Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Full Y Fares Upgrade Booking Code Becomes PN + Are Now Subject to Capacity Controls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Y Fares Upgrade Booking Code Becomes PN + Are Now Subject to Capacity Controls

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club

I've suspected this for some time after doing dummy bookings but called several agents today, after booking a flight to Guam, and they confirmed that Y fares no longer book into JN class for upgrades. They know book into PN class the same as B/M-up fares.

They indicated that this changed earlier this month when the redemption levels changed. They also indicated this was widely noticed but it was NOT widely noticed. I don't recall seeing anything about it in the bigger forums or from United.

Once again, they have quietly devalued their program. Y fares are often VERY expensive so why we need to wait for a lower fare category to open up for upgrades is asinine. They want people to buy higher fares and yet there is NO benefit to doing that....absolutely ridiculous and amazing.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aren't you still ahead of other -up fares with your y-up? Only folks who book J get ahead and the probably pay more. Am I misunderstanding this?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very interesting decision. Why should UA give away last-seat F availability, for the price of Y? On the other hand, why alienate your customers that pay full Y. I suspect contract fares (including government fares) are partially responsible for this change.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Premier members traveling on full-fare economy Y and discount full-fare economy B fares are eligible for an instant upgrade at time of ticketing on select flights. Premier® 1K® members traveling on M fares are also eligible. Instant upgrades are subject to capacity controls.
They didn't used to be... sneaky change there.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
Well, I think the industry as a whole is making baby steps towards eliminating CPUs... Since U.S. carriers are primarily the ONLY airlines that offer them, they might be trying to align themselves with their alliance carriers.

As for instant upgrade fares, I would assume it has always been the policy, just not written in black and white.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by entropy
B/M instant upgrades certainty were (subject to capacity controls).

a post from March 2012 -- notice the wording change
Originally Posted by atcguy
Previously, on Continental.com, if you booked any Y fare that had seats left in F, you'd get an instant upgrade upon ticketing. I just checked today, and after the site conversion, these fares are gone. Y fares are just Y fares, with no note that it'll include an instant upgrade.

I checked the MP Upgrades section on the website, and it says this:

Instant upgrades at time of ticketing
Premier members traveling on full-fare economy Y and discount full-fare economy B fares are eligible for an instant upgrade at time of ticketing on select flights. Premier® 1K® members traveling on M fares are also eligible. Instant upgrades on B and M fares are subject to capacity controls.

Bummer, "select flights".
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
B/M instant upgrades certainty were (subject to capacity controls).

a post from March 2012 -- notice the wording change
You're right B/M were capacity controlled but not Y fares. Again, find this change hard to swallow. UA wants its passengers, because of PQDs, to buy higher fares and Y fares are generally very high. Getting the instant upgrade was a nice perk to offset the cost. You know there is something kinda disingenuous when they don't announce this wider.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mh3265a
They indicated that this changed earlier this month when the redemption levels changed. They also indicated this was widely noticed but it was NOT widely noticed. I don't recall seeing anything about it in the bigger forums or from United.
I have to imagine the conversation went something like::

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said mh3265a , "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:12 am

This was the case with Continental pre-merger. Instant upgrade fares weren't available on many transcons (SFO-EWR comes to mind.)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Are you mixing regular Y fare instant upgrade with a pure Y-UP fare ? Those are 2 things I think
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Wow this is a major loss. The only upside is that government workers on YCA fares will no longer be eligible for last-seat instant upgrades.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Wow this is a major loss. The only upside is that government workers on YCA fares will no longer be eligible for last-seat instant upgrades.
Glad you're happy. Except now you'll have to find someone ELSE to blame when your upgrade still doesn't clear.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
Are you mixing regular Y fare instant upgrade with a pure Y-UP fare ? Those are 2 things I think
Yeah, we need a clarification- are we talking about Y-UP fares where you get First for the price of a Y seat, or Premier Instant Upgrade fares, where Premiers upgrade Y-to-JN or B/M-to-PN at time of ticketing?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
While I have not flown on YCA for quite a while, at least pre-merger, the YCA were NOT eligible for upgrade just because they were Y fare (in those olden days it always required upgrade instrument). I am not sure how they were handled post merger, but my guess that the thought that government fare YCA get immediate upgrade is more a myth than truth.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Yeah, we need a clarification- are we talking about Y-UP fares where you get First for the price of a Y seat, or Premier Instant Upgrade fares, where Premiers upgrade Y-to-JN or B/M-to-PN at time of ticketing?
SORRY - it's referring to Premier Instant Upgrade fares. Y to JN is no longer available. It is now Y to PN which is capacity controlled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.