Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier line says systems are down [Update noon CT: UA says system back up] 18-Feb-14

Premier line says systems are down [Update noon CT: UA says system back up] 18-Feb-14

Old Feb 18, 14, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Jeff just did that, he also said until they can locate enough key punch machines they will do everything by hand
god I needed a laugh on this Tuesday that everyone thinks is Monday by trying to jam in two days of work!
Old Feb 18, 14, 1:19 pm
RNE

If it were simply a network error, I wouldn't bother mentioning this, but since it's ENIAC blowing a vacuum tube that's a different story. To wit, sometimes when computer systems are operating erratically, mistakes in the customer's favor can happen. Not that I'm suggesting anyone look for an opportunity to take advantage of good o'l United, mind you.

RNE, just saying.
Old Feb 18, 14, 1:46 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Gold (almost LT Plat), Hilton LT ♢, National Exec,
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
I can think of at least 1 IT "meltdown" at every major US carrier in the last year. I think Sabre has had more than 1.
So...This makes it okay?

I never have been a big supporter of the "everyone else does it" defense, not just of airlines (which UA is doing in a BIG way these days) but of all business and people in general. My dearly departed mom used to say something about a bridge and jumping off it. If DL is rude to passengers and AA constantly cancels flights, there's no reason that UA has to follow suit...I think the same applies to computer systems, especially since I'm now sweating my flight later, as I'm taking a delay. My 45-minute layover at ORD this afternoon will now be a 20-minute one. Otherwise, I'm bunking up at the ORD Hilton, with no guarantee that I'm making my trade show.
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
+1. it's unacceptable. UA IT is the joke of the industry.
Sorry, I strongly disagree with you. UA IT is NOT the joke of JUST the airline industry, it is a joke of a much, much broader scope than the airlines.
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone, please see an update here. This morning we experienced intermittent issues with our passenger service computer system, causing some flight delays. With the system now restored, we are working to get our customers to their destinations as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

-UA Insider
Should there be a URL or other reference that I am missing here?
Old Feb 18, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
DL IT is mostly a problem when it comes to the "broken" award calendar. I've never experienced a serious outage on DL, though I have on both AA and UA.

It would seem to me that fixing/nixing SHARES should be a priority--these outages have a really high cost.
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Note to Jeff:

Some from Chicago/Houston should have lost the job(s) already.

Is this the 3rd or 4th problem in the last 12 months?
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Jeff just did that, he also said until they can locate enough key punch machines they will do everything by hand
Originally Posted by boss315 View Post
god I needed a laugh on this Tuesday that everyone thinks is Monday by trying to jam in two days of work!
I figured that someone found a whole bunch of those old "peel the seat off the card and stick it on the boarding pass" templates in the warehouse, and decided to save a few bucks by turning off IT until they were used up.
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt World of Confusion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Sabre Did NOT Crash Last Year

American Airlines has admitted it was their overlay to Sabre that crashed. Sabre never crashed. http://www.cringely.com/2013/04/29/h...-its-computer/
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
Sorry, I strongly disagree with you. UA IT is NOT the joke of JUST the airline industry, it is a joke of a much, much broader scope than the airlines.
touche. ^

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Note to Jeff:

Some from Chicago/Houston should have lost the job(s) already.

Is this the 3rd or 4th problem in the last 12 months?
That someone is Smi/J and we all know he's not out to fire himself. After all, he's doing a spectacular job!
Old Feb 18, 14, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
If it were simply a network error, I wouldn't bother mentioning this, but since it's ENIAC blowing a vacuum tube that's a different story. To wit, sometimes when computer systems are operating erratically, mistakes in the customer's favor can happen. Not that I'm suggesting anyone look for an opportunity to take advantage of good o'l United, mind you.

RNE, just saying.
what a prescient post. Not aware of any system problem, I was searching .bomb int'l tickets after I had just purchased some other tix. Sometimes, I'll compare prices in C and F almost always buying in Y since I don't think UA's product has the value.

Well, at first, I found F tix usually in the range of C and then I found C just a little above full Y. I had no idea there was an outage. What I do know is that the Mrs. is going to be happy and that more than 2B in cuts will be needed after this. Ironically, my thought when finding the tix was that UA must have had such poor bookings this Qtr that UA was offering deep discounts to elicit more purchases. I guess it is working...
Old Feb 18, 14, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
I mainly read the DL and WN boards here on FT and it's common to see similar comments for each of those airlines here on FT ... maybe airlines' IT systems are more complicated than they get credit for here on FT ...
No, UA's IT department is messed up. My future brother in law had been working in UA's IT department for years. When the merger was announced, they were told that Shares was going to be used and no new reservation system was going to be created. UA would not listen to him or others when they said that Shares, even an updated Shares, will not be able to handle the future needs. UA would not bulge on this and many of the seasoned IT personnel left UA. Every time Shares crashes, he just giggles now.

On the positive note, my future brother in law now works for Allstate and has flown to/from the pacific coast in the corporate Gulfstream! Safe Travels to All!
Old Feb 18, 14, 4:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Computer problems 18 Feb 2014

Joe Brancatelli reported earlier some flights are checking in manually, and there are numerous delays today.

"We are experiencing issues with our passenger service computer system. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible and apologize to our customers for any inconvenience." - UA

This morning, FlightStats.com reported that United is running 57 percent on-time for departures. At the moment BOS, DEN, LAX and ORD are experiencing below 40% on time rates. Link to FlightStats' tracking of United: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...airlineCode=UA

Departures at this moment are 54% on time, Arrivals 60% on time.

Just a friendly heads-up in case anyone is experiencing any problems.
Old Feb 18, 14, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
For the past few days I've been trying to use miles to reserve a car and the website won't allow me to.
Old Feb 18, 14, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Joe Brancatelli reported earlier some flights are checking in manually, and there are numerous delays today.

[I]Departures at this moment are 54% on time, Arrivals 60% on time.

Just a friendly heads-up in case anyone is experiencing any problems.
Seems like just another normal day lately

Search this Thread
Search Engine: