FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

MileTrek Feb 25, 2024 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ChazzaBazza (Post 36027239)
I also recently had this where I was a single traveler on a reservation using GS pluspoints on a 737 from JAC-EWR that went out 11/12 full. I asked the gate agent before boarding if an upgrade would clear and she said “they seem to be blocking one seat, I’m not sure why, I’d the pilot says it’s ok we will move you.” Needless to say this didn’t happen and when I looked forward it seemed the window in the bulkhead was what was left empty.

JAC-LAX yesterday they were blocking seats due to weight restrictions. Was coach full? Otherwise maybe the F seat was inoperative somehow..

ghurty Mar 15, 2024 9:02 am

Upgrade priority - gold on mileage, or silver on paid -thanks

Who has a higher upgrade priority? A gold member flying on a mileage ticket (with the united club card, so that gets upgrades), or a silver member on a paid ticket?
And for two members of the same status, one with a mileage (and club card) and the other with a paid ticket, does paid get higher priority?

Thank you

jsloan Mar 15, 2024 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ghurty (Post 36082623)
Who has a higher upgrade priority? A gold member flying on a mileage ticket (with the united club card, so that gets upgrades), or a silver member on a paid ticket?
And for two members of the same status, one with a mileage (and club card) and the other with a paid ticket, does paid get higher priority?

Thank you

I mean, neither a Gold nor a Silver is particularly likely to be upgraded on most routes, so you're really talking about who gets 'bragging rights' to be ahead of the other at #15 on the list. :)

That said -- and assuming this is a Complimentary Premier Upgrade route -- in the first scenario, the Gold member has priority. In the second scenario, the member on a paid fare has priority.

Kmxu Mar 15, 2024 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ghurty (Post 36082623)

Thank you

The key is to lower your expectation. You will be nicely surprised if you get upgraded. For very short routes, you may get the upgrade. For longer routes with lots of premier members, the chance is slim.

Kacee Mar 15, 2024 10:37 am

Priority is status, then fare class. So Gold over Silver, and for two persons of equivalent status, paid over award.

lincolnjkc Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am

I'm overthinking this (actually procrastinating on something I really should be but don't want to be doing :) )

Given the cross-referenced upgrade list below. what is the most likely reason for #8, #9, #15, and #16 on the Business list not appearing on the PP list -- Y bookings where they chose to apply PP/Miles for Business and went all-or-nothing, right? If they were already in Premium Plus they'd be ahead of all passengers waitlited for both or is there another scenario where this makes sense (FWIW #4 is a 1K, so guessing 5 and below are either 1K or lower or possibly GS in Y)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d23f3a5479.png

friedablass Mar 21, 2024 9:00 am

Not sure what the answer to this is, but my understanding is that normally GS in Y would be ahead of all 1K on the J list even those in PP.

Repooc17 Mar 21, 2024 9:04 am

Personally, I have never waitlisted for PE. I just don't think PE is worth the use of +P...assuming there are people with similar thinking process.

Good of you to put multiple lists on the same table. Definitely easier to visualize and rationalize.

findark Mar 21, 2024 9:25 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 36097869)
I'm overthinking this (actually procrastinating on something I really should be but don't want to be doing :) )

Given the cross-referenced upgrade list below. what is the most likely reason for #8, #9, #15, and #16 on the Business list not appearing on the PP list -- Y bookings where they chose to apply PP/Miles for Business and went all-or-nothing, right? If they were already in Premium Plus they'd be ahead of all passengers waitlited for both or is there another scenario where this makes sense (FWIW #4 is a 1K, so guessing 5 and below are either 1K or lower or possibly GS in Y)

If they applied Plus Points for both cabins and are confirmed in RN, it would look the same. Clearing an instrument upgrade to PE doesn't increase your position on the J waitlist. For example, they might have cleared to RN long ago at booking, and later on others applied points for both cabins. Or they could indeed be doing an all-or-nothing request for J only.

