FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

bmwe92fan Apr 13, 2024 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 36158526)
1K but waitlisted for a Polaris upgrade by brother who is GS (so GS PP), so #2 on the list. Person who was #5 yesterday cleared today but 1,2,3,4 haven’t changed. What would explain this?

my mind jumped to shenanigans but I’m sure there are legit reasons too?

They realized they would never clear so they paid for the upgrade....

bmw303 Apr 13, 2024 7:40 pm

Didn’t realize paid upgrades show on the upgrade list but makes sense

cfischer Apr 13, 2024 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 36158556)
Didn’t realize paid upgrades show on the upgrade list but makes sense

They can.

cmculp Apr 14, 2024 10:47 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 36158533)
They realized they would never clear so they paid for the upgrade....

this is usually the answer. Once the UG list populates on flight status, paid upgrades show as cleared. Another possibility is a GS who seeing himself fifth applied plus points which lifted him to first. If PN was >0, that would have cleared instantly.

Kacee Apr 14, 2024 11:57 am

Originally Posted by cmculp (Post 36159749)
Once the UG list populates on flight status, paid upgrades show as cleared.

Sometimes. Sometimes not.

Originally Posted by cmculp (Post 36159749)
Another possibility is a GS who seeing himself fifth applied plus points which lifted him to first. If PN was >0, that would have cleared instantly.

This was a Polaris flight according to OP. GS wouldn't have been listed without PP applied.

Oregonflyer Apr 14, 2024 12:17 pm

I had a similar situation last week.

Coming back on a TATL flight my connecting evening flight was delayed and I accepted the offer to rebook, spend the night, and connect the next morning. On the new flight, the UG list showed two PAX cleared and assigned seats. That looked odd since there were only two J seats still being sold. This was about 16 hours out from the flight. Since I had never seen an UG list like that I called GS to ask if they could possibly push an upgrade and in the conversation was told that only one PAX had been cleared, not two. By the morning, the two J seats were gone, J was check in full, and the list looked the same. I got on the plane in E+ and ten minutes before departure I got a text saying I had been upgraded - into one of the seats assigned to one of the cleared PAX on the list.

Now this at least half makes sense. From what has been said, it seems likely that one of the PAX had done bought a DOD upgrade and was still showing on the upgrade list. As for the other, it is possible (although somewhat unlikely in my experience) that someone would check-in, buy the upgrade, and miss the flight, so I am also wondering if an air marshal or deadheading pilot might show up on the UG list and have been cleared in advance. Is that a possibility as well?

Kacee Apr 14, 2024 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oregonflyer (Post 36159932)
II am also wondering if an air marshal or deadheading pilot might show up on the UG list and have been cleared in advance. Is that a possibility as well?

FAM, no. NRPS, possible.