Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does it feel like when... you see the blue of new UA uniforms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM

..your eyes meet the certain shade of blue chosen as United's uniform? What emotion comes up for you? (I know its subjective... and I'm certainly not the first person my friends ask for fashion advice.. but the color of the uniform evokes something uncomfortable for me when I see them. Maybe there is something unnatural about the shade of blue.) Just not sure why they feel so off-putting.

And, is there a reason they so closely resemble TSA-blue uniforms? Did United source the same uniform designer as TSA?

(While I remember some hubbub long ago about the designer Cynthia Rowley parting ways with United before the completion of the redesign.. did it ever come out that the color had something to do with her and United falling apart?.. just curious)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cyber1k
(While I remember some hubbub long ago about the designer Cynthia Rowley parting ways with United before the completion of the redesign.. did it ever come out that the color had something to do with her and United falling apart?.. just curious)
I thought it was because United would only buy the cheapest material they could find.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
its kind of that artificial color you see in toilet bowls with the cleaners that flow into them. I have always assumed that was what they were aiming for... :cool
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cyber1k
What emotion comes up for you?
The emotion of "ugh", which pretty much matches the state of UA nowadays. To me those uniforms do not exude professionalism. They look like a bad 1960s nightmare. Smurf blue!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Based on the current airlines I take (CX, DL, BR, UA), I think UA is actually the more acceptable one. DL is probably the worst, that red is just so unnecessarily "loud".
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
When I see that color, I think "boring." Boring color, boring uniform (except for the dress for female FAs).
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I think, "Ah, a United flight attendant. I bet they have the training to get my ... off a plane in an emergency. Glad they are here."
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The 1960's uniforms look the best for "safety".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...#slide=1414855
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I think, "Ah, a United flight attendant. I bet they have the training to get my ... off a plane in an emergency. Glad they are here."
I like the colour fit form...the red DLs are a bit trashier... The reader can decide if that's a plus or minus.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Starfleet science officer.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
KLM Royal Blue --- with a dash of Orange

Now this is stylish Royal Blue. With a dash of Orange

Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Reminds me of the Everclear and Hi-C punch I used to drink in high school. Some good and bad memories. And of course the tidy bowl color in the toilet I saw when I drank too much.

That's why I only wear the pin stripe shirt.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by fastair
Reminds me of the Everclear and Hi-C punch I used to drink in high school. Some good and bad memories. And of course the tidy bowl color in the toilet I saw when I drank too much.

That's why I only wear the pin stripe shirt.
^ - "used to drink" Everclear and Hi-C is how I get though the day.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Based on the current airlines I take (CX, DL, BR, UA), I think UA is actually the more acceptable one. DL is probably the worst, that red is just so unnecessarily "loud".
Couldn't disagree more. The red "Deltalina" dress is fantastic. What a concept, an American carrier with style ^
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm not ashamed t say that I like the new blue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.