Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BusinessFirst on intl flight only 40% full

BusinessFirst on intl flight only 40% full

Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I still don't understand why anyone would choose the UA business seat with no direct aisle access availability and 7 across seating in J.
It beats the h3ll out of sitting in Y. I can sleep quite nicely sitting in an inside IPTE seat. No so well in Y.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
In many cases, the middles get filled by people that want those 4 together, or last minute upgraders / non revs. The all aisle access business class is for the most part a recent benefit. Eventually UA will get there. Most flights on AF/LH and many other airlines aren't even at lay flat beds on all their longhaul fleet. It's an ever evolving cycle
Uh, by "recent" you mean 11 years? Virgin introduced them in 2003. Air New Zealand copied them in 2004 and Air Canada in 2006. I'm not sure about SWISS and US but you can hardly argue it's a new thing. There are always going to be laggards but you don't get far by measuring yourself against the worst of your peers.

And UA's new business class isn't an aging product. It was just introduced in the last couple years and still isn't even completely rolled out. They consciously chose to go with a non-suite style when that was the state of the art. One can only imagine to try to retain any value for their "first class" product which is basically comparable to most international business class products.

Last edited by zkzkz; Mar 7, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I'm flying back from Scotland in a few days time and the remaining business class tickets from Edinburgh or Glasgow back to EWR are currently being sold on United.com for a staggering $9000 per seat for business class. I have no idea if they actually ever get this price, or why anyone would ever pay it, but so be it
I compare it to the jewelry stores at this point. I have to imagine it is priced at $9,000 so they can offer their corporate contracts a whopper of a discount.

(Everything now 50% off !!!)

In more seriousness, I am sure there is a premium for being the only non-stop available to EWR. If you can fly into JFK, the price will drop SIGNIFICANTLY.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zkzkz
And UA's new business class isn't an aging product. It was just introduced in the last couple years and still isn't even completely rolled out. They consciously chose to go with a non-suite style when that was the state of the art. One can only imagine to try to retain any value for their "first class" product which is basically comparable to most international business class products.
CO had their seat flying in 2009, as did UA. It is "completely rolled out", not sure why you think otherwise?

As of now, IMO they are both average seats. In 5 years, when they are still delivering planes with the CO seat, it will be below average.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
CO had their seat flying in 2009, as did UA. It is "completely rolled out", not sure why you think otherwise?

As of now, IMO they are both average seats. In 5 years, when they are still delivering planes with the CO seat, it will be below average.
Exactly. Why they didn't take the opportunity to introduce a modern product on the 787 shows just how poor their strategic vision is - assuming they even have one.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 7, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Well the topic under discussion this time was the "all-aisle access". I admit it sounds a lot like eternal the "lie-flat" discussions though. CO is not all-aisle access.

When CO rolled out in 2010 it was good (despite *not* having all aisle access), and now it's average. When UA began rolling out in 2012 it was only average then.

I didn't realize they had completed the roll-out. When I last flew UA business it was about a year ago and people were still having to check a wiki to figure out which plane had it and which didn't.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
There are no pilot rest seats on the 757 from Scotland. Flight is under 8hrs so all 16 avail. Yes it's the last 1-2 seats, but still an amazingly high price
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does use targeted freebies for it's higher-end customers, e.g. GPU's. That gives the pax a taste of the good life in the hope that the same pax will pay the premium to sit upfront the next time.

Simply handing out freebies is a way to turn international premium into what domestic F has become. Less and less product differentiation and fewer people who would pay for the product willing to do so because they think that they will get it for free.

UA has eliminated the CPU on p.s. routes (JFK-LAX/SFO) and DL has done so for the same routes + SEA. All in return for an improved product.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Well the topic under discussion this time was the "all-aisle access". I admit it sounds a lot like eternal the "lie-flat" discussions though. CO is not all-aisle access.
The VX/AC seats you speak of, while all-aisle access, were called "coffins" for a reason...there were a lot of downsides to that style of seat (though all aisle was the key benefit).

When CO rolled out in 2010 it was good (despite *not* having all aisle access), and now it's average. When UA began rolling out in 2012 it was only average then.
UA announced their seat in 2007, and it actually launched (IIRC) a year ahed of CO's seat.

http://new.pentagram.com/2008/04/uni...ins-cond-nast/

They actually were award winning.

I didn't realize they had completed the roll-out. When I last flew UA business it was about a year ago and people were still having to check a wiki to figure out which plane had it and which didn't.
There were a few 777s that weren't yet re-configred - but the other ~80 int'l widebodies all were

Originally Posted by Often1
Simply handing out freebies is a way to turn international premium into what domestic F has become. Less and less product differentiation and fewer people who would pay for the product willing to do so because they think that they will get it for free.
1. This completely ignores the fact that DL and AA also offer such "freebies" as you call them (which are actually rewards for doing 100K+ miles
2. DL and AA are also improving their front cabin while still offering such awards; it's UA that's taking a step back.
3. DL and AA also seem to be increasing their yields while making improvements (the opposite of UA).
4. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 7, 2014 at 9:44 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by flyinbob
If nothing else they are getting an idea of how many people will NOT pay for their crappy premium product. Make first class (or business) worthwhile and maybe people will pay. But I for one refuse to pay United for their grossly inferior product. Complimentary upgrade? Sure. But pay for it? Not a chance.
100% agree. I'll suffer for 10hrs rather than give them a dime for the roulette of fair to crappy service you get from UA.

Maybe I would consider it if buy up $ went to PQD... but it doesn't so it's not anything I'd ever consider.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by roadkit
See, that's the problem, if true. You should receive the same level of service regardless of how you ended in F or C; if you are implying that FAs provide a lower level of service for upgraders, then there is a much, much, bigger problem at UA than poor management and lazy, surly, unionized FAs.
No, what we are saying is that if people are upgraded for free all the time, they won't pay for J or Intl F. When people won't pay for intl J or F, F goes away. When people don't pay for J, the service standards are cut for everyone because they aren't making money on those seats that they give away for free and offer 4 course meals.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wish I had that problem. My BF cabin is 80% full for SFO-LHR in less than 2 weeks. I've been waitlisted for over six months.

I swear to God, if this flight doesn't upgrade, UA isn't getting another dime. I'm so tired of it.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by TPJ
I have been on a single UA flight in C that was less than 40% full. Normally - if there are any available seats left - they will be grabbed by non-revs.

PS. I do not have any issue whatsoever with non-revs traveling in C - just an observation not criticism.
Last Monday night UA 932 (IAD-FRA) was < 40% full--likely because of the expected 18" of snow (that turned out to be closer to 3"). I didn't expect to make the flight, but didn't cancel. Others may have done so. Y seemed to be about 15% full. I think that a couple of folks were upgraded to C, but not enough to fill the cabin. I was in the middle of row 7, on the aisle, with two empty seats next to me. But this was the exception rather than the rule. On the way back on Sunday C was full.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demkr
Wish I had that problem. My BF cabin is 80% full for SFO-LHR in less than 2 weeks. I've been waitlisted for over six months.
Feel your pain . . . when this happens to me I just KNOW they have been skipping me on the waitlist.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr

I swear to God, if this flight doesn't upgrade, UA isn't getting another dime. I'm so tired of it.
When my GPU on a "B" fare from EWR to LHR didn't clear, that's when I threw in the towel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.