release that I saw, but a good mixture of movies from the last few years.

A few cons: the movie played in landscape mode, but I couldn't rotate by iPad once it started playing. In other words, the way my iPad props up for video viewing had to be modified since it played "upside down". Once a move was started, if you exited, you couldn't resume from where you left off. Scrolling forward and back was tricky. The navigation bar is different than the iPads video navigation, but equally as tough to use. The pause button didn't respond quickly.

https://imageshack.com/i/eyHP1Hwnj

https://imageshack.com/i/ezbR4Q2Aj

https://imageshack.com/i/eyZkk0xrj

Last edited by JC5280; Aug 22, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: SW A-list, Marriott, National
I was on UA748 Fri evening, A320 #4265, DEN-BWI. It had the new streaming entertainment menu as well. Unfortunately, while there were dozens of TV episodes and movies for Apple OS's (and maybe laptops), only a small minority worked on my Android tablet. There was a specific indicator icon for those on the listings. The limited shows I could watch weren't impressive (NCIS, Walking Dead, some PBS-like travel and science shows I had never heard of, and about 8 foreign language movies), but it passed the time. And it was free. Very little buffering, on the items I could watch. Though, the image quality wasn't amazing.

There was no announcement about the entertainment, so it caught me off guard. And, of course, no power outlets to go along with the terrible Recaro seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.