Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
All mainline UA aircfraft should have PDE available (April 2018)
Supported devices

Courtesy of JOSECONLSCREW28

If anybody can update this wiki with roll out dates, that will be helpful!

Entertainment options in the future:

Continental Airlines aircraft:
B777-200ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-400ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B787-8 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B787-9 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B757-300 851 - 859 DirecTV/SatelliteWiFi
B757-300 860 - 871 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B737-900/900ER 401 - 464 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-900ER 465 - 478 Streaming Content/Satellite Wifi
B737-800 202 - 226, 228 - 231, 233 - 234, 237 - 239, 241 - 245, 247 - 248, 250 - 299, 501 - 531 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-800 201, 227, 232, 235 - 236, 240, 246, 249 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 701 - 719, 721 - 724, 726 - 733, 750 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 720, 734, 735, 736 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi

United Airlines aircraft:
B747-400 AVOD + Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 International AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 Hawaiian Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 2-cabin AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 3-cabin AVOD/Looping IFE/Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 PS AVOD/Streaming Content/GoGo WiFi
B737-900ER Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
A319/A320 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi

This other thread is also invaluable for general fleet updates:

United Airlines Fleet Updates [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Laptop is impossible.
iPad is very possible, just go portrait instead of landscape with the meal tray.

Some of the real losses of BYOD to me are:
- Posture (always looking down versus looking straight ahead)
- In Flight Map
- Ability to watch new movies/tv shows (last time i had the streaming it seemed to be older content versus true AVOD)
- Ability to watch Live-TV
- Ability to multi-task (watch TV and work)

mahasamatman has a good point too. I look out of the window more so than anything else.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by snowed
Laptop is impossible.
iPad is very possible, just go portrait instead of landscape with the meal tray.

Some of the real losses of BYOD to me are:
- Posture (always looking down versus looking straight ahead)
- In Flight Map
- Ability to watch new movies/tv shows (last time i had the streaming it seemed to be older content versus true AVOD)
- Ability to watch Live-TV
- Ability to multi-task (watch TV and work)

mahasamatman has a good point too. I look out of the window more so than anything else.
Posture: An earlier poster had a great suggestion of making a hook that mounts your device on the seatback.

MultiTask: That is a real issue for me. I always read on my 7'' tablet while flying (even if simultaneously watching a movie), and would rather not have to pull my 11'' notebook out just for another screen. I could see the same for others who are trying to touch up some work on the trip.

Content Issues: There is no reason at all an airline can not provide the same content to a personal device that is provided on the seatback equipment. So that SHOULD not be an issue.

Overall I am OK with the concept, but suspect that I am more "equipped" than the average pax to handle it.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Not sure I understand why people are saying this is difficult/impossible with a laptop. I have a 15" HP brick and I can easily slide it to one side and still have room on the tray for a cup, and can, and a bottle of gin. If I'm eating I usually just hold the container (I guess I can see how it would be harder with a snackbox). Of course this arrangement works best in a window seat.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
I guess you don't fly sCO longhaul, or sUA 772, either?
I do, but (a) those screens are well isolated, and (b) I almost never use the touchscreen, and have rarely seen anyone else do so either. That's what the remote is for.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1 MM
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS

Has anybody thought this through? There will be no way to enjoy a movie with a snack/cocktail/drink. As it is in Y I can't fit drinks/food on the table, let alone my own entertainment.
Also, with everyone lowering trays to place their tablets/laptops, movement for passengers, except those in aisle seats, will be made even more difficult and inconvenient. Screens really belong in the seat back in front of us.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
BTW - if you touch type (dating myself) you can work the laptop under the table and the screen in front of the tray on many seats in Y..
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It's been on on the Hawaiian 777s for a few months now. I should have been more specific - any idea as to when it is going to start on the non-Hawaian aircraft?

According to the mainline fleet site, many of the Airbiis are already equipped for it, but it is inoperable. Does anyone know when this will be turned on?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by phkc070408
It's been on on the Hawaiian 777s for a few months now. I should have been more specific - any idea as to when it is going to start on the non-Hawaian aircraft?

According to the mainline fleet site, many of the Airbiis are already equipped for it, but it is inoperable. Does anyone know when this will be turned on?
Well, given that they changed the Hub article from "Starting this April" to "Starting this Spring", it's clearly getting dragged on and on.

I see 75+ Airbii listed as being equipped with streaming capabilities, yet it appears none have actually been turned on yet. Symptomatic of UA these days to announce something and not execute. Given that I seem to end up on one of these dark Airbii at least once a week, I will be pleasantly surprised when I actually get one that has entertainment working....
Old May 5, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Don't see purpose

Was on 777 HNL-LAX yesterday with it.
Seems like an incomplete product, the purser started introducing it saying the plane is NOT internet ready, there's no power ports, and that the Panasonic unit has occasionally stopped for a bit, then restarts.
Looked at selection briefly, had ten different TV shows, and about 25 movies, none of which I was interested in.
So went back to my selection of movies/TV's I keep on my ultrabook.

I appreciate the weight savings not putting in a ever useless monitor at each seat, but at least put a larger variety of programming.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wasn't working on HNL-SFO last Friday. Purser directed us to Appreciation link, offers for this lowly 1K were a $50 ecert or 2500 miles.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nookanaya
Not sure I understand why people are saying this is difficult/impossible with a laptop. I have a 15" HP brick and I can easily slide it to one side and still have room on the tray for a cup, and can, and a bottle of gin. If I'm eating I usually just hold the container (I guess I can see how it would be harder with a snackbox). Of course this arrangement works best in a window seat.
Not with the new slimline seats. The tray tables on those things are TINY compared to the old ones.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I think the concept is a downgrade from having a screen/monitor in the seat in front of you.

I always use BOB food, and drinks, and I can't fit my food and drinks on the tiny tray table as it is. To have to use your own device is just an added inconvenience.

Also, i think of my parents who don't own anything like this, nor will they - they will have no choices. Not a plus in my book.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Also, i think of my parents who don't own anything like this, nor will they - they will have no choices. Not a plus in my book.
Walk, don't run, and buy your parents an iPad mini. It'll change their lives. Seriously, my mom and her iPad are inseparable now, and she loathes traditional computers. iPads are built from the ground up for novice users.

If a new one is too pricey, get a refurbished model. Older models generally work fine, especially if your usage is limited to web, email, movies, FaceTime, and Angry Birds.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Posture: An earlier poster had a great suggestion of making a hook that mounts your device on the seatback.

MultiTask: That is a real issue for me. I always read on my 7'' tablet while flying (even if simultaneously watching a movie), and would rather not have to pull my 11'' notebook out just for another screen. I could see the same for others who are trying to touch up some work on the trip.

Overall I am OK with the concept, but suspect that I am more "equipped" than the average pax to handle it.
Posture: When I watch movies on laptop, I generally fold it out fully flat and stand it up on the tray. This puts the screen at generally the same height (or higher) than the seat back display.

Multi-Task: Double ^. I'm generally working while watching the movie, and if I have to use my laptop display, that really cuts into it.

I'm pretty ok on this for short flights, but for 3+ Hour flights the planes really need to have on-board power too. I don't own any device that going to last more that 3 hours without external power.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
had the new app (v 2.0.13) in my ipad's app store this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.