As mentioned, anyone with a GS instrument applied (whether or not themselves GS, and not including a GS with a non-GS instrument) would be ahead of all others on the J waitlist and would generally be higher than #4 because of this.

mc1263 Mar 23, 2024 7:53 am

Help me understand upgrade priority please.

@WineCountryUA. Firstly thanks for YEARS of help here at FT. I have a new one for you and the community.

My work buddy and I are both new to 1k (after decades of GS). We are of course bitter about it. :-)

We are trying to make sense of the upgrade list and cannot figure it.

Earlier this week he was flying on a paid fare (I do not know which fare class). He is 1k and had +P applied. Another colleague on same flight is platinum and no plus points. The platinum guy was ahead of my 1k buddy on upgrade list.

Tomorrow my wife and I are flying on a V fare BNA-IAH. We are both 1k (mine is earned hers is million miler matched). We have applied plus points. We are 7 and 8 on the upgrade list. Really hard to imagine 6 GS on a Sunday morning BNA flight ??? Or maybe a tonne of UA employees on work travel ??

what can you tell me ? What are the upgrade priority rules that I do not understand??

Kmxu Mar 23, 2024 8:30 am

You used to be ahead of the line, waitlisted for PN spaces. Now, you join the over-entitled 1K crowds (welcome to the PZ spaces line). Anyone with GS’s PPs and 1Ks with higher fare classes (also requested PP upgrade) are ahead of you and your wife.

I cannot answer the other situation for your buddy. It looked unlikely the case if what you said were true.

Add: A good thread for 1Ks: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2077327-way-dodo-1k-upgrades-pp-cpu.html

jsloan Mar 23, 2024 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mc1263 (Post 36103304)
Earlier this week he was flying on a paid fare (I do not know which fare class). He is 1k and had +P applied. Another colleague on same flight is platinum and no plus points. The platinum guy was ahead of my 1k buddy on upgrade list.

That’s not supposed to happen. Is the Platinum guy also an ex-GS? The only (correct) way for someone on a CPU to be ahead of anybody with an upgrade instrument applied is for the CPU passenger to be GS.

Tomorrow my wife and I are flying on a V fare BNA-IAH. We are both 1k (mine is earned hers is million miler matched). We have applied plus points. We are 7 and 8 on the upgrade list. Really hard to imagine 6 GS on a Sunday morning BNA flight ??? Or maybe a tonne of UA employees on work travel ??

Doesn’t have to be 6 GSes — just 6 passengers on GS instruments. You may have found a GS family returning from Spring Break or something.

WineCountryUA Mar 23, 2024 10:20 am

.. We are trying to make sense of the upgrade list and cannot figure it.
What are the upgrade priority rules that I do not understand??

As ex-GS, anything GS prevails over all others. A GS, a GS PNR companion, GS PlusPoints / Miles gifted to another, ...

The basic (simplified ) rules are

Waitlist priority for all flights
  1. United Global Services® requests
  2. PlusPoints upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards
  3. Premier status of the traveler*
  4. Fare class
  5. Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders and Presidential Plus cardholders
  6. United Corporate Preferred participants
  7. United Chase Cardmembers with $25,000 in annual spending
  8. Date and time of request

Note GS at the top. This is managed by GS rated request being eligible for PN space and everyone else (except 1Ks wit YBM fare on CPU route) is PZ

Other have provide possible explanations, all involving GS related situations. Note Positive Space employees are not waitlisting and and Space Available employees will not be ahead of paying customers.

The Platinum case (being a plat myself in retirement) suggests there is more to the situation than presented. But likely a GS supported situation.

findark Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 36103471)
Doesn’t have to be 6 GSes — just 6 passengers on GS instruments. You may have found a GS family returning from Spring Break or something.

Or just 1Ks on higher fare classes with instruments. Or 1Ks on YBM fares with no instruments.

bmw303 Apr 13, 2024 7:21 pm

Upgrade list. Confused.

1K but waitlisted for a Polaris upgrade by brother who is GS (so GS PP), so #2 on the list. Person who was #5 yesterday cleared today but 1,2,3,4 haven’t changed. What would explain this?

my mind jumped to shenanigans but I’m sure there are legit reasons too?