Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA selling tickets/showing flights on non-* Alliance -- PQD/PQM?

Old Feb 7, 14, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

i was messing around on google flights trying to find a ticket i need to buy from NYC to RNO later this year. fares are outrageous in general so i am trying to get creative.

found an option that includes UA from EWR-LAX and AA from LAX-RNO for a borderline acceptable price.

i was surprised to find that google flights would redirect me to .bomb to purchase the ticket rather than a OTA. .bomb indicates "We will request confirmation of your flights from Skywest Airlines dba American Eagle. This process may take up to 24 hours. Your credit card will not be charged until your flights are confirmed and your ticket is issued."

has anyone done this before? i assume the ticket issues on all 016 stock and both segments would accrue to UA for PQM and PQD?
Old Feb 7, 14, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Sure, I've included a variety of non-*A non-partner OA segments on UA 016 tickets.

The AA seg won't earn any PQM/PQS/PQD on UA; you can credit it to AA or one of AA's partner programs.
Old Feb 7, 14, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
i assume the ticket issues on all 016 stock and both segments would accrue to UA for PQM and PQD?
No PQM or PQD earnings for an AA operated flight. Only earned on *A or MP Partners. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/qualify.aspx
Old Feb 9, 14, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
UA website selling flights on AS?

Just tried to book a one-way ticket OGG-ERW for mid-March. The cheapest ticket prices appear under the "Partner Flights" listing but the first segments are on AS . The options for the first segments are from OGG-SEA or OGG-SMF.

How long has UA been selling flights on AS?

AS doesn't list as a MP partner on UA's website so what about mileage earning on the AS segments?
Old Feb 9, 14, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
i asked a similar question the other day: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-pqd-pqm.html
Old Feb 9, 14, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
AS doesn't list as a MP partner on UA's website so what about mileage earning on the AS segments?
Nil. Not all flights sold on the UA website earn miles.
Old Feb 14, 14, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Am I crazy...United.com shows BA flights??

I couldn't find any thread and apologize if covered ad nauseam but looking at flights to CPT ex-BOS and saw British Airways routing as an option from LHR...how does that work with mileage accrual and have I been living under a rock??

Depart:
5:35 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 4, 2014
London, England (LHR - Heathrow)
Arrive:
7:00 a.m. +1 Day
Wed., Nov. 5, 2014
Cape Town ZA (CPT)
Flight Time:
11 hr 25 mn

Travel Time:
28 hr 12 mn
Distance:
5,994 miles
Total Distance:
9,661 miles
Flight: BA43
Operated by British Airways.
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Fare Class: Economy (B)
Old Feb 14, 14, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sterndogg View Post
I couldn't find any thread and apologize if covered ad nauseam but looking at flights to CPT ex-BOS and saw British Airways routing as an option from LHR...how does that work with mileage accrual and have I been living under a rock??

Depart:
5:35 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 4, 2014
London, England (LHR - Heathrow)
Arrive:
7:00 a.m. +1 Day
Wed., Nov. 5, 2014
Cape Town ZA (CPT)
Flight Time:
11 hr 25 mn

Travel Time:
28 hr 12 mn
Distance:
5,994 miles
Total Distance:
9,661 miles
Flight: BA43
Operated by British Airways.
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Fare Class: Economy (B)
No United miles.
Old Feb 14, 14, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
They offer some connections on non-partners now and then; I've had Alaska come up too. They're just booking it I guess like kayak or whatever would, but you don't earn anything for it.
Old Feb 15, 14, 8:10 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles

I've had connection to QF included when flying to BNE (LAX-SYD-BNE)
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Shigernafy View Post
They offer some connections on non-partners now and then; I've had Alaska come up too. They're just booking it I guess like kayak or whatever would, but you don't earn anything for it.
When you show up at the airport for your partner flight, have the check-in agent or gate agent add your frequent flyer number for the partner airlines' program. Same thing if United has to rebook you on another airline because their flight cancelled.
Old Feb 17, 14, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS
When did AS become a partner with UA?

Old Feb 17, 14, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
No requirement for an airline to be a partner for UA to sell tickets on flights they operate. You'll regularly see flights from BA, CX, VS, etc. offered on UA.com, depending on the routing and fares you're searching for.

The language on the website (that uses the word "partner") could definitely be improved.
Old Feb 17, 14, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
In the past few months, united.com has gotten a lot more aggressive about selling flights operated by other carriers (acting as a travel agent rather than just an airline).

I expect that this thread will be silently merged into another thread that covers the situation.

My wild guess is that UA is trying to help sell non-UA flights on UA ticket stock in response to customer requests to help do this for PQD reasons — my guess is that the technical changes they've made to make this happen have opened up booking a LOT of different flights on UA ticket stock, even on flights not at all eligible for mileage or PQD accrual.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-pqd-pqm.html , maybe http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-flights.html for an earlier example of this happening occasionally.
Old Feb 17, 14, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
you even get PQD on UA flights on non-016 ticket stock.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: