Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777

United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777

Old Feb 21, 14, 7:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: RDU
Programs: AA EXPPlat, UA 1K, 9W Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 185
United 48 BOM-EWR grounded in BOM because of "badly damaged" engine cover on 777

Hi FT'ers, just FYI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30794196.cms

NEW DELHI: A Boeing 777 aircraft of American carrier United Airlines was grounded at Mumbai airport on Thursday night after engineers found that its right engine cover was badly damaged, official sources said on Friday.

The aircraft, operating flight UA-48 from Newark to Mumbai, arrived around 10pm on Thursday and the engineers found the right-side engine cowl badly damaged, the sources said.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 21, 14 at 11:42 am Reason: Copyright protection
fabricoftruth is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HNL
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 1,574
If I'm reading this right, the plane flew all the way from EWR to BOM with the damaged cowl?
love_to_travel is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CO
Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,238
I've done that flight a few times. A whole lot of nothing and Afghanistan for the second half of the flight, not where I want to have to divert......
PushingTin is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
If I'm reading this right, the plane flew all the way from EWR to BOM with the damaged cowl?
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
FLYDCA is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:33 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 30,529
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
That's a rather absurd allegation with abslutely NO evidence whatsoever to support it. I suggest we wait to see what is reported before jumping to conclusions.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:43 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,334
It wouldn't surprise me either if US aircraft received extra scrutiny in BOM...
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 4MM
Posts: 580
49 was also cancelled on 2/16 for unclear reasons. Looks like it flew the next day as an extra flight. Anyone know why?
JDT1955 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,147
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
Deferred maintenance doesn't save money, it just defers the timing of expenses.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't give statement by the DGCA much credibility.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,775
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
UAL may be skimping on everything related to the passenger experience, but I have seen absolutely no indication that the maintenance budget is being unnecessarily curtailed. To the contrary, there has been substantial investment in fleet maintenance since the merger.

Sometimes things happen to airplanes that cause them to be taken out of service, and sometimes, the extent of damage or otherwise is not known until the aircraft is safely on the ground. I can assure you that no pilot worth his salt would ever embark on a long ETOPS haul with the knowledge that there was some irregularity with an engine at such an early phase of flight. The engines are probably the most sacrosanct aircraft system in ETOPS flying. Pilots will not take chances with that.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 9:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AA DULtArer
Posts: 5,525
Damaged cowl.....conspiracy theory.

It's better to ignore posts like this than copy and respond.
LaserSailor is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 9:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
UAL may be skimping on everything related to the passenger experience, but I have seen absolutely no indication that the maintenance budget is being unnecessarily curtailed. To the contrary, there has been substantial investment in fleet maintenance since the merger.

Sometimes things happen to airplanes that cause them to be taken out of service, and sometimes, the extent of damage or otherwise is not known until the aircraft is safely on the ground. I can assure you that no pilot worth his salt would ever embark on a long ETOPS haul with the knowledge that there was some irregularity with an engine at such an early phase of flight. The engines are probably the most sacrosanct aircraft system in ETOPS flying. Pilots will not take chances with that.
My comments are based on my recent experiences with on board customer facing hardware which was not being repaired in a timely manner. I have no indication that safety may be impacted but it does beg the question FOR ME of what impact the ongoing billions in cuts may eventually have elsewhere.
FLYDCA is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 9:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Posts: 129
I was on this flight. I realize they had no choice to cancel the flight but United handled it horribly. It took them hours to figure out how to get everyone out of the airport so I am still in Mumbai. They had to take us back through customs to "cancel" our exit from India. It took them a couple of hours to figure out how to get us out of the departure side so we missed all alternative connecting flights to Europe. Hopefully I will get out tonight on Air France through Paris. United originally re-booked me on a return flight next Tuesday getting me home Wednesday and could not understand why this was not a valid option! I had to call United to get better options. The whole thing has been one disaster after another. It's too bad because the new BOM terminal is much nicer.
frequentjohn is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 8,634
Question

Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
My comments are based on my recent experiences with on board customer facing hardware which was not being repaired in a timely manner. I have no indication that safety may be impacted but it does beg the question FOR ME of what impact the ongoing billions in cuts may eventually have elsewhere.
That's a completely ridiculous comparison.
mgcsinc is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PDX
Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 3,721
Originally Posted by frequentjohn View Post
I was on this flight. I realize they had no choice to cancel the flight but United handled it horribly.
Sadly, this is the least surprising post in this thread. Irrops seem to be increasingly challenging for this airline.
noah is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:32 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
It would not surprise me at all if this was deferred maintenance. With billions of dollars in cuts occurring some concerning choices may be coming to light.
One of the ground staff said it was a foreign object strike, most likely a bird strike on take off. They said the damage was significant and noticed when the plane arrived. It had nothing to do with deferred maintenance.
frequentjohn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: