Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPPlat, UA 1K, 9W Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Hi FT'ers, just FYI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30794196.cms

NEW DELHI: A Boeing 777 aircraft of American carrier United Airlines was grounded at Mumbai airport on Thursday night after engineers found that its right engine cover was badly damaged, official sources said on Friday.

The aircraft, operating flight UA-48 from Newark to Mumbai, arrived around 10pm on Thursday and the engineers found the right-side engine cowl badly damaged, the sources said.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 21, 2014 at 10:42 am Reason: Copyright protection
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: United Gold
If I'm reading this right, the plane flew all the way from EWR to BOM with the damaged cowl?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I've done that flight a few times. A whole lot of nothing and Afghanistan for the second half of the flight, not where I want to have to divert......
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
If I'm reading this right, the plane flew all the way from EWR to BOM with the damaged cowl?
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
That's a rather absurd allegation with abslutely NO evidence whatsoever to support it. I suggest we wait to see what is reported before jumping to conclusions.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It wouldn't surprise me either if US aircraft received extra scrutiny in BOM...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
49 was also cancelled on 2/16 for unclear reasons. Looks like it flew the next day as an extra flight. Anyone know why?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:06 am

Deferred maintenance doesn't save money, it just defers the timing of expenses.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't give statement by the DGCA much credibility.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UAL may be skimping on everything related to the passenger experience, but I have seen absolutely no indication that the maintenance budget is being unnecessarily curtailed. To the contrary, there has been substantial investment in fleet maintenance since the merger.

Sometimes things happen to airplanes that cause them to be taken out of service, and sometimes, the extent of damage or otherwise is not known until the aircraft is safely on the ground. I can assure you that no pilot worth his salt would ever embark on a long ETOPS haul with the knowledge that there was some irregularity with an engine at such an early phase of flight. The engines are probably the most sacrosanct aircraft system in ETOPS flying. Pilots will not take chances with that.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Damaged cowl.....conspiracy theory.

It's better to ignore posts like this than copy and respond.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by EWR764
UAL may be skimping on everything related to the passenger experience, but I have seen absolutely no indication that the maintenance budget is being unnecessarily curtailed. To the contrary, there has been substantial investment in fleet maintenance since the merger.

Sometimes things happen to airplanes that cause them to be taken out of service, and sometimes, the extent of damage or otherwise is not known until the aircraft is safely on the ground. I can assure you that no pilot worth his salt would ever embark on a long ETOPS haul with the knowledge that there was some irregularity with an engine at such an early phase of flight. The engines are probably the most sacrosanct aircraft system in ETOPS flying. Pilots will not take chances with that.
My comments are based on my recent experiences with on board customer facing hardware which was not being repaired in a timely manner. I have no indication that safety may be impacted but it does beg the question FOR ME of what impact the ongoing billions in cuts may eventually have elsewhere.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
I was on this flight. I realize they had no choice to cancel the flight but United handled it horribly. It took them hours to figure out how to get everyone out of the airport so I am still in Mumbai. They had to take us back through customs to "cancel" our exit from India. It took them a couple of hours to figure out how to get us out of the departure side so we missed all alternative connecting flights to Europe. Hopefully I will get out tonight on Air France through Paris. United originally re-booked me on a return flight next Tuesday getting me home Wednesday and could not understand why this was not a valid option! I had to call United to get better options. The whole thing has been one disaster after another. It's too bad because the new BOM terminal is much nicer.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Question

My comments are based on my recent experiences with on board customer facing hardware which was not being repaired in a timely manner. I have no indication that safety may be impacted but it does beg the question FOR ME of what impact the ongoing billions in cuts may eventually have elsewhere.
That's a completely ridiculous comparison.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by frequentjohn
I was on this flight. I realize they had no choice to cancel the flight but United handled it horribly.
Sadly, this is the least surprising post in this thread. Irrops seem to be increasingly challenging for this airline.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
One of the ground staff said it was a foreign object strike, most likely a bird strike on take off. They said the damage was significant and noticed when the plane arrived. It had nothing to do with deferred maintenance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.