Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are e-cigarette's allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Are e-cigarette's allowed?

Flew DEN-NRT and the passenger next to me was clearly huffing and puffing on their e-cigarrette during the flight. Is this allowed? I am familiar with the concept and have seen it a number of times being used in Hawaii, but was not sure if they were allowed or not.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Unfortunately, I believe they are allowed.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA says:
The use of electronic, simulated smoking materials (such as electronic cigarettes, pipes or cigars) is prohibited on United Airlines.
This is buried on their dangerous goods policy page ( https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...dangerous.aspx ). You might also try looking for it in the in-flight magazine, Hemispheres.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Nope.

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...dangerous.aspx
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mherdeg
UA says
Thanks for posting that. This is one case where I'm glad to be wrong. Though it sounds like at least one team of FAs doesn't know about this either.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trust77
Flew DEN-NRT and the passenger next to me was clearly huffing and puffing on their e-cigarrette during the flight. Is this allowed? I am familiar with the concept and have seen it a number of times being used in Hawaii, but was not sure if they were allowed or not.
the allowability of e-cigs is a gray area and in general unless specifically disallowed (and cigarette bans strictly do not apply) then there is no prohibition. Many entities are looking at re-writing their rules to also ban e-cigs or including e-cigs in the cigarette bans.

Technology moving fast than the rules.

HOWEVER UA has ban e-cigs (but the FAA or DOT have not)

The use of electronic, simulated smoking materials (such as electronic cigarettes, pipes or cigars) is prohibited on United Airlines.
Perhaps out of date , Sorry Smokers, You Can't Use Electronic Cigarettes On Airplanes (2013)
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Hemispheres says:

"We prohibit the use of electronic simulated somking devices (cigarettes, pipes, cigars, etc.) on our flights."

Too bad they don't prohibit chewing tobacco, too. I had a totally unpleasant flight recently sitting next to a jerk who was cursing me (after I booted him from my seat he poached) between brownish spits into a 20 oz. soda bottle.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by jsl42

Too bad they don't prohibit chewing tobacco, too. I had a totally unpleasant flight recently sitting next to a jerk who was cursing me (after I booted him from my seat he poached) between brownish spits into a 20 oz. soda bottle.
Nice image! I used to work with a guy who would spit into the wastebasket near me - needless to say, it was a summer job..
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsl42
I wonder if durian is prohibited...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Given the Dreamliner "issues", I at first was alarmed because it appeared that smoke was rising from the lavatory near 3E (I was in 3D and we had just taken off), so when I began looking around I was releived to see it was just my seat mate using e-cigs which I now know are banned on UA flights. I will report this to the flight attendants next time. FWIW, he quite using it the last half of the flight, but still.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I hate smoking and cigarettes, but I can't understand why someone would find these offensive, unless they misunderstand the technology.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I hate smoking and cigarettes, but I can't understand why someone would find these offensive, unless they misunderstand the technology.
My friend uses one and the thing is, they do have an odor, albeit it very slight.

I'm all for allowing smoking on airplanes still (that's a totally different discussion), but it's not like these things are totally harmless.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Feb 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Use of Ecig is banned. Possession is not. And not that I would suggest this but the bathrooms smoke detectors don't pick up vapor. Also you can hold the vapor long enough it will not be visible when you exhale. I would never do it at my seat to many passengers over react to small things.

On a side note somewhat on topic as an Ecig user how in the world has the FDA not started studies on this. Everyone is banning because they are "unhealthy" but no one wants to actually prove or disprove it.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
That OK, I can't understand anyone who considers them acceptable.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My friend uses one and the thing is, they do have an odor, albeit it very slight.

I'm all for allowing smoking on airplanes still (that's a totally different discussion), but it's not these things are totally harmless.
The odor depends on the flavor of the vapor. There are alot of fruity flavors people vape and those tend to have more odor. Lots of menthol/minty flavors to.

As a former smoker now vapor I am not in favor of smoking on a plane not because I hate the smell but the fact that if other people were smoking next to me for that long I would have to switch back to an analog cigarette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.