Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Lounge in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Which Lounge in Chicago?

We"re flying business class (first time!) to Dublin from Seattle on United/AirLingus. Unfortunately, we have a 6 hour layover in Chicago. My understanding is that business class allows us to use the United family of lounges. Which one would you suggest in Chicago?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Herrington
We"re flying business class (first time!) to Dublin from Seattle on United/AirLingus. Unfortunately, we have a 6 hour layover in Chicago. My understanding is that business class allows us to use the United family of lounges. Which one would you suggest in Chicago?
The one in T-2 is the newest & nicest (between concourses E & F), the one in T-1 near C-18 is also pretty good but get crowded during the afternoon and evening international departures banks.

Keep in mind, however, that EI departs form Terminal 5 which is not physically connected to any of the UA terminals (1 & 2). You have to take a train over to T-5 and reclear security. Within T-5 I believe EI has a contract with Air France to use their lounge. I think, with 6 hours, you could hang out in one or more of the UA lounges in T1 or 2 then head over to T-5.

None of the lounges compare to Chicago itself! You can easily take the 45 minute Blue Line ride into the loop, grab some food & cocktails and head back to ORD within 6 hrs.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed the Air France Lounge:

Passengers traveling in Aer Lingus Business Class or Gold Circle Club members are eligible to use the Air France Lounge beside Gate M7 in Terminal 5.

If you want to think about leaving the airport, you'll find tons of advise on the Chicago board under "Destinations" (of the FT Top bar).
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kenn0223
None of the lounges compare to Chicago itself! You can easily take the 45 minute Blue Line ride into the loop, grab some food & cocktails and head back to ORD within 6 hrs.
Indeed! There are lots of great options near to nearish the Clark & Lake Blue Line stop.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Agreed, the new United Club in T2 is the nicest.

The club near B18 is second nicest. The other two are just so-so.

Be aware that the CTA raised the outbound fare on the Blue Line to $5.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Previous (and in some instances dated) discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...+%26quot%3BORD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...+%26quot%3BORD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...+%26quot%3BORD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...+%26quot%3BORD
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't he be declined to enter the United Club with the Aer Lingus ticket? I thought that Star Alliance Business or higher, membership to the Club, Star Gold or day pass to the Club are the only ones who will be accepted in the Club?

I know it would be a short stop in Chicago but add me to the list who suggests checking out Chicago for 2 hours or so.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by JacobVB27
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't he be declined to enter the United Club with the Aer Lingus ticket? I thought that Star Alliance Business or higher, membership to the Club, Star Gold or day pass to the Club are the only ones who will be accepted in the Club?

I know it would be a short stop in Chicago but add me to the list who suggests checking out Chicago for 2 hours or so.
According to AerLingus
Aer Lingus Business Class customers traveling to / from the US and beyond via Chicago on Aer Lingus codeshare flights operated by our partner United Airlines can now enjoy a seamless travel experience with access to United Airlines airport lounges.
Business class passengers connecting to / from United Airlines flights now have access to United Club lounges at airports including Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Minneapolis.
To access the United Airlines lounge simply present your Aer Lingus Business Class boarding pass and your United Airlines boarding pass at the lounge.

So it appears he does have access to UC lounges.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wizzardofoz

The ticket should be 016 stock and show UA.

Originally Posted by JacobVB27
According to AerLingus
Aer Lingus Business Class customers traveling to / from the US and beyond via Chicago on Aer Lingus codeshare flights operated by our partner United Airlines can now enjoy a seamless travel experience with access to United Airlines airport lounges.
Business class passengers connecting to / from United Airlines flights now have access to United Club lounges at airports including Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Minneapolis.
To access the United Airlines lounge simply present your Aer Lingus Business Class boarding pass and your United Airlines boarding pass at the lounge.

So it appears he does have access to UC lounges.
But OP is on a UA codeshare flight operated by EI.

In any case, they should be able to access a UA lounge in T1 or T2 and the AF lounge in T5.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cranky1K
The ticket should be 016 stock and show UA.
But OP is on a UA codeshare flight operated by EI.

In any case, they should be able to access a UA lounge in T1 or T2 and the AF lounge in T5.
Strictly speaking, it is the flight operator that matters, not codeshare or marketer. The UC agents might overlook the non UA operated flight but the access rules state
Boarding pass for international travel in United Global First, United BusinessFirst, United First or United Business
and that means UA metal only (for non-UA/non-*G traveler)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.