FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Chase UA PQD Waiver Q&A: when updated, calendar year, cancellation,.. [Consoldiated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1549993-chase-ua-pqd-waiver-q-when-updated-calendar-year-cancellation-consoldiated.html)

Dr Jabadski Feb 8, 2014 2:26 pm

Chase UA PQD Waiver Q&A: when updated, calendar year, cancellation,.. [Consoldiated]

Although it’s only helpful up to Platinum, many people will take advantage of this route to Premier status. On its website, “View Premier progress” link, UA indicates:

Premier status qualification information

YTD Premier qualifying miles: xxx
YTD Premier qualifying segments: xxx
YTD Premier qualifying dollars: $xxx
4 flight segment minimum: Waived
Credit card spend PQD waiver Not met

PQD waiver status is updated weekly based on year-to-date spending with your MileagePlus credit card(s), as provided to United by Chase.
The implication of the last sentence is that Chase is providing UA with linked credit card spending information. Just because I so love hitting my head against a wall, I called Chase to ask the amount of my year-to-date spending with my MileagePlus credit card. Although the rep was very nice, she was clueless about it, as is I suspect all of Chase. She offered to add up my monthly statement balances, I can do that just as quickly and (with closing dates on the 6th of the month) some of those balances was spending in 2013. She told me the number of miles posted to UA with the comment “since it’s usually 1 mile per dollar that should be the amount charged”. With large balances on Jan 6th much of that was spending in 2013 and with 1.5 miles per dollar for my Club card and triple mile for UA purchases and double miles for gas/grocery/restaurants for my UA Select card, my miles posted far exceeds the dollars charged.

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there a quick and easy way to determine one’s “year-to-date spending with … MileagePlus credit card(s), as provided to United by Chase”? Do we just wait for the “Not met” in the quote above to somehow magically change to “met”? Any way to verify that Chase and/or UA have the correct information?

Thank you.

WineCountryUA Feb 8, 2014 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 22312041)

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there a quick and easy way to determine one’s “year-to-date spending with … MileagePlus credit card(s), as provided to United by Chase”? Do we just wait for the “Not met” in the quote above to somehow magically change to “met”? Any way to verify that Chase and/or UA have the correct information?

Thank you.

:confused:

First you have learned Chase does not provide the agents with YTD spending (and neither does the online account) -- so not directly available. Not surprising since I doubt 99.9% of the customers care (even with the addition of PQDs). That seems to answer, is it available?

Second the agent mentions adding the statements (which can easily one time be corrected for previous year calender spending) This could be done in spreadsheet and updated monthly -- 60 seconds max. And if you really wanted to add the Month to Date spending which Chases offers online, you have the number with little effort. You have the raw data, not sure the about the concern to verify????

If you don't trust UA/Chase -- track it yourself or trust UA/Chase

BTW I have track the numbers for years because of the PQM spend bonus and have never have a raise to be concerned on the accuracy.

Dr Jabadski Feb 8, 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22312101)
:confused:

First you have learned Chase does not provide the agents with YTD spending (and neither does the online account) -- so not directly available. Not surprising since I doubt 99.9% of the customers care (even with the addition of PQDs). That seems to answer, is it available?

Second the agent mentions adding the statements (which can easily one time be corrected for previous year calender spending) This could be done in spreadsheet and updated monthly -- 60 seconds max. And if you really wanted to add the Month to Date spending which Chases offers online, you have the number with little effort. You have the raw data, not sure the about the concern to verify????

If you don't trust UA/Chase -- track it yourself or trust UA/Chase

BTW I have track the numbers for years because of the PQM spend bonus and have never have a raise to be concerned on the accuracy.

Thanks for your reply. I can easily calculate my numbers, my questions are can Chase and UA correctly do the same thing? If they cannot tell me how much I’ve spent until now, how will they know when I’ve surpassed $25K? (Maybe they simply have a No/Yes toggle built into the system?) Regarding concern to verify, it’s the same reason I balance my checking accounts periodically and verify my miles and points postings and review my brokerage and credit card statements and my paystubs and W-2 forms; pretty much anything having to do with dollars and someone else’s calculation of my dollars. Between fraud and incompetence and computer bugs, there are many reasons to verify. Perhaps on this topic we can agree to disagree. Thank you again.

