Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate, Consolidated "Warm Nuts on UA" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate, Consolidated "Warm Nuts on UA" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
The extra ounce requires more fuel . So glad I moved to AA from UA.
Plus the cost of the extra nuts, they aren't free.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:41 pm

IMO... How petty: petty not to give out the nuts -- petty too about complaining about not getting them.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:42 pm

C'mon, how often does someone want a second helping? Seems wasteful to carry extra food that 99% of the time will not be eaten.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
IMO... How petty: petty not to give out the nuts -- petty too about complaining about not getting them.
I think the OP is most peeved about the rudeness.

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
C'mon, how often does someone want a second helping? Seems wasteful to carry extra food that 99% of the time will not be eaten.
And that justifies the FA's rude response... how exactly?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You are over entitled- no more. You are entitled to one little scoop of nuts!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
And did you really feel like you were going to get thrown in a human oven? Nazi is a bit over dramatic considering it was just nuts and you got a rude response.
It's just a Seinfeld reference.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by Baze
And did you really feel like you were going to get thrown in a human oven? Nazi is a bit over dramatic considering it was just nuts and you got a rude response.
I think you might be misunderstanding the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi

Overall, I think it's a little desperate that they're that low on nuts, but whatever. The bigger issue is being rude. If I worked for an airline that couldn't spring for a couple extra servings of nuts, I'd be somewhere between apologetic and embarrassed.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
You upgraded, didn't you?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Geez, even if she needed an excuse for being too lazy to bring more, couldn't she just have said that they were out?

Funny thing is on AA (domestically no less), I often have to proactively refuse my second helping of nuts when I don't feel like having another - they often don't ask, they just refill it.

Airline passengers - especially those forking out $$$ for premium cabins - want to feel taken care of and don't want to feel nickel+dimed. Being rudely told that two servings of mixed nuts is over-entitled is exactly the opposite of that.

But we know what to expect from a business that feels the need to cut costs by serving split cashews.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: *
And what if the tray with two ramekins of nuts fell down. Would you accept being told - 'no nuts for you today, we ran out'?

People pay few thousand dollars for a BF seat - quibbling over nuts with likely a net value no more than a dollar or two seems rather petty to me. And yes they should carry a bit extra - I suspect they probably do, but if the FA gives you a second helping, what will they be munching on when they draw those curtains?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by relangford
The extra ounce requires more fuel . So glad I moved to AA from UA.
Unacceptable..but not surprising...I, too, moved to AA!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Nothing to do with allergies ...

All I did was to ask (ever so politely) for a second serving of nuts on a recent AMS-ORD flight -- in business, if I may add. In reply, I got "you are only entitled to one serving" delivered in a very condescending manner + eye roll.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

The soup Nazi would've been thrilled
Love the Seinfeld reference. United is in a bad spot right now. Hope they can work themselves out of this. Truly.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
i just bring a giant bag of nuts myself on board and ask them to warm them up...it works everytime
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rej22222
It's just a Seinfeld reference.
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley

Overall, I think it's a little desperate that they're that low on nuts, but whatever. The bigger issue is being rude. If I worked for an airline that couldn't spring for a couple extra servings of nuts, I'd be somewhere between apologetic and embarrassed.
And I have always thought that reference was inappropriate. And I'm not even Jewish. I have always thought making joking references to such a horrible part of history was just wrong. Go ahead and tell me to lighten up, it's just a joke. But I can assure you that to a lot of people it is far from a joke.

Last edited by Baze; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm Reason: Grammar correction.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley

And beyond that the word is used in common language having nothing to do with pre-WW2 Germany...Nazi

While this is a touchy subject due to the great wrong done to those of Jewish descent in Europe, people do need to loosen up about it when it is used in the context stated in the link. FA's included...

And I often ask for a second serving of nuts. I am obliged about 90% of the time. Most FA's are not that uncompromisingly strict, or terribly rude.

Last edited by azzurro; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.