Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Obligatory: Delta to go rev based for earning miles, when will UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obligatory: Delta to go rev based for earning miles, when will UA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
my new-found life over at AS is looking better and better by the day.
tell me more please I'm considering

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think UA & AA will follow. Hoping WN starts large scale intl operations.
^ that's what I'm hoping for B6

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 26, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:48 pm

I think this is a good year to start moving to Kayak. Since everything is for sale in one form or another, why not fly on schedule and acknowledge the new reality that frequent flyer programs are going to evolve just as every other part of the air travel experience has?

Expedited security: Global Entry/Pre-check
Expedited boarding: "Elite" status, credit card or pay per flight
Baggage allowance: "Elite" status, credit card or pay per flight
E+/premium economy: "Elite" status or pay per flight
Domestic first class: "Elite" upgrades or pay per flight
Meal: To-go bag from the airport, buy on board/pre-order/sit in FC (but only during the right times of the day!)
International premium cabins: Pay by miles, instruments or per flight

The only real benefit you can't buy your way into is a better stand-by position for involuntary reroutings.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by villox
I really don't see how. The IRS would have to value what the miles are WORTH, not how much they cost to acquire. 100,000 miles to a silver is worth exactly the same as 100,000 to a gold, even if it cost the silver a lot more to acquire in the first place.

If your theory were correct the IRS could already be taxing the miles based on what the airlines are actually selling them for on say, points.com.
Remember, when you are buying miles, you receive nothing of value in addition to the miles. When you fly to earn, it is presumed that the majority of the value is in the actual flight itself, so the awarded miles could only be considered a rebate on your cost.

So, no, the IRS couldn't reasonably use the value people pay on points.com to tax you on. They would have to use the more predictable value of a rebate model.

This change, if adopted by all of the majors, is something that they haven't seen before and could easily bring new attention.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 26, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlivengo
My average spend is 2-3K per ticket for International Y. Enough to make 1K, probably 15-17K spend each year on UA. BIS is usually about 125K. Sounds like this policy would actually benefit people like me.

Not saying I hope UA would do this, the erosion of benefits will continue.
how do you figure? you currently earn 250k RDM on your 17k spend. now you'll earn less than 200k RDM. it hurts you and you're not a cheap traveler!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:58 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
This will backfire.... Eventually...

First, yes, Smisek will follow... Eventually... The constraint will be to change their ancient (ex-CO) IT systems...
The only reason I, as an SFO captive, chose UA over VX for domestic and over LH/TG/SQ for international was their program. With this, only domestic short-haul, last minute, high-priced tickets make sense.
So why bother flying a crappy carrier with now a crappy program?
I'll just buy the best flight for the money, use a good award card like Chase Sapphire or Barclays Arrival - and forget about the "loyalty" programs,
And any corporate travel manager worth their pay will clamp down on last-minute purchases REALLY hard now, if they didn't already...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I spend $12-15k/year. I have no illusions about being a HVF. I am not.

The problem is, I am a mongrel sub-HVF flyer that can loyally fill a seat that HVFs don't buy. The airlines, in their rush to capture HVFs, need to remember that they have a lot more seats than HVF gods to fill them. The gods may pay the bills, but the profit margins might be in people like me - people who would like to stick with one airline, paying incrementally more (not a LOT more), than Kayakers.
That's it in a nutshell. Sure, the super HVFers will like this, but do the airlines really have enough of them to alienate the middle tier? They are going to have to compete like crazy on price if people no longer have any reason for loyalty because of this.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Second, the folks flying on $15k J fares will not need the miles for anything. If you work in corporate America in a job that pays for tix like that, RDMs are the last of our worries.

Third, DL is maxing out at 75k RDMs per ticket.
I'm not sure what market/industry you're in, but in Houston with the energy biz there's plenty of staff spending more on airfare than they make in salary. RDM are not the last of their worries.

The 75k max is easy to circumvent buying multiple one way tickets if you're looking at tickets that expensive.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:53 pm

Revenue might be better for me if they allow *A partner flights to count... considering with PQD I have only $108 right now because I refuse to be served dog food on a UA transpacific flight. Like just today I was playing around with NH vs UA tickets, and I'd much rather stop in Tokyo than to be stuffed on one of the old UA 744s.

With that said I need to be looking heavily at the UA Chase CC this year to keep *A Gold.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Remember, when you are buying miles, you receive nothing of value in addition to the miles. When you fly to earn, it is presumed that the majority of the value is in the actual flight itself, so the awarded miles could only be considered a rebate on your cost.

So, no, the IRS couldn't reasonably use the value people pay on points.com to tax you on. They would have to use the more predictable value of a rebate model.

This change, if adopted by all of the majors, is something that they haven't seen before and could easily bring new attention.
So what, you think the IRS is going to come up with some formula, that varies for every single airline program in the world btw, that also takes account for who paid for each ticket (cause surely if I paid for the ticket I won't be taxed on this "rebate") and then start asking us to fill out income tax forms for them?

I think not.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm not sure what market/industry you're in, but in Houston with the energy biz there's plenty of staff spending more on airfare than they make in salary. RDM are not the last of their worries.

The 75k max is easy to circumvent buying multiple one way tickets if you're looking at tickets that expensive.
Plenty of money in the oil biz right now!

My nephew works in the Bakken. He got out of the Army as an E-4 (with no oil field experience). He now makes 150k per year after 4 years there and his company spent around 75k flying him around the US last year, usually at the last minute.

I will say though, that he hasn't had any chance to go on vacation in the last 2 years because they are just too busy. So, in his case, RDM have proven useless to him up to this point.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lewende
Not true. Last year I put >$15K on my expense reports to fly J fares to Asia, but I need every mile to fly my family to the next vacation destination.
Originally Posted by mduell

I work in Finance. I have friends who work at Apple, IBM, Citi etc and in most of those companies, if you travel on those kinds of fares, you are a really BIG hitter. And I really mean big. There will always be one industry where the going is so good that expenses don't matter, but that won't last forever either. Even at Citi, the most senior managers now have to fly Y for flights of 3 hours or less. One of my friends who works for IBM flew to USA-SIN in the back of the bus as a senior sales manager of a really large product category. What you speak of may be common in Houston, but not all that common on average.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:16 pm

so I'm pretty confused on what delta is doing here between redeemable miles and status qualification. They are going to print a bunch of miles for high rev fliers (whether short or long haul), but this doesn't fix the benefits for the short haul flier because they don't get status any quicker under this plan

why wouldn't they allow status for spend without as much of a BIS requirement?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I work in Finance. I have friends who work at Apple, IBM, Citi etc and in most of those companies, if you travel on those kinds of fares, you are a really BIG hitter. And I really mean big. There will always be one industry where the going is so good that expenses don't matter, but that won't last forever either. Even at Citi, the most senior managers now have to fly Y for flights of 3 hours or less. One of my friends who works for IBM flew to USA-SIN in the back of the bus as a senior sales manager of a really large product category. What you speak of may be common in Houston, but not all that common on average.
You are focussing on big biz, which treats everyone outside the C suite crappy.

The vast majority of jobs are in SMBE which compete for talent, very successfully, with quality of life things like travel policies.

I'm not trying to turn is into a career board discussion but don't think the big guys set the market standard.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Plenty of money in the oil biz right now!

My nephew works in the Bakken. He got out of the Army as an E-4 (with no oil field experience). He now makes 150k per year after 4 years there and his company spent around 75k flying him around the US last year, usually at the last minute.
The most out of whack I know of is a $40k/yr project coordinator who spends about $60k/yr on airfare IAH-SIN.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Indeed - paid premium cabin travel is far more rare these days. Over the years I've informally observed who is in the F cabin with me in seats not appearing as "cleared" on the upgrade list, and thus either there on a paid fare or with a mileage ticket. The majority are mileage tickets (usually picked out by vacation attire or baggage, ie boxes of rum, coconuts, shopping bags, etc) or small business owners, doctors and attorneys - usually identified by their luggage ID tag or whatever they're working on with their laptop.

I can't recall the last time I noticed a corporate type up front without their name on the upgrade cleared list.

My consulting group has a strict policy on lowest fare, always booked through the online booking engine. No one flies up front overseas without Sr Director or VP approval PLUS customer approval (since the customer will end up paying for the ticket).

The road warriors will suffer the most, and these are the people that won't push back on DL or UA or AA as much as their own employers - the tide will turn where consulting companies and other frequent travel businesses will recruit young grads to do most of the travel understanding they will lose these people as the travel-without-reward cycle wears thin and it will be harder to retain experienced people.

Within this community, please raise your hand if you're a frequent traveler as part of your job and you would gladly continue work travel if your RDM earnings were slashed by 50-70% and your options for redeeming free tickets for vacations and other benefits like upgrades were significantly reduced - in essence you spent all this time traveling, including weekends and evenings, your personal time, and receive no benefit for doing so. Would you continue traveling as-is, attempt to reduce travel at your current position, or begin looking for a new position with little to no mandatory travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.