(I too have tracked all my numbers for years and I DO have reason for concern. I’ve had fraudulent charges post to my credit card accounts, I’ve been notified by credit card issuers that my account(s) have been compromised and thus closed with new accounts issued, I’ve had significant numbers of points and miles NOT post as they should. According to many others here regarding various specific topics (points, miles) plenty of other people also verify on a regular basis.)

pgur Feb 8, 2014 4:01 pm

They probably count your chase miles

If you are earning miles in your MP account from your spending on the Chase MP credit card, I am sure they have figured a logic within the Mileage program to count the dollars spent.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 22312301)
Thanks for your reply. I can easily calculate my numbers, my questions are can Chase and UA correctly do the same thing? If they cannot tell me how much I’ve spent until now, how will they know when I’ve surpassed $25K? (Maybe they simply have a No/Yes toggle built into the system?) Regarding concern to verify, it’s the same reason I balance my checking accounts periodically and verify my miles and points postings and review my brokerage and credit card statements and my paystubs and W-2 forms; pretty much anything having to do with dollars and someone else’s calculation of my dollars. Between fraud and incompetence and computer bugs, there are many reasons to verify. Perhaps on this topic we can agree to disagree. Thank you again.

(I too have tracked all my numbers for years and I DO have reason for concern. I’ve had fraudulent charges post to my credit card accounts, I’ve been notified by credit card issuers that my account(s) have been compromised and thus closed with new accounts issued, I’ve had significant numbers of points and miles NOT post as they should. According to many others here regarding various specific topics (points, miles) plenty of other people also verify on a regular basis.)

FlyerChrisK Feb 8, 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 22312301)
Thanks for your reply. I can easily calculate my numbers, my questions are can Chase and UA correctly do the same thing? If they cannot tell me how much I’ve spent until now, how will they know when I’ve surpassed $25K?

It's quite possible they have the infrastructure to answer this question for purposes of the PQD waiver, but do not expose it to front-end call center agents...

mgcsinc Feb 8, 2014 11:33 pm

My biggest question is if by spending within the calendar year, they actually mean spending within the calendar year.

WineCountryUA Feb 8, 2014 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22314112)
My biggest question is if by spending within the calendar year, they actually mean spending within the calendar year.

For the $35K spending PQM bonus, it is calendar year (not billing periods)

Dr Jabadski Feb 9, 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pgur (Post 22312427)
If you are earning miles in your MP account from your spending on the Chase MP credit card, I am sure they have figured a logic within the Mileage program to count the dollars spent.

This makes a lot of sense … except for the fact that different Chase UA products earn different miles per dollar. Select is 1 mile per $, plus 2 more miles per $ for UA purchase and 1 more mile per $ for gas/grocery/restaurants/home improvement. Club is 1.5 miles per $ for everything. Explorer is 1 mile per $ and 1 more for UA ticket purchases.

However, for my Chase UA credit card and MP accounts, the miles each month are broken down in various categories. For the Select card (paraphrasing); miles on all purchases, miles on UA purchases, additional miles on UA purchases, miles at gas stn, grocery, home imp, rest, bonus miles at gas stn, grocery, home imp, rest, total miles transferred to UA. For the Club card (paraphrasing); miles on all purchases, 50% bonus miles on all purchases, additional miles on UA purchases. And of course for January statements it’s impossible to determine 2013 vs 2014 spending based on miles posting. So perhaps they are simply track base miles for each account, which would represent amount charged. Considering that many credit cards these days include a “year end summary” it would seem much easier to just go by spending from January 1. My main issue is the current inability for us to find out where Chase and UA think we are in this situation.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 22314045)
It's quite possible they have the infrastructure to answer this question for purposes of the PQD waiver, but do not expose it to front-end call center agents...

Absolutely, agreed. Sad but possibly true.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22314157)
For the $35K spending PQM bonus, it is calendar year (not billing periods)

As it is for the Select card PQMs for UA purchases, which they do stop at 5000, regardless of total annual UA purchases and which UA has always been happy to discuss in detail. So clearly the infrastructure is there. It’s annoying and confusing that they will discuss PQMs earned via credit card UA purchases but not total UA linked credit card spending.

Hopefully it’s just growing pains and once the system is more established we’ll be able to call and be told (for example) “Hello Mr Jones, thus far to date you have charged $17,234.65 on your United linked Chase credit cards(s), with just $7765.35 more you will qualify for the PQD waiver for status up to Platinum.” (And we can then say or think “great, that’s exactly what I thought” or “uh oh, I know I’ve charged well over $20,000, what’s the problem”.)

WineCountryUA Feb 9, 2014 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 22315628)
As it is for the Select card PQMs for UA purchases, which they do stop at 5000, regardless of total annual UA purchases and which UA has always been happy to discuss in detail. So clearly the infrastructure is there. It’s annoying and confusing that they will discuss PQMs earned via credit card UA purchases but not total UA linked credit card spending.

Hopefully it’s just growing pains and once the system is more established we’ll be able to call and be told (for example) “Hello Mr Jones, thus far to date you have charged $17,234.65 on your United linked Chase credit cards(s), with just $7765.35 more you will qualify for the PQD waiver for status up to Platinum.” (And we can then say or think “great, that’s exactly what I thought” or “uh oh, I know I’ve charged well over $20,000, what’s the problem”.)

I would not be surprized if the functionality is not added.

It does not exist for either of the dollar limits for Purchase PQMs or Spending Threshold PQMs. And for now, the number of customers looking for such functionality is probably very low.

For now, as I do with the lower limits, I will track myself. Incrementally it is very simple.

groobie Feb 14, 2014 11:41 am

UA will not update status

I'm actually really angry, having just spent half an hour on the phone with UA. I have just passed 50k miles and have spent 25k on the Explorer card. My statement posted on 2/11 - about 500 miles short because a UA ticket had not yet gone from pending to posted. It has since posted. I sent a DM to the UA twitter account asking what day of the week that the status updates, because of the statement on their own website: "PQD waiver status is updated weekly based on year-to-date spending with your MileagePlus credit card(s), as provided to United by Chase." I was told that "it may take up to 30 days." I called and was escalated to a supervisor, who has told me in no uncertain terms that I would have to wait until my next billing cycle posts and that there is no way for them to update my status to gold until then. The agent at Chase said she'd be happy to call UA and verify that I've spent over 25k, but that she's tried it before and it doesn't work - UA won't change the status until "they see it in black and white."

I have three upcoming reservations totalling 22,902 RDMs between now and my next statement. By not being given the gold status that I have already met the qualifications for, I am losing out on 5726 bonus RDMs, higher upgrade status, the ability to select economy plus seating now, and the possibility of doing free same day changes.

I want to know why the information made on UA's website does not match what I'm being told by their customer service agents. I want to know why I am not being given the status that I have already earned now. UA changed the rules about how to earn status, and it seems that some of those rules were not fully disclosed to its customers.

#UnitedUnFriendly

mgcsinc Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by groobie (Post 22349184)
I'm actually really angry, having just spent half an hour on the phone with UA. I have just passed 50k miles and have spent 25k on the Explorer card. My statement posted on 2/11 - about 500 miles short because a UA ticket had not yet gone from pending to posted. It has since posted. I sent a DM to the UA twitter account asking what day of the week that the status updates, because of the statement on their own website: "PQD waiver status is updated weekly based on year-to-date spending with your MileagePlus credit card(s), as provided to United by Chase." I was told that "it may take up to 30 days." I called and was escalated to a supervisor, who has told me in no uncertain terms that I would have to wait until my next billing cycle posts and that there is no way for them to update my status to gold until then. The agent at Chase said she'd be happy to call UA and verify that I've spent over 25k, but that she's tried it before and it doesn't work - UA won't change the status until "they see it in black and white."

I have three upcoming reservations totalling 22,902 RDMs between now and my next statement. By not being given the gold status that I have already met the qualifications for, I am losing out on 5726 bonus RDMs, higher upgrade status, the ability to select economy plus seating now, and the possibility of doing free same day changes.

I want to know why the information made on UA's website does not match what I'm being told by their customer service agents. I want to know why I am not being given the status that I have already earned now. UA changed the rules about how to earn status, and it seems that some of those rules were not fully disclosed to its customers.

#UnitedUnFriendly

You've already flown 50,000 miles in this calendar year?

groobie Feb 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22349233)
You've already flown 50,000 miles in this calendar year?

YTD Premier qualifying miles: 54,586
YTD Premier qualifying segments: 28
YTD Premier qualifying dollars: $1,190
4 flight segment minimum: 4 of 4
Credit card spend PQD waiver: Not met

Though, as I said, I have actually spent more than $25k on my Explorer card in 2014.

mgcsinc Feb 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by groobie (Post 22349363)

Though, as I said, I have actually spent more than $25k on my Explorer card in 2014.

Lolz. Widerow?

anc-ord772 Feb 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by groobie (Post 22349363)

Send a PM to UA Insider. See what Aaron says.

mgcsinc Feb 14, 2014 12:18 pm

UA seems like a really odd choice for someone flying 50,000 miles a month at 2 cpm, considering that the waiver can only get you to Plat.