Airline Luggage Tag what do you do?

Old Mar 3, 14, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Airline Luggage Tag what do you do?

This is pointless question and hopefully it doesn't rub people the wrong way as it my first post. Last month I received Premier Silver luggage tag from United it has been sitting in my office draw since. I can't put my address on it so its kind of pointless to use and seems to fragile to put on checked bags. I was thinking of putting them on my hand luggage or replace the oversized tumi tag on my backpack. Out of curiosity do people actually use theirs?
I almost never see any with United Premier luggage tags, but I see a lot of people with Delta Medallion Gold and Diamond tags on peoples backpacks.

Also just personal opinion being the lowest member of the loyalty program do other silver member even use their tags or display them publicly? haha

sorry if this came across kind of vein.

Thanks

Last edited by 45542; Mar 3, 14 at 9:57 am
Old Mar 3, 14, 9:56 am

Programs: United 1k, *wood LT Plat
I used to agree with you and never used mind. This year, however, someone tried to take my bag at baggage claim (accidentally, it was a standard black Tumi), so I put on one of my bags just to differentiate my bag. Never had a problem with using it in checked luggage (the United one has lasted a lot longer than the SPG tag).
Old Mar 3, 14, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
The baggage tags essentially give you the permanent appearance of status (and thus access past various maroon coat people), because they have no expiration date, so one should generally hold on to at least a few from each alliance.

As for identifying your bag, a good, relatively unique purchased tag with your personal details is probably a better bet.
Old Mar 3, 14, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
The tags have some use, but as a luggage identifier to make them unique some sort of colored ribbon or marking I find to be much better and more permanent (my tied-on piece of pink christmas ribbon is still going strong a few years later-it's all I need to distinguish my black back from the other 120 that look similar to it coming off a flight).
Old Mar 3, 14, 11:25 am

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
Cable Ties!

I use my UAL-supplied luggage tags but I attach them to the bags using those brightly colored plastic cable ties. Hard to break.

Hmmm, I also use cable ties for my key chain.

Nerd alert?
Old Mar 3, 14, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bervol View Post
I use my UAL-supplied luggage tags but I attach them to the bags using those brightly colored plastic cable ties. Hard to break.

Nerd alert?
On my overnight carryon, I have a normal leather bag tag and I've looped its strap through my 1K tag. The 1K tag is thus normally hidden, but it's there if I need it.
Old Mar 3, 14, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't use any tags that hang off the bag as they just get torn off. I bought 2 velcro orange handle wraps from the samsonite store and put one on each handle of the bag. I instantly see my black Samsonite when it comes out amongst the hundreds of other black bags.
Old Mar 3, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
I use the one built in to the back of the suitcase. I also use my business phone and address. I don't need TSA (or anyone else for that matter) knowing I'm not home and having my address.
Old Mar 3, 14, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I've just got the UA yellow handle wrap. Although they got sent out to the 1K's and GS's, I'm guessing most of them don't check their bag because I've yet to see a bag that looks like my (generic black roller) with a yellow handle
Old Mar 3, 14, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I've just got the UA yellow handle wrap. Although they got sent out to the 1K's and GS's, I'm guessing most of them don't check their bag because I've yet to see a bag that looks like my (generic black roller) with a yellow handle
The yellow wrap is not really meant for checked bags. I like having mine enough not to risk putting it on a checked bag.
Old Mar 3, 14, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC

Nerd alert?
I use cable ties as well, although this year United at least gave the plastic bungee type cord vs. the one last year which was useless. I have had the actual card tear though when using the cable ties so the arrangement isn't perfect.
Old Mar 3, 14, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
The yellow wrap is not really meant for checked bags. I like having mine enough not to risk putting it on a checked bag.
I understand the purpose of the wrap. However, I sometimes carry the bag and sometimes check it and am too lazy to keep removing the wrap and then remembering to put it back on. It is on pretty securely so I'm not too concerned about it.
Old Mar 3, 14, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

Nerd alert?
No that's smart! I have lost both of my 2MM luggage tags using the provided plastic straps.
Old Mar 3, 14, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Don't see any benefit of status tags and never have used them... All I need is my bright yellow FT tag, easy to separate my bags! .

I do carry the card as an extra form of status ID/lounge if questioned, although now with online apps w/ digital cards, it may not have to be used anymore

Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
The baggage tags essentially give you the permanent appearance of status (and thus access past various maroon coat people), because they have no expiration date, so one should generally hold on to at least a few from each alliance.

As for identifying your bag, a good, relatively unique purchased tag with your personal details is probably a better bet.
Can you further explain the first paragraph? Are you saying you can "trick" security/boarding when your status is expired when your BP doesn't show UA*G? lol. How embarrassing would it be if they found out what you were doing ...
Old Mar 3, 14, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Don't see any benefit of status tags and never have used them... All I need is my bright yellow FT tag, easy to separate my bags! .

I do carry the card as an extra form of status ID/lounge if questioned, although now with online apps w/ digital cards, it may not have to be used anymore

Can you further explain the first paragraph? Are you saying you can "trick" security/boarding when your status is expired when your BP doesn't show UA*G? lol. How embarrassing would it be if they found out what you were doing ...
Well regarding security at least at Boston Logan no one ever checks. The only time they check is at the security checkpoint to make sure my ID matches my ticket name. By that time the lines have merged for all travelers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: