Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check bag through on two tickets, UA and LH?

Old Mar 9, 14, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold

I am thinking of booking a ticket RNO-MUC, connecting in SFO. Need to book the SFO-MUC segment on LH so I can upgrade. Unfortunately LH does not sell the RNO-SFO flight I need, so I need to buy a separate ticket on UA for RNO-SFO.

Thus, my itinerary will be
RNO-SFO on UA (actually Skywest)
SFO-MUC on LH
on separate tickets.

If I do this, will I be able to check my bag all the way through to MUC from RNO? I don't have enough connecting time to pick up the bag in SFO, so I won't be able to buy the ticket if the answer is no.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 14, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Yes you will be able to. You just need to show your LH documentation to the agent when you check in at RNO.

Last edited by Marin 1K; Mar 9, 14 at 12:26 am Reason: Typo.
Old Mar 9, 14, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat

Or you can buy it on expedia or other travel agency, so you are protected in case of IRROP.
Old Mar 9, 14, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by justageek View Post
I don't have enough connecting time to pick up the bag in SFO, so I won't be able to buy the ticket if the answer is no.
Yes UA will interline for you. But if your connection is that short, you might want to reconsider the separate tickets. Or book a longer connection. Particularly since you will be on a delay-prone UX RJ, which will then arrive in T1.

I would probably book WN out of Reno before I'd book a UX RJ on a separate ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: