Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
All mainline UA aircfraft should have PDE available (April 2018)
Supported devices

Courtesy of JOSECONLSCREW28

If anybody can update this wiki with roll out dates, that will be helpful!

Entertainment options in the future:

Continental Airlines aircraft:
B777-200ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-400ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B787-8 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B787-9 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B757-300 851 - 859 DirecTV/SatelliteWiFi
B757-300 860 - 871 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B737-900/900ER 401 - 464 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-900ER 465 - 478 Streaming Content/Satellite Wifi
B737-800 202 - 226, 228 - 231, 233 - 234, 237 - 239, 241 - 245, 247 - 248, 250 - 299, 501 - 531 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-800 201, 227, 232, 235 - 236, 240, 246, 249 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 701 - 719, 721 - 724, 726 - 733, 750 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 720, 734, 735, 736 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi

United Airlines aircraft:
B747-400 AVOD + Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 International AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 Hawaiian Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 2-cabin AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 3-cabin AVOD/Looping IFE/Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 PS AVOD/Streaming Content/GoGo WiFi
B737-900ER Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
A319/A320 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi

This other thread is also invaluable for general fleet updates:

United Airlines Fleet Updates [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
Why in the world do they roll these things out on Airbus then 747s (similar to wifi)? Almost all the domestic routes are 737s.

With wifi it's such a joke. They show the updates by aircraft making it seem like they are close across the board (except 737s). In reality, only 20% (sadly I did the math) of the fleet are currently updated with wifi.

Ok -- my rant is done for the day.
UA has ~150 A319/320s. They fly huge numbers of domestic routes. In fact, they fly less overwater routes than the 737 fleet. "Almost all" the domestic routes are not 737s - not even close.

These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad. Most of the 737s have live TV and most of the rest of the long haul fleet has AVOD in Y (except the awful 763s).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
I can see it now ... I am checking my email and the cabin doors close, when the UA app opens on my device and the Jeff Smisek video starts playing.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm on yet another dark A320, and they've already announced the wifi isn't working. So I'm less than confident they can execute this when they can't even get the basics right.
Streaming IFE != WiFi internet.

Both use WiFi. WiFi inside the plane always seemed to work. WiFi internet requires a stable connection somewhere -- and that seems like the flaky part currently.. can't get outside the plane.

Streaming IFE requires a server farm. Once it's on the plane, no problem. =)
In principle, this should be easier than WiFi internet. I make no judgments as to their success.

If they were smart, they would offer to stick a bunch of us in a Airbus sitting on the ground during a DO for seven hours and see if we can crash the thing / hack into navigational controls. I bet they wont. I look forward to being a beta tester. Can I pay for this with my drink chits?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryman554
Can I pay for this with my drink chits?
What would you be paying for?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
Streaming IFE != WiFi internet.

Streaming IFE requires a server farm. Once it's on the plane, no problem. =)
In principle, this should be easier than WiFi internet. I make no judgments as to their success.
"no problem"? Maybe in an alternate universe. Or on some other airline. There have been all sorts of problems with the streaming IFE on the Hawaii configured 772s.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
"no problem"? Maybe in an alternate universe. Or on some other airline. There have been all sorts of problems with the streaming IFE on the Hawaii configured 772s.
The major ones being that there are no power outlets and the IFE does not work with Android devices.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Need
Originally Posted by laginibre
This could be good (especially on a TATL 747 in Economy) but only if power plugs are also available at all seats. Even fully charged, my Personal Device will not last for the whole flight!
External battery pack is your friend.
Yup as according to .sux, power plugs are "coming soon" and for those in Y on planes with power plugs, if you don't have an external battery pack, better grab a plug as soon as you stow your carry-on in the overhead bin and sit down as it's only two plugs per 3 seats
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Death of Ch 9?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Death of Ch 9?
Imho, Yup
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
It's still free. The only people that this is a downgrade for are (a) people who don't have a laptop, phone or tablet they can use to watch the new content, or (b) people who prefer watching reruns of TV shows on a mark I LCD screen that is unwatchable from most viewing angles.

Assuming it works - and that's a big assumption - I see this as a huge improvement for these aircraft. But of course that type of logic doesn't necessarily apply here
I don't get it. If I bring my own device, I can easily bring my own content as well and be certain to get something I want to watch.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
I don't get it. If I bring my own device, I can easily bring my own content as well and be certain to get something I want to watch.
Very few people fully download recent movies and TV shows onto their devices before each flight. It's not as easy for most people as you claim, and it can be expensive. Most folks rely on streaming of some kind.

As someone who works in online video, trust me when I say that your excellent planning and available storage make you an extreme outlier.

Originally Posted by star_world
UA has ~150 A319/320s. They fly huge numbers of domestic routes. In fact, they fly less overwater routes than the 737 fleet. "Almost all" the domestic routes are not 737s - not even close.

These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad. Most of the 737s have live TV and most of the rest of the long haul fleet has AVOD in Y (except the awful 763s).
And then there are the 757s I always fly SFO<>BOS. It's nearly a seven-hour flight when there are headwinds -- longer than some transatlantic flights -- and yet there's not wifi, AVOD, or at-seat power on a single aircraft. It's really shocking given the competition.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 13, 2014 at 7:21 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Very few people fully download recent movies and TV shows onto their devices before each flight. It's not as easy for most people as you claim, and it can be expensive. Most folks rely on streaming of some kind.

As someone who works in online video, trust me when I say that your excellent planning and available storage make you an extreme outlier.
I'll admit to being somewhat on the leading edge here, but in case you haven't noticed, downloadable content is being added quite rapidly—faster than UA is rolling out their streaming service—by cable companies, Tivo, premium networks, etc., often included in your subscriptions at no extra charge. When you add in UA's requirement to have a suitable viewing device that can hold a charge long enough to enjoy the content, you've already eliminated a large part of the non tech-savvy masses.

While having the newest movies does have some value (if they're uncut, include no advertising, and are free, which I doubt they'll be), my highest priority would have been power, followed by decent wifi, and then a screen I could watch while eating. I suspect that few people would put the streaming stuff at the top of their list.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
...my highest priority would have been power, followed by decent wifi...
+1. This alone would make a tremendous difference to the inflight experience. I have a hard time believing they can execute on a streaming solution when maintaining wifi on equipped planes is such a nightmare already
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
And then there are the 757s I always fly SFO<>BOS. It's nearly a seven-hour flight when there are headwinds -- longer than some transatlantic flights -- and yet there's not wifi, AVOD, or at-seat power on a single aircraft. It's really shocking given the competition.
You will be missing the 757 soon when all you get is a 739 dark aircraft with awful seats!!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by md25
.... I have a hard time believing they can execute on a streaming solution when maintaining wifi on equipped planes is such a nightmare already
The streaming solution is in certain ways easier that manipulating the internet satellite link. The streaming solution is a contained environment and does not depending on the aircraft to satellite link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.