Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United Reducing Its Presence In The Southeast US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I noticed that United is going to only one RJ145 for the West Palm (PBI) to Houston (IAH) route for the summer and four (4) daily flights to Newark (EWR). These are historic lows since Continental first appeared in West Palm.

Is United accepting it defeat by American, Delta and Southwest in the Southeast US?

Will United disappear completely from cities like West Palm, or just a few seasonal flights to Newark?

And to think that United once had a Miami hub, and CO flew a 747 from Miami to London!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA used to rely on US for much of its South East capacity. With US gone, I suppose UA had two options: either substitute its own flights and build up its own capacity, or give up altogether. I suppose it's not too surprising they chose the latter.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Sucks for me as that will quickly switch me over to US/AA.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:22 am
Suspended

Isn't that good for you then?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
RJs on PBI-IAH were there before the merger and my recollection is that UA was 4x on PBI-EWR last summer too (a quick review of DOT stats confirms this to be the case).

So, no, not a 'historic' low and the sky is not falling.

Originally Posted by BF263533
And to think that United once had a Miami hub
Yes, the MIA hub, which once challenged AA's dominance and peaked at a whopping 36 daily departures!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
RJs on PBI-IAH were there before the merger and my recollection is that UA was 4x on PBI-EWR last summer too (a quick review of DOT stats shows confirms to be the case).

Seems like there has been capacity added at FLL to offset the PBI downgauges
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
UA is flying more or less the same schedule they have flown the previous 3 summers or so.

PBI traffic is much more seasonal than FLL and UA is comparatively much stronger in FLL, thus they really only care about PBI-EWR, the only PBI route they have where they can actually make any money. It's a similar story in MIA except MIA-Chicago yields are pretty high so it can support year round RJ service to Chicago.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'd been using a combination of US and DL for my travel in the Southeast. Mostly to ATL (DL) and JAN (US). After the AA/US merger and the Amex lounge fiasco, it'll be DL and connections to JAN through ATL. Connections through ATL have been an almost certain ticket for delays for me lately. I'm not happy, but there's zero incentive to keep flying US (no lounge and no useful miles).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Connections through ATL have been an almost certain ticket for delays for me lately. I'm not happy, but there's zero incentive to keep flying US (no lounge and no useful miles).
What value do you place on not having delays on every trip? I value that far more than having a lounge to sit in.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
What value do you place on not having delays on every trip? I value that far more than having a lounge to sit in.
Seriously. And it's not like DL miles are more valuable than AA miles. At least AA can be redeemed fairly easily for CX J and F.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
RJs on PBI-IAH were there before the merger and my recollection is that UA was 4x on PBI-EWR last summer too (a quick review of DOT stats confirms this to be the case).

Yes, the MIA hub, which once challenged AA's dominance and peaked at a whopping 36 daily departures!
As far as I can recall there was always at least one full size jet operated from PBI-IAH plus the RJ, A single RJ seems quite low for PBI-IAH. What was the lowest that you recall?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BF263533
As far as I can recall there was always at least one full size jet operated from PBI-IAH plus the RJ, A single RJ seems quite low for PBI-IAH. What was the lowest that you recall?
PBI capacity is about the same for 2014 as it was in 2013. Last year, UA mainline was only to EWR from June through October (including some 757s), while IAH-PBI consistently saw daily ERJ service and just one mainline flight, an A320 on June 2. This is fairly typical for Florida markets as the summer/hurricane season sees substantially reduced out-of-state tourist numbers.

No doubt UA capacity is down going back a few years, but it's certainly not a recent trend attributable to the loss of US feed in the Southeast.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
UA is about to start 2 Daily Nonstop Services from ATL to SFO..Thats Adding service in the South!^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
UA is about to start 2 Daily Nonstop Services from ATL to SFO..Thats Adding service in the South!^

I believe DL has 6+ nonstops ATL-SFO. Good luck UA with 2.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Remember UA pulled out of both FLL and PBI in the latter 2000's. I am surprised they are not adding any ORD flights, had CLE seasonal service CO was operating year round for quite some time.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Mar 4, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.