Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice on AEP-EZE Connection? Booked times for transfer too short!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

First time poster here. Please be gentle :-) This is somewhat complex.

I booked a flight with UA to San Juan, Argentina in July: OGG-SFO-IAH-EZE/AEP-UAQ. The Argentine segment is with Aerolines Argentinas and requires ground transfer between EZE and AEP. I'm a 1K member.

The problem is the outbound flight. UA gave only 2 hrs for the AEP-EZE transfer, which is impossible to make. I searched around and people were suggesting at least 4 hrs! I wasn't aware of the problem when I booked the ticket. There was no other options anyways.

I called UA today asking to move the UAQ-AEP flight (with Aerolines Argentinas) 1 day earlier. The agent was very friendly, but couldn't make the change because the price difference was $1.5K(!) She suggested contacting UA for same day change on the day of departure. However there will be no flight out from EZE to US on the same day.

I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by xudongsun; Apr 1, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, xudongsun

Appears the Minimum Connect Time (MCT) for UA -> AR / AEP is listed as 2:15. Check to see if your connection is at least that. If below, then UA must change it or provide a refund.

SDC is a no go here.

There are threads on EZE-AEP connections in the FT Argentina forum

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you WineCountryUA. The current connection time is actually 2:10!

Should I contact UA again about that?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can you book the flights today (at any fare)? If below the MCT the should not be possible.

Then call UA and ask what their systems are showing for MCT.

If below MCT, UA should be willing to make a "free change", but what UA is using for MCT is crucial

MCT Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at EZE
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline AR
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-AR ID 2.15
UA-** ID 1.30

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 9:59 pm Reason: EF data
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xudongsun
I booked a flight with UA to San Juan, Argentina in July: OGG-SFO-IAH-EZE/AEP-UAQ. The Argentine segment is with Aerolines Argentinas and requires ground transfer between EZE and AEP.

The problem is the outbound flight. UA gave only 2 hrs for the AEP-EZE transfer, which is impossible to make.

I called UA today asking to move the UAQ-AEP flight (with Aerolines Argentinas) 1 day earlier. The agent was very friendly, but couldn't make the change because the price difference was $1.5K(!)
I am confused. Is this round trip and the return is 2 hours connection?

Seems you’d either want to move AEP-UAQ one day later, or move UAQ-AEP one day earlier...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

You are right. I just looked and the original ticket had a 4 hr connection.

The schedule changed a few times with Aerolines Argentinas. I can no longer book the original itinerary now.

Guess I'll call UA again tomorrow.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
First time poster here. Please be gentle :-) This is somewhat complex.

I booked a flight with UA to San Juan, Argentina in July: OGG-SFO-IAH-EZE/AEP-UAQ. The Argentine segment is with Aerolines Argentinas and requires ground transfer between EZE and AEP. I'm a 1K member.
I'm somewhat confused. You booked an inter-airport transfer from UA IAH-EZE to AR AEP-UAQ, all on one ticket? From UA?

The minimum legal connect here is actually 4h00 (you need the BUE MCT tables):

Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .20  1.00  1.00  1.00
OFFLINE   .20  1.00  1.00  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-** ID  2.30 INTER AEP - EZE 
**-AR ID  4.00 INTER EZE - AEP 
**-** ID  2.30 INTER EZE - AEP

If this is the case you should be able to get United to fix the ticket, but I suspect there must be something going on here to have gotten to this situation in the first place.

ed. to add ~ ah, I see. Just note MCT is in fact 4 hours.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
AEP-EZE MCT is 4 hours and you're going to want every minute of that. Call UA to restore the MCT.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you all! I'll call tomorrow and report back :-)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by findark
....The minimum legal connect here is actually 4h00 (you need the BUE MCT tables): ....
Yeap, should have used BUE, not EZE.
But either way there is a MCTproblem and OP needs to work with UA to fix this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
You learn something new every day. I’d have never thought of checking the city code (BUE) vs AEP or BUE... never really had a tight crosstown connection issue (despite doing LGW/LHRs, NRT/HNDs, and JFK/LGAs over the years) but I’m something of a self-professed expert at these sorts of things and wouldn’t have thought of this. Good tip!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Just to note, in no traffic the taxi trip between AEP and EZE can take as little as 40 minutes. But in normal traffic it is more than an hour. And during rush hours it can easily be 2 hours.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by seenitall
Just to note, in no traffic the taxi trip between AEP and EZE can take as little as 40 minutes. But in normal traffic it is more than an hour. And during rush hours it can easily be 2 hours.
Also worth noting that AR has horrendous on-time performance and EZE lines can be very long.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Called today. The agent was asking me to contact Aerolines Argentinas since they changed their schedule. I insisted it was UA's responsibility to accommodate this. She asked around and eventually rebooked me on a UA flight the second day. There goes 40 min of my life lol
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called today. The agent was asking me to contact Aerolines Argentinas since they changed their schedule
For future reference, that's a strong HUCA (hang up and call again) signal. It suggests that the agent is either incompetent, disinterested, or both.

I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of, though. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.