PQD Psychology at work.. United won...

Old Feb 7, 14, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

A few times this year (after I narrowly avoided fleeing to DL) I've been booking airfare and noticed the flights I want are "expensive". And I find myself thinking, "Well, at least it will count towards PQD!"

Has anyone else noticed this? It's really taken the sting off that $500 ERJ hop to podunk USA, or the extra hundred or two to get a better routing or timing.

In general I'm less mad and more inclined to book uneconomical airfares since it pads my PQD total.

The worst part is, I'm pretty sure I don't really even need the padding!
Old Feb 7, 14, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

Yup

And once I hit $10000 I'm going cheap on the 1k journey should make for a rough Q4.
Old Feb 7, 14, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Yup, I do the same. I came in just short of my necessary PQDs last year, so I'm willing to pay a small premium this year for better times/dates. I'm mostly ok with this. I suspect there will be fewer "why the hell did I book that terrible redeye?" instances this year.
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:08 pm

Yes, this is definitely happening to me, though in a different way. Since I forecast that I'm on the borderline of $10K spend, I'm still booking as normal for now, and will see where I am in Oct/Nov, when I may need to intentionally buying higher fares.

However, where I used to wait and scour for cheapo K/G/N fares, I find myself spending less time searching and just booking whatever is available fitting my schedule and best CPU chances.
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Unless you're in the minority of folks who were WAY off the $10k spend for 1K benefits in the past, I'm not sure why PQD would do anything but annoy you... It's not like there's a PQD "race" in the same way that there's a mileage race.

Miles have at least some intrinsic value. UA may devalue them, but at least for now, their value is still >0. PQDs have NO intrinsic value.

Ergo, for every $1 over $10,000 that you paid to get to 1K, you're essentially throwing money down the toilet. UA has told you what the value of 1K is. Why willingly pay any more than you absolutely have to? I'm surprised the race isn't to engineer your spend to finish the year as close to $10,001 PQD as possible!
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
By making you aware of spend, it opens the door to making Elite status totally spend based, which would probably benefit the OP.
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
i definately have waited a few extra days to book some work travel.
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Same for me. Whereas I used to look for the lowest fare for work travel -- and Travel doesn't really care, so long as I don't try to book myself into Y, B, M or something like -- I'm trying to factor (higher) spend into the equation. I used to request odd itineraries purely to up my EQMs; now I'm doing the same, but trying to increase the PQD, too (without getting ridiculous).

I'll see where I stand at the end of 2014. I'm projecting that I'll drop from gold to silver. If my PQD spend is just too far off the mark this year, I may not make it such a priority in years to come. I didn't like this change, and it's because I suspect I'm going to be one of the casualties.
Old Feb 7, 14, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
I dont know that it works on everyone. I moved to another airline, although PQD's were only part of that decision.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jasonp622 View Post
i definately have waited a few extra days to book some work travel.
Originally Posted by iapetus View Post
I'm trying to factor (higher) spend into the equation. I used to request odd itineraries purely to up my EQMs; now I'm doing the same, but trying to increase the PQD, too (without getting ridiculous).
I wonder when employers will start firing people for defrauding them.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
No way - not worth it

I'm not justifying paying more to get PQD's - that is insane.

I have ZERO PQD's so far this year and am putting as much as possible on my Chase card to qualify for the exemption.

Made PLAT to boot based on the "free" status upgrade offered one day after I dropped down to Gold.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
A few times this year (after I narrowly avoided fleeing to DL) I've been booking airfare and noticed the flights I want are "expensive". And I find myself thinking, "Well, at least it will count towards PQD!"

Has anyone else noticed this? It's really taken the sting off that $500 ERJ hop to podunk USA, or the extra hundred or two to get a better routing or timing.

In general I'm less mad and more inclined to book uneconomical airfares since it pads my PQD total.

The worst part is, I'm pretty sure I don't really even need the padding!
exact opposite for me. PQD plus other UA issues have been such a thorn in my side that i'll spend more to accrue to AS, even when that program has no PQD requirement. UA is consistently the cheapest on about 70% of my routes but DL/AS are getting 80+% of my business...regardless of whether its OPM or my own.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Gold
I agree the decision making process has completely changed for me. I'm visiting my sister in Las Vegas a lot more at flights around 10cpm, which never used to happen when I was going to NYC for 4 cpm.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
In the same boat as a few people on this thread. I make monthly trips to BKK and would easily qualify for PQD if I could fly all UA metal... I was happy to fly other *A airlines but it's just too much of a hassle for me to mix match airlines within one itinerary to get enough PQD so I'm trying out the EXP challenge with AA so I can switch to fly CX.... Not something I wanted to do but since I hit 1MM, very little incentive to stick around... Never thought this day would come as UA has always treated me well.
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:56 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I wonder when employers will start firing people for defrauding them.
Agreed.

I cannot get myself to book another ERJ/CRJ flight with UA for a host of reasons and this PQD is the last straw.

Flying DEN-YYZ on AC last week was an eye opener compared to all the years of flying crappy UA CRJs. No way am I going to spend more than the bare minimum on UA.

Search this Thread